the importance of essential oils

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by river, May 11, 2012.

1. river

we seem to not think about these important oils ( 3-6-9 in proper ratio ) , nor discuss

we worry about fats , but we need certain fats , oils in which to survive

essential oils are good for the , heart , arteries , veins , eyes etc

comments

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. elte Valued Senior Member

If memory serves me, certain omega 3 and omega 6 oils can't be made in the body and need to be consumed. The body can make omega 9, IIRC. I have read that hemp seed oil comes closest to providing the essential oils in the best ratio. How much of that is special interest promotion, I'm not sure.

Right now, I don't add any oil to my food. I consider non-essential oils to be empty calories in a way similar to how sugar is because they are refined out of a whole plant. However, if I can afford to get just the right amounts of the needed omega 3 and 6 oils in a bottle, I would add that to my food and consume it, not unlike how a diabetic takes insulin to survive or how I already take B-12 supplementation.

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I now take supplements daily. I believe that I don't get enough of some nutrients in my diet. For instance vitamin D3, I live in Washington state, not much sunshine and I don't get out much anymore. Also as you get older your body may not maintain the blood levels you need for optimum health. Other oils like Omega 3 need to maintained. If you have a good supply of flax seed, that works, even fish and krill work however to much fish might carry it's own risk such as mercury poisoning. Vitamin E seems to be an oil that is good to have. If I cook in oil, I like olive oil as it gets a lot of good press over other types of cooking oil.

8. WillNever Valued Senior Member

Hasn't this thread been posted before?

9. Cris In search of Immortality Valued Senior Member

We need omega 3 and 6 from diet. These are the essential fatty acids that our bodies cannot make.

Omega 3 is essentially anti-inflammatory whereas omega 6 is inflammatory. Both share a common enzyme for their use, so too much of one will deprive the other, so the key here is a correct balance of the two fats. Recommendations come out at about 1:2 to 1:4 - omega3/omega6.

Unfortunately there are no good vegetable sources of omega-3, and the best source is fish and shellfish - salmon etc. Most animal products have the two fats in roughly the correct ratios - so a diet based around adequate meat and fish sources will ensure a good supply and ratio of these fats.

Unfortunately the current dietary guidelines stress high ratios of wheat/grains and vegetables which are mostly dominated by omega-6, especially most nuts and vegetable oils - e.g. sunflower, corn, safflower, soy. Margarines which are based on vegetable oils, have excessive o6. The trend is towards a very bad ratio estimated at some 1:20 - o3/o6 - which is suspected to be a probable cause of many illnesses including heart disease.

Taking o3 supplements like fish oil might seem a good idea but is not too helpful if your diet is overwhelmed by o6 - it is both an issue of absolute values as well as the correct ratio. More fish and fewer grains would be ideal. There are also many types of fish oil and the manufacturing process to make these oils is horrendous. healthy and good quality fish oil is difficult to find without some degree of rancidity or toxic content.

It is much more appropriate to eat fresh wild caught fish daily or every few days to ensure good supply of o3.

O3 is further complicated by having 3 types, DHA, EPA, and ALA. Fish sources are dominated by DHA and EPA which we need in plentiful supply. We also need some ALA but only an insignificant amount.

Some quote flax seeds as a good vegetable source of o3, unfortunately it is almost pure ALA, not really of much use to us. I laugh at the eggs in supermarkets - some advertised as omega-3 enriched - e.g. the chickens have been fed flax-seeds in their diet - haha - builds on the public knowing they need more o3 but not realizing the differences.

As an aside - the chickens that gave the o3 enriched eggs are also described as having been fed a natural all vegetarian diet - hmm - chickens are natural omnivores - their natural diet is dominated by bugs, insects, worms, and small mammals. A chicken fed a vegetarian diet is not in the least natural and the chicken meat and resultant eggs will reflect that. For real o3 enriched eggs buy eggs produced from pastured chickens - rare, difficult to find, and consequently more expensive - but likely worth the effort.

10. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Nice write up Cris. You didn't mention MegaRed Omega-3 Krill oil which I like a lot because the pills are small and easy to take. Also with Flax-seed oil, I've heard you can't buy any of it that hasn't already turned rancid. If you must use flax-seed it should be fresh unground seed when ready to use.

11. elte Valued Senior Member

Indeed, Cris, I like your analysis very much. I would like to magnify a thing that you touched upon I think implicitly, that animals raised on grain like corn are not providing the needed omega 3 fatty acid that people used to get from meat, and as people go to the oceans, so to speak, to get wild fish to eat to avoid nutritional deficiency, the fish populations are enduring severe stress, a point important to me that I'll add in.

12. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Even if omega 3 wasn't in the picture, the fish populations would still be under stress. But, fear of mercury poisoning might actually help save them.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Damn! I really like fish.

13. elte Valued Senior Member

I really like fish, too, and now the first radioactive tuna has been publicized!

14. kmguru Staff Member

I take 3-6-9, Fish Oil and eat Salmon....have a decent D3 (over 150)...so we shall see what happens...

The doctor told me to keep my D3 level down. But I found my skin looks much better for my age...so do not know yet...on D3...

15. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Has your doctor ever slipped behind the times. For the person that doesn't get much sunlight (most of us) the current recommended daily supplement level is 5000iu and that comes in a very small gel pill that you can find at any store that sells vitamins. Also, if you get tired of swallowing those large Omega3 fish oil gel pills, try MegaRed Omega3 krill oil. The gel pills are only about 1/4th the size and krill don't have any mercury worries.

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

I do like kmguru, enjoy that grilled salmon every week and eat the supplement. Have also been told that I appear about 10 - 15 years younger than I actually am.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Note: there are DHA oil supplements that are derived from the algae that fish eat to get theirs. They are touted to lack the contaminants that may be found in some fish oil supplements.

Yeah, I kinda thought that the hemp seed oil may well be a special interest thingie too, but don't know for sure.

17. davekm Banned Banned

Some vegetarians are totally unaware of the lack of omega 3 in there diet. I am a veggie but have always taken vegan omega 3 tablets.

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If you have to you have to, but they are costly.

19. river

The thing is that olive oil CANNOT TAKE HEAT it will become rancid and therefore produce radicals

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=newtip&dbid=47

20. river

Just to add make sure that the bottle is dark , I get extra virgin olive oil in a dark green bottle , since light and heat destroies the health benefits of the oil

As well I either have flax oil and/or 3-6-9 essential oil every day , both of which are in light protected containers

21. kwhilborn Banned Banned

@ River,
    Thanks for the tip about extra virgin olive oil not taking heat. I buy it in large quantities and did not know this. I often use it when mashing potatoes or on salads, and tend not to fry with it; so I am probably doing okay with it, but thanks for the tip.

22. river

Your welcome

You may interested in this site , since you seem to be health conscious

http://www.worldshealthiestfoods.com/

Enjoy

river

23. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member