The illusion of material solidity

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, Aug 18, 2013.

1. river

I have never seen the space between the proton and electron as " empty space "

There is a field of electro-magnetics between them , it only makes sense , a balance , between the proton and electron , a constant balance

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Space with a field in it is filled space? How? We are surrounded by fields in space all the time. Electrical fields. Microwave fields. Electromagnetic waves. The field of gravity. The magnetic field of the earth. Do we then say space is filled up? No. It remains empty.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. river

Why do you think your response makes sense ? Because it doesn't to me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Space is "volume" which is three dimensional distance, regardless of the contents of the volume. A 1 gallon milk jug is the volume of 1 gallon, regardless of how much milk it contains. Space is infinite volume, regardless of how much matter is present in space. The contents (or lack thereof) of space is irrespective of that space. Space is three dimensional distance, with or without matter.

8. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You said space with an electromagnetic field isn't empty space didn't you? On what basis do you define this?

9. river

I still don't understand why call space an infinite volume ?

I'm not disagreeing with you as much as how you put it

10. river

I did , but I asked you , why you think you made sense in post #22

Lets start here

11. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Because space is 3 dimensional distance. Space is not an object, it is distance. Distance is inevitable, it's not limited in any direction. One dimensional distance is a line. Two dimensional distance is an area. Three dimensional distance is a volume. None of those are limited, or can be limited, they are all infinite.

12. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Now you're not making any sense. Tell ya what. Figure out what you initially said and maybe I'll reply. I'm not going to play games here..

13. river

You are playing games

Since you haven't answered my question

Answer the question

14. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Empty Space.

I am sure that the "empty space" that seems to exist between, lets say between the cars parked in an orderly fashion in a parking lot and the "empty space" that seems to exist between an electron and a proton, can not in any way be considered the same.
    One can possibly be occupied or filled with something else, even if only a vacuum - parking lot - and still allow the parking lots continued existence.
    The other cannot - atom - and still allow the continued existence of said atom.

Empty space on a sub-atomic or quantum level is not the same and should not thought of as the same as empty space that we as physical beings can occupy and observe in this physical reality.

Just my $133.75 ($.02 adjusted for inflation)

15. river

Nor atomically

16. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

Your $133.75 worth is a ripoff!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Are you saying that you could take an object that resides outside the earth and park it between the cars in a parking lot and the earth would be the same? The same mass? The same volume? Just what would be the same? We are not talking about taking another car from the parking garage next door to the one in question and parking it in between the cars in the parking lot in question. In order for your statement to be an apples to apples you would have to get a car from outside the earth's atmosphere and bring it into the earth and park it in between those cars, in which case you added mass and volume to the earth, so it is not the same.

17. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Mr. Motor Daddy, I have read other post by you and so I am fairly certain that you know that is NOT what I said.

1. - First- off, "outside the earth'" was never mentioned nor implied in my Post - you know that - "outside the earth'"' was added by you!

2. - I did NOT say any thing about the "earth" being the SAME - I did not say "same mass" nor "same volume" - you know that - you added them both.
    - - What I said was that the space between the cars "can possibly be occupied or filled with something else, even if only a vacuum" - which is to say, that a person or animal could walk in the space/spaces between the cars or smoke or atmosphere could fill the space/spaces between the cars "and still allow the parking lots continued existence."

3. - The two times that I used the word "same" was in stating that the "empty space" at the Quantum/Sub-Atomic level and the "empty space" that we perceive in our daily physical reality(like between the cars) should never be thought of or considered to be the same type/kind of "empty space" - although the same words are used to name/describe both phenomena.

4. - I was not trying to make an "apples to apples", as you put it, comparison - I was trying to point out a fundamental "apples to oranges" difference between the two phenomena or type/kind of "empty space". - Again, I am fairly certain you knew that because, again, I have read some of your other Posts - but I may be mistaken or incorrect or just plain wrong about those fairly certain feelings.

5. - The things you said : - "...take an object that resides outside the earth" - and - "you would have to get a car from outside the earth's atmosphere and bring it into the earth and park it in between those cars, in which case you added mass and volume to the earth, so it is not the same." - Well...I do not really know how to address or respond to, because I honestly have no idea why you brought them into, or tried to add them to what I, dmoe, Posted.

Mr. Motor Daddy, I have done my best to answer your questions and to clarify my statements/views/position as stated in my Post. You are welcome to read and if you need to, re-read my Posts and if you fail to understand or comprehend my statements/views/position, because of anything that I, dmoe, am responsible for - then please do not hesitate to ask for my assistance.

Later,dmoe

18. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Grok'd.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Empty space is empty space, be it at a cosmic level, or quantum level.
    We may not be able to measure space at the quantum level or atomic level, but as I have said, the emptiness of atomic space, or the space/nothingness that goes to make up an atom, is why we have white dwarfs, neutron stars and BHs. This atomic space, when it comes under extreme forces and pressures, as that which exist when a star exhausts its fuel, overcomes the barriers that make a normal atom an atom as we understand it. Those barriers are the Paulii exclusion principal, Electron Degeneracy and Neutron Degeneracy pressures.

The emptiness of an atom is also why neutrinos can pass right through the Earth without hitting any thing solid.....like an atomic nuclei.

20. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

I appreciate your approval, allowing me to read and re-read your posts. In the future I'll try not to be so inconsiderate as to take it upon myself to do so without your approval, as I've done in the past.

