The Logic challenge - light speed is instantaneous

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Quantum Quack, Aug 22, 2004.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

hmmmmm....but distance is directly related to curvature.....all the same....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Of course.

It's like driving from point A to point B over a hill. You measure the distance on the curved surface directly through your odometer - you don't have to adjust your odometer reading for the curvature of the surface.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

if you don't know the curvature and all you have is velocity 'c' how can you measure the distance.......to me and correct me if I am wrong here, curvature would be a determining factor on how far a photon needs to travel.

Is the curvature the same in all distances?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

obviously that ws a stupid question.......

8. RawThinkTank Banned Banned

Iill b back

9. Dannyd2006 Registered Member

10. Dannyd2006 Registered Member

I literally just joined this forum to respond to this. I too hold the same belief. I'm pretty sure our perception /interpretation of time and distance are severely warped. I don't believe a star exploding 2 billion yrs ago is just showing up to us now. I believe the universe is far too connected and integrated to allow for this.

11. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

Welcome
    Halloween, another zombie thread.
    Can you give your reasons for believing...
    Ps. No BODY mention dead bodies.

12. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

The constant speed of light "c" is re-enforced by the non absolute nature of space and time. At least one of these, time dilation has been proven many times to be a reality, which logically concludes that light speed is a constant "c"

Do you believe that since Einstein formulated SR more than 100 years ago, that scientists have been sitting on their hands?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. sculptor Valued Senior Member

instantaneous entanglement and c(constant limit)?
    seems a bit of a contradiction?

14. brucep Valued Senior Member

It's two different phenomena. So there's no contradiction. Neither phenomena can be manipulated to transfer information faster than c. So far. Folks keep trying.

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

OMG a thread dated 2004 ... Necromancy never looked better!
    'tis funny... it was over 11 years since I posed the question in this thread and still I have no answer, in fact even more questions just keep popping up that also can find no "rest".

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

not if you accept that it is the entangled reflective mass that is doing all the traveling ( think vibration [standing wave] of an amplitude and speed of 'c')

17. brucep Valued Senior Member

You should consider finding out whether your perception is associated with real phenomena rather than an overactive imagination.

18. brucep Valued Senior Member

You mean you don't know anything about the physics or the phenomena. We already know that.

19. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

and you do?
    great!
    Perhaps address the issue and we may learn something...

As far as I can see Physics is "double dipping" on this light speed energy transfer issue but as you say... who am I to question?

20. danshawen Valued Senior Member

Holy Necromancer, that is an old thread, QQ!

Here's your definitive answer. When light traveling at c is reflected electrons in the surface of a plane mirror, they reverse direction and propagate at a speed of -c.

While in relativity, nothing matter or energy can exceed the speed of light and vectors representing relativistic velocities add in such a way that they can never exceed c, THERE IS NOTHING WHATSOEVER THAT DISALLOWS THE ADDITION OF +c AND -c TO OBTAIN ZERO. When you do that, what essentially has happened is that the photon has COME TO REST, OR IS "BOUND". Additionally, if you trap it between a pair of plane mirrors, the photon becomes bound indefinitely until it is absorbed, in which case it is also evidently at rest, as is the case for ALL BOUND ENERGY that is matter.

Bound energy evidently is in a state of perfect rotation, but this does not exactly obey the rules relativity laid out in terms of the bulk propagation of matter or energy, because in order for energy to become bound, entanglement is involved. Entanglement does not so much exceed c as it is associated with a state of rest that is the same instant everywhere, but involves no bulk transport of energy or bound energy.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
  21. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

don't blame me ...I didn't raise the dead.. sweetpea did!

22. The God Valued Senior Member

How it COMES TO REST ?

Say you drop a ball, which strikes the surface with v, and the collision is elastic, so after impact the ball changes the direction and starts with - v. Would you say that it has come to rest with reference to the frame where you are observing your +v and - v ? I am sure you are not talking about momentary turn around stuff, because you are adding +c with -c to get rest.

danshawen likes this.
  23. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Good question. It does not come to rest by definition. Anything with zero rest mass must always have a velocity of "c"
    Not a 100% sure, but this probably has something to do with the dual nature of light as a wave and a particle. Plus the fact that the photon that hits the mirror is absorbed before reflection and it is actually a different photon is re emitted after interaction with the back of the mirror.
    I'm willing to be corrected on that though by any expert.

danshawen likes this.