The Ineffability of God's Will

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Tiassa, Jun 20, 2011.

1. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

yes, it is the command to love everyone..it doesn't say we have to like everyone!
    If you find someone you don't like, figure out what it is you don't like about them, %90 of the time it is something you don't like about yourself.(see projecting)

I can Value you and still not like you..
    (generic 'you')

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

That is a contradiction.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

I can see where that might be the case for some, but 90% of the time? Come on now, you made that up. :bugeye:

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

no, i usually tell it as %99(somewhere here on Sciforums)..i heard it as 90, someone old and famous (roy rogers perhaps?:shrug:too long ago)

8. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yep, I've heard it much the same way.

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Interesting comments, gentlemen, but I'm still dubious about the value of the thread.

In what way does it help much of anything to lean on a bigoted assertion - OP and later - about the moral or rational culpability of religious people in such a crime? I mean, this is ultimately the point. So: why? To what end? This is never explained.

10. Hesperado Don't immanentize the eschaton Registered Senior Member

The OP interestingly adopts a stance that seems to take Mr. "Hermogenes" (what a name!) at his word.

It's perfectly conceivable that this particular religious person, Mr. "Hermogenes", is wrong about his theology.

Sort of mangled with this problem in the OP's first post is a rehash of the perennial problem of theodicy. I don't mind revisiting that problem, but it's a little annoying to see it rehashed with an impatient fervor that seems oblivious to the fact that people have been wondering about it and offering solutions and refutations of it for not just centuries, but millennia.

Bottom line: Either the fact of evil ruins your ability to open your heart to the divine, or it doesn't. It is exceedingly unlikely that you are going to be the first person in 3,000 years to suddenly come up with a solution to the problem of theodicy. No amount of philosophical exploration and argument will likely be able to change the mind of a person who's set on bringing against God the charge of Aggravated First-Degree Non-Existence by Reason of Bad Things in Life.

(Aside from that existential bottom line, the problem of theodicy is an interesting philosophical/historical subject to explore.)

11. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

"Aggravated First-Degree Non-Existence by Reason of Bad Things in Life"

Ha!

12. kx000 Valued Senior Member

He's going to hell.