The Infinite nature of words

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Quantum Quack, Dec 12, 2003.

1. Quantum Quack Life's a tease... Valued Senior Member

I didn’t have a lot to do last night so I thought I’d explore the concept of the infinite nature of words. ( reference source: Oxford Reference English Dictionary 1995)

As you will see from what follows the word “Love” is given a meaning and then I find the meaning of the meaning and if I was really stupid I would then go on to find the meaning of the meaning of the meaning.

Most of you know very well that the meaning of each word could encompass an encyclopaedia of thousands of years of human endeavour and philosophy.

The word “Love” in itself has inspired an infinite amount of words both written and spoken.

The art of communication requires that all parties share a similar context and perspective so that understandings can be reached. It is amazing that we can communicate at all when you consider the room for error in interpretation and context.

The art of semantics, playing with words, can sometimes get in the way of worthwhile endeavour.

The infinite meaning of words.

“Love”

an intense feeling of deep affection or fondness for a person or thing, a great liking.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Intense: (Feelings) Existing in a high degree: extreme, forceful. Feeling or apt
    to feel strong emotion. Expressing strong emotion.

Feel: Examine or search by touch. Perceive or ascertain by touch.

Feelings: The capacity to feel: a sense of touch. A physical sensation. An
    emotional reaction, an atmosphere, Emotional susceptibilities or sympathies.

Deep: Extending far down from the top, extending far in from the surface or
    edge.

Affection: Good will: fond of kindly feeling. A diseased condition. A mental
    state or condition.

Fondness: Having affection or a liking for. Loving doting.

Person: An individual human being The living body of a human being.

Thing: A material or non-material entity, idea or action etc. that is or may be
    thought about or perceived. An inanimate material object. An unspecified object.....etc etc.

Great: Of a size, amount, extent, or intensity considerably above the normal
    and average; big.

Liking: Find agreeable or enjoyable or satisfactory. Be fond of a person or
    thing.

From what I found Love could simply be described as a “Thing”

If one takes any word in the language and tries to find it's true meaning one will eventually come to realise the meaning of the word futility

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

It reminds mr of the Cat in the story Alice in Wonderland.

The words mean exactly what I want them to mean, nothing more and nothing less" ( or somethng to that effect)

I just thought I’d post this because.....well.....hmmmmm.....I “thing” I can.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2003