The Iron Shirt...Is it a Myth?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carcano, Nov 9, 2009.

1. phlogistician Banned Banned

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Madonna was another one that apparently like to show this off when younger, of course I wouldn't suggest running up to her and punting her one in the stomach. It's purely down to abdominal muscle tension since it covers the whole stomach area, the more honed the muscle the more force it can take.(The force of a blow is dissipated across the surface area.) I wouldn't however suggest that it stops bruising or internal injuries if a blow is done with a specific manner, where it attempts to penetrate more rather than dissipate.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. phlogistician Banned Banned

A mate of mine, who is a Kung Fu instructor bought a book on 'Vagabond Moves' to do exactly that. Well, largely to amuse people down the pub.

Dunno if you saw the series 'Mind, Body and Kick Ass Moves' (BBC, iirc) but Sifu Leung Ting 'outed' a few vagabond tricks on there. The presenter was a believer in Chi though, so some parts of the show were mystic ass kissing, but it's worth a look.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Isn't there a wide variety of things that one might do to a grappler in a "street fight" that are forbidden in UFC fights? I'm thinking of things like striking downward toward the spine/back of neck with your elbow as the grappler rushes you, gouging his eyes which he chokes you, etc. I don't really know much about grappling to be honest, so I wonder how much it affects the grappler's strategy when he knows his opponent can't do that sort of thing. Does it encourage him to try things he wouldn't be likely to do in a "real" fight?

8. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Well speaking as a grappler, I can give you some insight into those questions. Elbow strikes are only effective once the opponent is pinned on to ground and the guy on the top can repeatedly rain blows with the elbow to the side of his face. (Ground and pound)
    The elbow strike to the back of the neck has never prevented a grappler from doing a takedown, for the simple fact that that particular part of the body is extremely resilient. There is nothing in the rules of an MMA fight that forbids someone from doing this, its just that it doesn’t work as well as some people think it does.
    The things that are not allowed in MMA are, biting, gouging, head butting and strikes to the groin, although some of these things have been allowed in Vale Tudo and in the early UFC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjK0g-cDJI4&feature=rec-HM-r2

Here's Royce Gracie in a challenge match before the UFC started notice how Jason Delucia goes for the elbow strikes as Royce shoots.
    DeLucia fought Royce Gracie again in the UFC and lost via armbar submission. After DeLucia tapped out, Gracie didn't let go of the armbar and the commentator claimed his elbow had popped.
    Royce did this because he felt that DeLucia was disrespecting him after being beaten that first time.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2009
  9. phlogistician Banned Banned

Yeah , in UFC there are no spinal blows, no strikes to eyes or throat, no flesh grabbing, no small joint manipulation, and no kicking or kneeing a downed opponent, no head butts, .... From memory, I think there are about 31 prohibited moves, although it's a while since I checked the rulebook.

Oh, and no grabbing clothes. being an ex-Judoka, I'd find that one tricky, esp as you aren't allowed to grab flesh either, how am I supposed to throw people?

It's been a while since I was in street fight, in fact I was breaking up a fight in a nightclub, but I used a couple of UFC-unfriendly techniques when I took the aggressor down, flesh grabbing, and a little chop to te adam's apple, before applying a choke hold, just to soften him up.

10. Nasor Valued Senior Member

I'm pretty sure there is indeed a rule in UFC that you can't strike downward to the spine/back of the neck with your elbow. I'm certainly not an expert on this kind of thing, but it seems to me that if they banned it, it was probably because they thought there was an unacceptably high chance of serious injury...what other reason could they have for banning it?

11. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Well like most things they are banned for insurance reasons, but speaking from personal experience I’ve never seen a downward elbow strike work in a Mixed Martial Arts fight when the opponent is not pinned.
    Have a look at the Documentary “The Smashing Machine” and you’ll see how much damages head butts can generate when some has side control and attacking the face from a top position.
    Head butts were legal in Vale Tudo matches in Brazil.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4iZ-NEz-mg
    Here’s Joe Son getting his nuts crushed.

12. kurros Registered Senior Member

Referring to the OP, what is unreasonable about it? They are striking into the belly of the muscle, which is extremely strong and can take a lot of force if you have conditioned it even a little. The kicks to the side are more impressive except that they don't look very hard, floating ribs and things can be easy to break. And again this relies on the muscles being tense, if someone hit him like that when he wasn't prepared he'd go down for sure, or at least react a little.
    Probably if a boxer hit him in the stomach he'd have a harder time of it, although if he is really any good he should still be able to take it. After all, the reason martial artists train to hit all the soft and vulnerable parts of the body is precisely because the rest of it can be conditioned to be very resiliant to damage. No matter who you fight if you hit them a good one in the solar plexus they'll go down like a sack of sh#t. Of course this is hard if you have gloves on so not much use for boxers or the UFC.

13. deicider got omnicidead Registered Senior Member

Two first vids are completely retared.I have seen 100 times more extreme things human body can do.
    And no it does not 'defy science' in any way.

14. mugaliens Registered Member

A true martial artist dispenses with these parlor tricks.

15. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

I don't see that as disrespect. He told you to do something and you did it. You were there to learn, not polish up his ego.

16. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Freaking hilarious.

The funny thing is that anyone who has actually spared at or with high level boxers/kick boxers etc learns very quickly that all that movie stuff is just crap. It just doesn't work that way.

The first thing that happens to a newbie in the ring no matter how much training is he gets hit in the face and forgets his training for a minute. Usually wild arm swinging punches and back turned to opponent ensues.

It takes time in the ring actually being hit to be able to translate training into use. The other thing is a moving target, not a bag or like in karate where it is all "if I hit you there this will happen".

So here this "master" gets hit in the face once and kind of loses it. Comedy.

17. jpappl Valued Senior Member

Which is why jujitsu is king in killing and Muay Thai is king in boxing.

They are used for different applications.

18. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

Since this thread is giving me a chance to air just about all of my pet gripes regarding martial arts I thought I'd throw this one into the mix:

Anvil Swinging Or Iron Croch
    http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/magazine/article.php?article=319

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Apparently the idea is it improves "Chi"

It was hilarious. Mainly because practicioners take is so so seriously.

They said their Master actually towed a 747 aircraft the length of a runway
    by a chain tied around his testicles.
    Legend has it the speed was sufficient for a takeoff.

:roflmao:

19. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

:bugeye:

What no coments on this but ITS INSANE!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. Carcano Valued Senior Member

My favourite part of that series was the pinkie wrestling sword master!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXsMSoXrNgo

21. phlogistician Banned Banned

A friend of mine is a Kung Fu instructor, and read avidly about Chi Gong, and was rather amused by the amount of attention paid to the groin area, in particular advice that massaging the penis and balls and improves Chi flow. Yeah, riiiight, a monastery of all males, it's just giving stamp of approval to giving yourself a hand shandy!

22. phlogistician Banned Banned

Jesus, I reckon I'd crack Kuroda's skull with my bokken.

Also, his grip is just bullshit, check how far apart his hands are. If he had a Tsuba on there it would be apparent how wrong his grip was.

All my bokken, katanas, and shirasayas have about 10.5 inches (what's that in sun?) of tsuka. My odachi has a longer tsuka, (13.5") but then it's 50" long.

Kuroda's hands are more than 10 inches apart, but he's got a regular length bokken, so he's a bullshitter. Oh, but we knew that from the last scene anyway!

23. kurros Registered Senior Member

Well one thing to consider is that kung fu was originally developed largely for the purposes of the military. MMA would be pretty useless in war (ancient warfare that is), although it is great 1 on 1, assuming your opponent doesn't have a sword or spear or something.