Please clarify for me your statements/views/position. What is the difference between space between cars in a parking lot at t=0, and space between a proton and an electron at t=0?

Oops! I almost forgot! You too are welcome to read/re-read my posts as you wish. If you need further clarification then please, by all means, ask me for assistance. I'm here to help!

Mr. Motor Daddy

21. Trooper Secular Sanity Valued Senior Member

22. dumbest man on earth Real Eyes Realize Real Lies Valued Senior Member

Originally Posted by dumbest man on earth :
    "Mr. Motor Daddy, I have done my best to answer your questions and to clarify my statements/views/position as stated in my Post. You are welcome to read and if you need to, re-read my Posts and if you fail to understand or comprehend my statements/views/position, because of anything that I, dmoe, am responsible for - then please do not hesitate to ask for my assistance."

1. - I did not use the words, "approval", "allowing" nor "inconsiderate", in my Post. - you know that - the words, "approval", "allowing" and "inconsiderate" were added by you! Some people would consider "mis-quoting", "mis-construing" or "intentionally trying to change the stated and implied meaning" of another person's words as "inconsiderate".

2. - Since it is Mr. Motor Daddy that is adding and changing things, I will choose not think of it as "inconsiderate" because I, dmoe, must, indeed, consider that it is Mr. Motor Daddy that is doing the adding and changing. From reading and re-reading multiple Posts Posted by Mr. Motor Daddy, it has become, to me at least, dmoe, abundantly clear that these are only a few of the "tools" that Mr. Motor Daddy "uses" when Mr. Motor Daddy chooses to engage in...!?what?!...!?playing?!...!?games?!...!??!...?!!?...discourse.
    3. - Mr. Motor Daddy, again, I have done my best to answer your questions and to clarify my statements/views/position as stated in my Post. - I never mentioned or stated or implied : "the difference between space between cars in a parking lot at t=0, and space between a proton and an electron at t=0?" - Again, something added by Mr. Motor Daddy. - May I possibly, with your approval, hopefully, be allowed,possibly, if I am not being inconsiderate, to ask : what, exactly, is or are this "at t=0" and "at t=0" that you added?

4. - Since, Mr. Motor Daddy, as you so eloquently stated, that you have read and re-read my Post/Posts, just as you have done in the past, then you clearly read, re-read and understand my closing statement : "...because of anything that I, dmoe, AM RESPONSIBLE FOR - then please do not hesitate to ask for my assistance." - Mr. Motor Daddy, I, dmoe, am not, can not and will not be held responsible for anything that Mr. Motor Daddy chooses to add, change, misread, misunderstand or opts to use to try to bait someone into...!?what?!...!?playing?!...!?games?!...

5. - Again, Mr. Motor Daddy, You are welcome to read and if you need to, re-read my Posts and if you fail to understand or comprehend my statements/views/position, because of anything that I, dmoe, AM RESPONSIBLE FOR - then please do not hesitate to ask for my assistance.

Later, dmoe

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  23. Motor Daddy Valued Senior Member

DMOE, Again I thank you for permission to read/reread your posts. It is somewhat troubling that you, DMOE refuse to answer my, Mr. Motor Daddy questions pertaining to your statements/views/position/thoughts/beliefs/values/ideas/opinions on such matters as to space/distance of cars/parking lots/atoms/protons/electrons. I welcome you to answer my question/idea for consideration/confounded confusion of your ideas pertaining to space/cars/electrons/protons. I, Mr. Motor Daddy ask you, DMOE, once again, as I did in the past/previous/prior to this time as to what you actually intend/represent to mean/think you mean/hold to be true about the space/distance of the electron/proton/car/garage idea that you, DMOE have previously spoken/written/explained/confused/bewildered me about. I regret that you, DMOE have added/made use of/expanded on the words/ideas/etc that you, DMOE keep repeating/saying over and over about how you, DMOE and me, Mr. Motor Daddy are not communicating clearly through your use/misuse of chosen/spoken/written language that you, DMOE keep using when trying to effectively communicate with me, Mr. Motor Daddy, which confuses/bewilders/downright baffles the crap out of me as to why, you DMOE keep writing/typing/speaking like the DMOE that you are/will be/have been. I, Mr. Motor Daddy am sincerely trying to communicate with you, DMOE in your chosen language/baffling BS so as to try to get an idea/perception/understanding of what goes on inside the mind/brain of you, DMOE when speaking to me, Mr. Motor Daddy. I, Mr. Motor Daddy am trying my best to get my point across to you, DMOE in your chosen words/style of writing, so that we can effectively exchange ideas/thoughts. I think I am making progress with your language/BS way of writing/thinking, so I, Mr. Motor Daddy am hopeful/optimistic that you, DMOE will be able to understand/comprehend where I, Mr. Motor Daddy am coming from. I, Mr. Motor Daddy welcome you, DMOE to answer my damn question, which is, what is the difference between the space/distance between two/not one or more than two cars in one parking garage that you, DMOE have previously/prior to this, discussed/addressed/talked about/wrote about, and the space/distance between a proton and an electron. I, Mr. Motor Daddy will be so grateful/happy/satisfied/blissful if you, DMOE will answer/respond in kind to my, Mr. Motor Daddy's questions directed at you, DMOE. I welcome you, DMOE to read/re-read this post as often as you like, without my prior approval. Thank you, DMOE for teaching me/making me understand your way of communication/BS that I, Mr. Motor Daddy may effectively communicate with you, DMOE! Good/happy/have a nice, day, and thank you, DMOE once again.