The mark of the beast

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Arlich Vomalites, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

Revelation 13:18 talks about the mark of the beast. It is written there that
    "And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six"

What is the mark of the beast?

I have been thinking, might it be possible that the mark is in fact the unending decimal 0.999......or
    that there is a connection here. My thought is based on the observation that users on all the forums like this one, and I have researched now dozens, either support this equality with religious fantaticism or intuitively disagee. The book of revelation says that there are people who worship the beast and his image, and receive a mark on his forehead or on his hand, therefore they shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb. And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name. Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God.

On the other hand, there are also people, an hundred forty and four thousand, having his Father's name written in their foreheads, them that had gotten the victory over the beast, and over his image, and over his mark, and over the number of his name, stand on the sea of glass.

If the mark is indeed 0.999......or that there is a connection, would it mean that the world is now divided
    into those who have gotten victory over the beast and into those who worship the beast? In other words
    people worship 0.999.....=1 as the truth which is the truth of the beast.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

How/why do you jump from the "666" to 0.999...?
    Why do you jump from the "number of the beast" being a number to it now being an equation ("0.999... = 1")?

All I see here is a blatant crowbarring of a mathematical notion into a religious issue so as to get it aired outside of the maths forum. And that you question whether the notion that 0.999... = 1 is perhaps the same as the number of the beast clearly indicates that you disagree with the mathematical notion, and presumably you want to find an audience for the discussion of that notion outside of mathematical circles, where your non-acceptance may be given more quarter.

So I see this as somewhat of a forced issue, as I see no relationship between biblical references to the number of the beast and the notion of 0.999... = 1.

One might as well equate the religious notion of the number of the beast to the fervent disagreement over the notion that vanilla is the best flavour of ice-cream.

Perhaps you should take this to the maths forum, although there is already a thread there, I believe, on just that very notion. But perhaps you already know that.

As it is, I think there is even dispute as to whether the number of the beast is 666 or actually 616.
    Presumably that doesn't figure into your forced issue above, though.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cornel Registered Senior Member

Let me get this straight, you think that 666 = 0.999etc. because people strongly agree/disagree with it ?

edit:isn't it likely the mark is (going to be) some kind of credit/debit card ?
    "And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

8. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

People worship a mathematical identity? Well, I guess it makes as much sense as any other religion.

9. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

I try to see if there is a connection, from 0.999........to 666. A connection from the mark of the beast
    to the number of the beast.

The mark of the beast and the number of the beast are religious issues not suitable for maths forum.

So you don't see a relationship to the bible here. Perhaps you see this as a maths issue only. But how do you count the number of the beast? Is it only a maths issue?

I am trying first to find out what is the mark of the beast. If it can be found, it may be possible to
    calculate the number of the beast too. Without finding the mark, it is, I think, too difficult to
    count the number of the beast.

10. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

I think that 0.999.......can be seen as the mark of the beast, or that there is a connection here. And if that's true, we can count the number of the beast. I don't say that 666 = 0.999.... I don't try to change the rules of maths.

The reason is, people on all forums are divided into two camps, those who agree that 0.999....=1 and those
    who disagree. I have read all what is written there, and began to wonder do we witness a biblical prophecy
    about the fate of the humankind. Is the humakind divided based on this identity? Divided into those
    who worship the identity as truth, the truth of the beast, and those who have "gotten the victory over the beast"

I don't know.

11. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

And yet the only connection you have given between 666 and the notion that 0.999...=1 is that people argue about the latter... and... well, I'm still not sure how you connect it to being the NotB.

To be meaningful, any connection you make has to be of a form that is not also applicable to the notion that vanilla is the best flavour ofice-cream.

As yet you have done nothing.
    You have said "If it is true..." (or words to that effect) without bothering to show why we should even consider the possibility as anything other than in the same way we might consider any other random possibility: e.g. IF it's true that Wednesday is somehow connected to being a banana....

12. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

The existence and "being" of a banana requires time to elapse. We measure time in seconds, minutes, hours, days, months, and years, etc...

When we speak of days we speak about Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, etc...

So for a banana to exist in time for 1 week, which I have personally witnessed, said banana must exist for at least one whole Wednesday of time.

ie...the banana is connected to Wednesday by way of existing in time, Wednesday being a moment in time of 1 week in its existence of being a banana.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Last edited: Oct 9, 2014
  13. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure the mark of the beast refers to tattoos. Any tattoo.

14. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

That eliminates me...

