The Illusion Of Time - The Fabric Of The Cosmos

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by prometheus007, Sep 12, 2015.

1. brucep Valued Senior Member

No it is reality regardless what you want to believe. It's tested 24/7 on the GPS. The fact it's so important to you that it isn't true says volumes about your intellectual dishonesty. If you had an intellectual to be dishonest.

dumbest man on earth likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

No, time travel is based on the fact that space and time are not absolute.
    The Astronauts always come back younger, by a tiny amount.
    The same as clocks and passengers travelling by air age slower.
    All you need to do is multiply the effect with faster speeds and larger gravity wells.
    Yes, and that effect is larger than the gravitational time dilation effect that sees them aging faster.
    My previous post I stuffed that up and have now corrected it.
    The point is that gravitational time dilation can age slower if astronauts were say on a larger body or orbiting a BH.
    Forget the universe...time and space are variable quantities. There is no universal now and as a result if we can achieve near relativistic speeds and return from whence we came, we would have aged slower and consequently be in our future.
    You ever heard of the twin paradox, which isn't a paradox anyway?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

In post 78 I originally said.....
    And of course the more simple example is of course Astronauts are aging less in the ISS than they do on Earth due to gravitational time dilation.
    That was a mistake on my part due to another effect on my mind, and of course the further from the center of gravity of a body someone is, the faster they age. I have rectified the error.
    Hope I havn't confused too many

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. The God Valued Senior Member

What is a teen-adult ? rather I am more interested in the behavior of a teen-adult, this is the age group (20-25) wherein the rationality and reasonableness is not fully developed, people of this age group, tend to stick to their argument, become wild, parents and elders feel helpless and feel that there is something wrong with the person who cannot be termed as child either.

My take is that you all are fighting against a teen-adult, thats not fair, I observed this when in another thread he stuck to his guns that reasonable approximation of 5.9 is 5 not 6, then only the possibility of his being teen-adult flashed infront of me. Such people cannot be blamed, it is a perfectly normal and growing behavior, gets over by the time a person attains the age of 25. Then he starts looking at the things from his own perspective rather than the perspective of others (read Mainstream Scientists).

Now lets see the point in hand. Time travel is troublesome to my 'namesake'. The way travel to past and future is being discussed, it conveys that the use of word 'time' is in conventional sense only, which is incorrect. The bigger question is 'the time' itself is not understood or defined, then how can you jump around? Frame a few obvious questions around time travel in either direction, everything will fall flat.

8. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Your thoughts are your own and what you think of me is neither here nor there, and I believe makes know difference to most genuine science adherents on this thread.
    I will admit when I make a blue unintentionally or ignorantly, you on the other hand are a fraud and have never over the 12 months or so you have infested this place, admitted to any error and lack intestinal fortitude in giving this forum your credentials and why anyone should believe such a fraud when he disputes all reputable recognised authoritive posts.
    I don't believe I need say much more except put your money where your mouth is and back up your nonsense.
    That of course you will not do because you cannot.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  9. The God Valued Senior Member

Yes, ISS has nothing to do with "time travel". And time travel is not at all tested 24/7 on GPS. Brucep seems to be mixing Time Travel with Time Dilation.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Wrong. Time dilation effects are a legitimate means of time travel into the future.
    The ISS Astronauts effectively are going into the future when they return to Earth, but the effects are tiny.
    You appear to be rather emotional in the facts that like rejesh, you are having trouble accepting reality.
    do better.

11. wellwisher Banned Banned

• Please do not post pseudoscience in the Science subforums.
    Although space-time is considered, by traditions, to be integrated with space and time equal partners, these above experiments show time will speed up and leave a permeant change, but distance/size is completely reversible between references. The astronauts do not come back to the earth being taller and wider, due to GR expansion of distance. Space-time should be called time-space to give time its proper place as the top dog.

Space-time leads to the false assumption that the universal red shift is connected to permanent wavelength changes, when we now know distance/size/space is totally reversible between references, while only time/frequency will leave a tangible trace as proven by measuring space clocks. The wavelength will follows the frequency change, since only changes in time will leave a permanent trace.

With permanent changes in time, frequency changes will lead wavelength. This is analogous to the conductor in the train tweaking the pitch of the whistle, to making it sound like the train moving via a Doppler shift, but it can be going either way or even stopped depending on the choice of pitch pattern. What is good about science is science is not about consensus but about one smoking gun able to make the entire herd move. Political science does not work this way but uses consensus to maintain spin. What is physics?

Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Why is this pseudo-science in the science section? You have been told by James and others that your ideas are not in line with actual science. Reported.

13. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Agreed...wellwisher and his posts never fail to dazzle me.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. brucep Valued Senior Member

• Please do not insult other members.
    You're a friggin idiot so what you say is irrelevant. For the GPS the proper tick rate of the earth clock is slower than the proper tick rate of the satellite clock. The proper tick rate is the proper time. To find any difference you need to compare the two different local proper tick rates. Every second the local proper tick rate of the satellite clock gains ~ +4.53E-10 second on the earth clock. A real small number but in this case a requirement to make the correction.

