The light is in our eyes...

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by Quantum Quack, May 21, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Good lord no. I said optics.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I think you are being deliberately obtuse here.
    You know that our eyeballs don't track light back to its source, and you know I know that.
    Why pursue a tangent that no one purports?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

The fact that basic optics is going over your head is certainly not my confusion.

Look, just do some basic reading. At least then we'll have some common terminology to discuss.

I can't teach you from the ground up here in this thread.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

The evidence is there for any one to see... ( if they can trace the light ray of course...hee hee)
    You posted an image that you agree with .. not me...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

As support for your so called superior knowledge.. then dodge when it is questioned...
    derailing this thread with BS basically....
    credibility zero

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

If you're not sure what I'm saying, ask me, rather than putting words in my mouth.

This is not a classroom. I can't teach you optics from first principles. You have a responsibility to know how basic optics works.

Mainstream science. Remember, this is the Physics and Math forum, not Alt Theories.
    If you'd like to challenge mainstream science, this is not the place to do it.

9. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

It is irrelevant whether it be optics, computer graphics or plastic toilet seats ... the eyes do not trace the light rays back in straight lines and see a virtual image...

Credibility is a precious thing and you have virtually none IMO

10. Seattle Valued Senior Member

Priceless...

11. Write4U Valued Senior Member

Can we trace the light of a "search light" from a car dealership , also known as Klieg lights.
    It's original use was for military purposes. Hence the name.

12. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Correct. The eyes do not.

Where do I start? Grade 10? Grade 5?

I am actually OK with that,. You just called mainstream science "BS" too.

13. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

do you have any idea how silly that sounds...?
    Think about a star scape for a moment... millions of stars all in the sky then apply your rational again...

14. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Do you know how silly it sounds when you ask how silly that sounds?

You are not even trying to understand basic optics.

11 years you say??

15. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

no... you are falsely representing science... and thus making science to appear BS.
    google ray tracing

16. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

Why did you post the image that states that they do?

17. karenmansker HSIRI Banned

Humor Here ---> So, Dave . . . . . . "Good lord"? (re: another thread!) . . . . .You ARE a closet theist! (HAHA!) <---Humor Here

18. river

What if eyes did trace light in straight lines ? What would be the consequence upon clearity of anything ?

19. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

"Ray tracing" is not what we are talking about. You are confusing two issues. Don't.

The operative word in the diagram is simply "tracing". Granted, it is a poor choice of words because of the obvious confusion. Our eyes don't "trace" anything.

Our brain interprets the source of the light as if light travels in a straight line. Thus, if the light is actually bent from some other source, our brains can't know it. All our brains know is the angle where on our retina it appears, and thus where in our field of view it appears to come from.

That's why, when you look into a swimming pool, it seems abnormally shallow. Our brains cannot see the process of refraction. So the bottom of the pool is interpreted as if the light came straight from the source, not refracted.

20. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

OK .. so you are suggesting as write4u is suggesting...

How many angles are we talking about? Using the image below as an example....How much processing time would it take to interpret the info as you are suggesting?
    You are of course assuming that light is a particle and not a wave. What if light is a wave?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

21. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Mea culpa. I thought you would get the idea without having to be led by the hand to it.

In the future I'll do my best to not assume you understand the basics of optics.

22. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Again, you claim to have been at this for eleven years, yet in all that time, you have never bothered to examine latency of visual processing.

It's kind of expected in this forum that you've done some homework.

How about I ask this thread be moved to Q&A, where you can ask all the questions you want, and we can answer them for you?

23. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

maybe some one else can have a go at it.... I am off to enjoy the arvo...ta ta