The Meaning of Life (Migrating Thread)

Discussion in 'Intelligence & Machines' started by Adam, Apr 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porfiry Nomad Staff Member

Whoops. Forgot to move this thread.

This thread is now in BIOLOGY & GENETICS

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Reproduction. Plain old life cycles.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Xev Registered Senior Member

As per Loone:

BOINKING!!!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Shaggin' like a tree full of monkeys on nitrous oxide...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. Xev Registered Senior Member

Life....shagging....death....life....shagging...death...

It's the circle of life!

9. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The Lion King has a lot to answer for.

10. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

If we are only looking at it biologicaly then yes life exists to spread itself

11. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

The life that currently exists does exist because it is the life which, through natural selection, is the life which existed ands continued to exist. I know I'm not explaining that very well at all. But it's hardwired into us. It's what we do. All other options died out.

EDIT: fixed spelling.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2002
  12. Xev Registered Senior Member

Deep, man, deep.

And, what with all the subliminal messages in Diseny films, I think the Lion King does have a lot to answer for.

"We are the universe trying to understand itself" -Carl Sagan

13. wet1 Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Life exists to fill it's niche as completely as possible. If "shagging" were less than fun or had no enjoyment to it a species would be less inclined to spend valuable energy participating in some activity that does not provide extension to life for the individual organisim. For a species a with long gestation time, that is a lot of care to perform, not to mention the life threating situtations that arise in the wild due to this activity.

There had to be some way to ensure that a species would want to continue this behavour to make sure that its survival continued. Otherwise it is an evolutary dead end. Which of itself is a solution but not the solution that mother nature intended. There could be a case made of the human species enjoing it more than say horses because we have been so sucessful in filling our own niche. It has been remarked on before that man will "mate" with anything that moves. Wnile it was meant as a joke there may be more truth to it than what first meets the eye.

14. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I have herd that there are only 2 species that have sex for recreation, Humans and dolphines

15. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

Monkeys go at it whenever. Dogs love to hump legs. I won't tell you what Australians do...

16. Porfiry Nomad Staff Member

It's all about the <A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0192860925/qid=1018731653/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/103-2394081-0075046">selfish gene</A>.

17. Eflex tha Vybe Scientist Registered Senior Member

IMO,
    Life is what you make it.

As humans, we are blessed with the ability to think and to reason.

Therefore, as we collectively evolve, humanity will eventually learn to live in relative harmony.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2002
  18. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

19. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

I think my last post was wrong. I think it should have been we both are the only ones who have sex for PLEASURE not recreation

20. scilosopher Registered Senior Member

Personally I would distinguish between the meaning of life and the meaning you give to your own life.

Your own life is given meaning by your actions and how they are interpretted by others.

Life itself in a biological sense is about much more than reproduction. Evolution is a learning process where reproduction with error actually generates systems that can manipulate their local environment to supply them with energy and act as a waste sink. To do so they must in some way understand their environement. I think the Carl Sagan quote is very apt, but a bit abstract as stated.

Nervous systems allow organisms to learn even in the span of their life. Humans are the pinnacle of passing that understanding on to others. Of course in some way this could be considered reproduction as well, but I think there is more subtly to it.

If one contemplates this it seems that the propagation and elaboration of information for understanding the world is very core to what life itself consists of. What I'm not clear on is whether the manipulative aspects are pragmatic or core to what it is to be alive.

It is impossible not to affect the world around you so in some ways manipulation is unavoidable and it is necessary to make sure the effects are commensurate with survival (of the species at least). While the propagation of order seems "good" in some way the manipulation of the environment seems to have the potential for "evil" in it.

The question is whether the universe is organized such that selfishness is better than selflessness and whether evolution can recognize that fact.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well... I'm still with Reproduction...

And hormone regulation, as you can see it...

Here...

I'M THE EVIDENCE

My hormones have been a little bit crazy those last years...

I guess biologically speaking... interaction with others (including other species) would be the major meaning of Life... not just reproduction...

It's interesting to see that it is the exact meaning I've got for the Free Forums one...

Love,
    Nelson

22. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

23. Adam §Þ@ç€ MØnk€¥ Registered Senior Member

I'm a bonobo??? My parents never said anything...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.