15. The God Valued Senior Member

• Please do not insult other members.
    One of the poster has not called you 'retard' for nothing. But I will give some more time.

The GPS calculations involve precise corrections based on 'time dilation' (both relativistic and Gravitational), it has nothing to do with 'time travel' in future or past. Do you get it?

16. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Wrong, brucep is correct and you need to do more than a course for an electrician.

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Mod Hat ― Uh, really?

Okay, so here's the deal. Sometimes we get complaints that someone's being rude, and yeah, it seems like a problem. But as we check it out, we find that the one is being rude among other rudeness, so suddenly we're looking at the possibility of multiple flags and points and all that miserable stuff, and it really would be better if people could be reasonably decent.

So in the meantime, what we'll do here is to remind people to reel it in and hope everyone is intelligent enough to figure out if and to what degree that might apply to anything they might have said, and so on, and so forth, and please don't make me regret this part, because then it would seem wiser on future occasions to just skip that part and start flagging and counting up points.

Thank y'all. We very much appreciate your consideration, participation, intelligence, and decency.

18. The God Valued Senior Member

What is this electrician stuff now? Leave it, you somehow want to connect. Keep doing.

See Paddoboy, it is way above your understanding. So stop crapping further. You are telling people on forum that some kind of time travel to past / future is happening in those GPS satellites. Forget it. If you want to prove Schmelzer wrong that you are not uneducable then I suggest you do that simple exercise of finding out the volume of a sphere with radius 2.95 Kms.

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

wellwisher:

All reference frames are equally valid. There are no preferred frames.

Ok.

If a record was kept of the clock's size on Earth, it would show that there were apparent changes during the journey. The situation with length contraction and time dilation is essentially the same.

You seem to be asserting that time dilation is real and "permanent" but that length contraction is not. But time dilation only occurs whilst there is relative motion (or a change in gravity) - just like length contraction.

Only if you choose it to be so. There are no preferred reference frames.

Similarly, we cannot tell anything happened based on its final tick rate.

You are comparing apples and oranges. On the one hand, you're comparing a historical record of the journey. On the other hand, you're comparing the final state after the journey is over.

Physics doesn't tend to think anything.

I assume you're obliquely referring to the loss of symmetry in the classic "twin paradox". That occurs because of asymmetries between the two observers.

I have no idea what you're trying to say here. A red shift is an observed shift in the frequency of light due to relative motion of source and observer.

This is obfuscatory.

Since \(c=f\lambda\), if the frequency of light changes then so does the wavelength (speed being constant). Is that all you're saying?

By "traditions" you mean the established theory of relativity, I assume.

You're still making the same mistake here as in your earlier posts.

I have no idea what you mean by "permanent wavelength changes". A red shift continues only for as long as there is relative motion between source and observer. If they stop moving relative to one another the red-shift vanishes.

You seem to be claiming that the frequency of light will change before it's wavelength, for some reason. But that is impossible. Speed being constant, and \(c=f\lambda\) tells us that frequency and wavelength are in inverse proportion at all times.

I'm not sure how a conductor manually duplicating a Doppler-like shift in frequency is relevant to anything you have discussed.

Agreed.

Do you think you've provided some kind of smoking gun that will force physics to change? If so, I'm afraid you're mistaken.

20. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Mod Hat:

Tiassa's resolution of the complaints about personal insults, above, is very reasonable. As it happens, we both handled the report about one of those insults at the same time. Being the nastier person of the two of us, I decided in this instance to try to encourage the people concerned to behave better by handing out 2 official warnings.

It can be luck of the draw as to which moderator handles a given complaint. Understand that every complaint is a judgment call and different moderators will make different judgments from time to time.

21. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Sure I'm saying that examples of time travel are happening all the time...maybe not in the traditional view, but certainly Astronauts on the ISS come back to Earth slightly younger than they would have been by not going to the ISS...And we all know that if time dilation effects are not catered for in GPS Satellites then we'd all be in deep shit.
    Ever heard of the twin paradox?
    Let's give you an example...a pair of twins...one leaves at 99.999% c and travels out into the Universe for 6 months bfore returning another 6 months later....a total of 12 months. He would find his sibling long dead and buried and an Earth 230 odd approximate years ahead of when he left it 12 months earlier by his mechanical and biological clocks.
    That is time travel my friend, just a bit more obvious and effective than that which arises from sub relativistic speeds.
    Oh and being a nice bloke, I won't report you for your insult, suffice to say as a lay person you need reputable links to support your view if you see things differently.
    My advice? check out Sean Carroll or Kip Thorne, or Carl Sagan, or Lee Smolin, all reputable professional experts that may teach you a thing or two as they did me.
    Have fun.

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Time dilation either relativistic or gravitational, can and will produce what could be seen as time travel, as I have shown you in a previous example.

23. The God Valued Senior Member

Paddoboy,

You are mixing up time dilation with time travel.....you simply refer to anything, even wiki will do, just try to grasp the definitions of time dilation and time travel. You will see the difference. If the twin comes back to Earth aged less, does it mean that he has travelled to past or future? Come on, you may fail in basics but this is your passion.