The irrelevance of God

Discussion in 'Religion' started by Magical Realist, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Mazulu Banned Banned

lol

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

What is really troubling you in all this?

That you feel a kind of push to go along with whatever anyone claims, esp. when it comes to religious/spiritual topics - and you don't really know how to resist that push? - That you may be well able to resist that push externally, such as by politely ending the conversation, but in the privacy of your mind, it doesn't leave you be?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Yes I do. Unfortunately being inspired usually acts like water off a duck's back, and goes as quickly as it comes. I don't see it as hijacking because I don't believe people will really prove much, so I am not looking for a new paradigm - I feel that kind of external inspiration is less like getting a new way to think and more like getting something new to think with or about.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Awww. So what do you really want? Someone to tell you in a soft, kind voice - "Yes, sweeping the deck of a sinking ship is such a meaningful task!"

8. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

sure, that sounds great. But unfortunately for some of us, we have to make up our own minds about what is meaningful, rather than being able to actually accept simple platitudes.

9. Balerion Banned Banned

Good point.

10. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Pride. The usual resort for those lacking analytical skill ...

11. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

Haha. I include you in those who have to decide for themselves though, since you are about as stubborn as the rest of us, so you are in the same boat, just not willing to agree that you are in the boat.

12. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

13. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Why did you use the word "unfortunately" here?

14. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

It is a lot of work, for some of us, to make things meaningful. This seems one of those ways of being that can be described as fortunately and unfortunately, depending on which facet you concentrate on. But, there are a lot of really powerful platitudes out there some of us don't get to use, like "everything works out for the best", and "I think it is this way, so it must be."

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Well, aren't we a bunch of miscreants then!

16. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

17. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

This is so not inspiring!
    This is so water off a duck's back!