The meaning of everything

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Yang´s_Matrix, Jan 22, 2002.

1. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

It is often thought that art is such which doesn´t have any practical purpose. But is the whole universe (including God(s) if they exist) a huge piece of art?

We know that for example airbags in the cars have a practical purpose, to save human lives. But what is the purpose of humans? To serve some higher power? Or is humanity is purpose of itself? And if our purpose is the serve some higher power, then what is the purpose of that higher power?
    What is the purpose of God? Or is God a needed puropse in itself?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

To me, humans do not have a purpose any more than any other animal on this Earth has a pupose beyond being food for larger animals. We are here because we evolved to be here, nature did not evolve us then say "Your purpose is to be the cancer of this planet".

I'm not saying we can't make a purpose for ourselves, but the reason we haven't found our real purpose is because there is none to be found. We came to be, now we exist, the real question is what are we going to do with our existance?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yang´s_Matrix Registered Senior Member

"Your purpose is to be the cancer of this planet".

:bugeye:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

So... everything is in vain...

nice

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

Survival

That is the only purpose. We exist so that we may continue to exist. I know that some need more than that, but it is the only honest answer. God is the invention of insanity. The emotional core is at odds with deductive reasoning. It seems insufficient to the brain that existence is the only reason for itself. Perspective is the only thing neccessary to understand this. It is something lacking from people of faith. Their thoughts are uddled with wild tales of a god. If this god exists, then what is this god's purpose. What sort of perverse being would create creatures and watch them suffer for its pleasure.

We are an accident of natural forces.

8. KalvinB Publicity Whore Registered Senior Member

Only you say God gets pleasure out of it.

Ben

9. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

Yes, Teg, that's what I was trying to say, it was early in the morning

But if you think about it Yang, we are like the cancer of Earth. We move to an area, consume/destroy its natural resources, then move on. No other animal does that, at least not even close to the extent we do.

10. daktaklakpak God is irrelevant! Registered Senior Member

We are sentient beings. Unlike cancer cells, we can slow down the process of destroying Earth, if not stop completely, while maintaining our existance.

11. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

"I was trying to classify your species..."

"You are a virus."

Agent Smith had a good perspective on the situation.

It comes from our unstable place in ecology. We have abilities which circumvent the natural balance that most ecosystems. I can easily see where you are coming from, Xelios.

12. Xelios We're setting you adrift idiot Registered Senior Member

We may not be exactly like a cancer, but we are undoubtably the disease of this planet. "Every other creature establishes a natural equilibrium with it's environment, you humans do not." to quote the Matrix

13. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

"It's the smell, if there is such a thing." -Agent Smith
    The best SF movie ever!

14. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

I still say it was an accident waiting to happen. Once the systems kicked online and the craft began to slow down.

We all knew it would be a one way journey, back to the beginning of time to work out what the big bang was.

Stupid fools should have realised that when we got there we would run out of Anti-matter fuel and have to dump it. Oops... It seems our time experiment tradegically altered the timeline, at least I don't have to re-live that all again

Oh! and now you know, Life and Cosmos was a Complete ACCIDENT. Someone made a small error and this is the way it turned out. Thank Fudge for mistakes and may we keep erroring.

(Extract from Santa gave me a Junior Geneticists kit for Christmas)