The Matrix vs Terminator???

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by static76, Jul 2, 2003.

1. static76 The Man, The Myth, The Legend Registered Senior Member

Which movie franchise has been better? The original Terminator movie is about even to the original Matrix movie, IMO. Yes, the Matrix had better effects, but T1 was made 20 years ago and used state of the art SE for it's time. T2 easily tops Matrix 2, and we'll have to wait and see what happens later this year with T3 and Matrix 3.

So what movie series do you think is better? And what original movie was better, The original Matrix or T1?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

Matrix is Sci-fi and Terminator is Sci-crap.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

They're both Post-Apocolytic Science Fiction and they both have their ups and downs. To me Matrix doesn't cut the turkey so Terminator has to take the crown. Although it had special effects it didn't use them to carry the whole film like the Matrix did. The MAtrix was just a shallow, pointless and wasted 2 hours.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ectropic Registered Senior Member

But how could his friend from the future be his dad! I hate the Terminator.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. AntonK Technomage Registered Senior Member

Different timelines (or so they say). When he first gets there (don't remember his dad's name..I think it was Reece or Reed or something) he says he's from one possible future and that he doesn't know tech stuff. So, the man he sees in the future when he's older, isn't actually his father, he'll be father to a John Connor in another timeline (some call them world lines).

Remember, I am in the SciFi forum so no one can make fun of this crap

-AntonK

9. Ectropic Registered Senior Member

Damn it! Becuase that is total crap!

10. thx1138 Registered Member

Time Travel

<But how could his friend from the future be his dad! I hate the Terminator>

And there lies the conundrum with time travel. A prime example of a paradox. (Could this be the answer to the age old chicken or the egg question? lol!!!)

11. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

There is of certain consequence a choice that must be regarded as superior in that for anything there shall always be better. In that vortex of seemingly similar details there lies a conundrem we must through proper comparative analysis conclude, by way of duel factors story and imagery, that the Matrix contains within it the more recondite choice. Being of a different nature there is the lofty determination of the Terminator. Introducing the reverse scale of diminishing returns that series has indeed improved with each passing sequel. In that quality however there needs be a distinction between genius and most genius. Most genius implies perfection of design that is consistent. The first terminator containing a most laconic dialogue and the second failing to deliver in pyrotechnics occurring during the final sequence we can see the series failings. The Matrix on the other hand containing a predetermined lore and supreme philosophical renderings has the crown of series. Yet remember that neither of these series are complete.

In short both films kicked ass but the Matrix kicks a little more ass. Also both aren't done kicking ass.

12. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

the fact that t2 and reloaded can even be compared tells me t2 is better (but i guess we'll see how reloaded looks in 20 years and know for sure). Not many sci-fi movies can hold up this long and still look great.

to be fair to the matrix i think it was great but it also had huge technical advantage over t2. A direct comparison is almost impossible.

13. Thor "Pfft, Rebel scum!" Valued Senior Member

Why 20 years? T2 is only a decade young

14. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Don't worry Antonk, I'll delete their posts.

T3 blows up stuff real good. Matrix has Kung Fu and Wire Fu...

I see them for what they are; action movies with underlining scifi plot lines. T3 does have my vote though. Because that TX chick is hot.

15. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

The martial arts techniques and the theme of machine enslaves man are for public consumption. The crux of matrix is, as you said, its disturbing philosophy. Until the 'revolutions' i agree with you, the first one is the crown of the series so far.

16. Teg Unknown Citizen Registered Senior Member

Oh I agree. The Zion Controller and his sociological bent were for the rest of us.

17. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

You include me in the 'rest of us'..? well, some of the parts i don't like. would you mind elaborate this : "The Zion Controller and his sociological bent "

Btw, i liked the kung fu sequences as one of the public.

18. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

right sorry, i meant 12 years but my point still stands.

19. airavata portentous Registered Senior Member

Matrix Reloaded was decent. What made the whole film worthwhile was the Architect. He is the coolest character ever.

20. madanthonywayne Morning in America Registered Senior Member

The first Matrix is the best of the bunch. Sadly, Matrix 2 and 3 sucked balls. T1 and T2 kicked ass. T3 was just OK.
    So The Terminator takes the series title.

21. Enterprise-D I'm back! Warp 8 Mr. Worf! Registered Senior Member

You have to admit, the T3 Governor Arnold vs the TX fight scenes were quite gratifying and fun to watch...then again Neo vs 1,000 Smiths was fun to watch too.

This one is a tougher choice than ST vs SW.

Matrix 2 did have a point though...sometimes what you believe or believe in fervently can be wrong. That was the whole point of the Architect...the Zion folk believed that Neo was akin to a god, where really he and the other abberations were always in check by the Matrix.