15. kx000 Valued Senior Member

The 666 impossibilities of life. The beast is this no love, no knowledge, never spoken, un-grown, and completely un reasonable. It can't exist. It is hence impossible... Yet with the absence of God we have the presence of hate. Know this hate is a dying thing and completely impossible to succeed. When it has ran its corse Love will set in and everyone will be known. There is no hell because demons don't exist. Living human is living virtue, just clear the clutter, all can be reasoned with. All men will submit and go to heaven when they are given logic.

16. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

The bible is a historical epic and as such the supernatural aspects are simply that - supernatural and not worth considering. There is no 'beast' so there is no number of said beast therefore 0.999... = 1.

By the way the major division between the 2 camps you speak of is based on people who understand math and people that do not.

17. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

I have already done something: I have told that maybe 0.999......is the mark of the beast, which is worshipped
    with religious fanaticism by its supporters.I try to explain:

Can the cows fly?

Lets see: there are scientists who decide that cows can fly. How this happens, is someone just writes
    a paper stating that cows can fly, lets call him mr X.
    Then these people start calculating if it is indeed true, in the middle of the calculations things start getting complicated because there are so many unknown interacting parameters, the cow interacts with other cows and other massive objects, the sun,earth, moon, planets, fermions, bosons and atoms etc etc. Also relativistic corrections need to be taken into account because the cow can't exceed the speed of light, can it? What if the cow has infinite energy, does it enable it to fly? Perhaps the cow can even exceed the speed of light if it is has an imaginary energy or negative mass. Where did the cow even get its mass? Perhaps it was massless to begin with, perhaps it is true that only massless cows are able to fly.
    Now, how to deal with the infinities and other difficulties?
    There is a solution: the cows can fly, it was already proved at the paper written by mr X. Now we can solve
    all the problems by referring to the paper by mr X. Finally we were able to prove and calculate that cows
    indeed can fly. The scientists have dictated the laws of nature, they have decided what is the law of nature.

Replace the sentence "cows can fly" with "0.999....=1" and everything stays the same because mr X said so.
    Now lets start worship these truths as unassailable, the truths of the beast. If there is someone trying to cancel our truths, lets destroy him by all means conceivable.

18. Sarkus Hippomonstrosesquippedalo phobe Valued Senior Member

So you raise this mathematical matter in the religion forum simply because of what you see it as being worshipped with religious fanaticism?

Your example is nothing but an obese strawman.
    It all seems to stem from your disagreement with 0.999... = 1 yet for some reason you raise this in the religion forum.

Go to the maths forum where it will get an airing, but trying to get it viewed here purely on the grounds of what you see as religious fanaticism is ridiculous. We might as well open this forum to debates about football, Star Trek, and one's favourite ice-cream flavour.

19. cornel Registered Senior Member

Yes, but i was asking for the "why" of this connection.

Yeah that's what i asked.
    On most issues where people can agree and disagree, the people are divided into three camps, not two, the camp that agrees, the camp that disagrees and the camp that couldn't care less,
    you won't realy hear that third camp a lot except for the occasional "guys, we have some realy issues to deal with here."

20. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

The problem is, the maths forums are where I come from.

Tell me, if this is ridiculous what I say, how ridiculous it is to say these things on maths forums?
    Perhaps you could try going there and telling them how to count the number of the beast. And come back
    here and tell how ridiculous it was. At least, if you had tried it, you would know what I an talking about.

Yet, consider this: it has been written that "Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number is Six hundred threescore and six". Now, how ridiculous does that sound?

Also it has been written concerning the signs given to the humankind:"This generation is a wicked generation; it seeks for a sign, and yet no sign will be given to it but the sign of Jonah. For just as Jonah became a sign to the Ninevites, so will the Son of Man be to this generation. The Queen of the South will rise up with the men of this generation at the judgment and condemn them, because she came from the ends of the earth to hear the wisdom of Solomon; and behold, something greater than Solomon is here. The men of Nineveh will stand up with this generation at the judgment and condemn it, because they repented at the preaching of Jonah; and behold, something greater than Jonah is here."

You demand that I show you the sign, tell you what is the mark of the beast. I have given you a sign which
    I think maybe the mark of the beast. But you think it is ridiculous. It is not enough for you. You demand
    more. But think this, what if no other sign will be given to you?

21. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

double post

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  22. cluelusshusbund + Public Dilemma + Valued Senior Member

The superstition that goes along wit the number 666 caused me grief when i was a kid...

due to the birthmark on my wrist.!!!

23. Arlich Vomalites Registered Member

".......And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads: And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name."