The Ideal of the Noble Scientist

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Magical Realist, May 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

cont'd "...Artistic paternity is as wholesome as physical paternity. Moreover, it is worthy of remark that when a poet really was morbid it was commonly because he had some weak spot of rationality on his brain. Poe, for instance, really was morbid; not because he was poetical, but because he was specially analytical. Even chess was too poetical for him; he disliked chess because it was full of knights and castles, like a poem. He avowedly preferred the black discs of draughts, because they were more like the mere black dots on a diagram."===GK Chesterton

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

So you are using a quote from someone else to support what you said about Einstein's claim?

How does that make sense? Also, where does any of that show me losing track of what I said?

You're slipping old chap - seems the insanity takes hold in the illogical imaginative types just fine after all...

You post this as though you are quoting from somewhere... why not post the links as well, to show that you aren't just making it up and attributing it to someone? After all, per the SciForums rules, you cannot expect US to do your homework for you.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! You're not even making sense anymore. Are you drinking? In any case, don't waste my time any further here.

http://www.pagebypagebooks.com/Gilbert_K_Chesterton/Orthodoxy/The_Maniac_p2.html

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

In other words, you cannot defend your untenable position (that Logic and Reason are somehow unimportant in science) and are now backpedaling away from a conflict you are destined to lose.

Fair enough, I accept your concession that you were wrong, both in this instance and with the premise of this thread.

Given that we have also disproved your OP claim that scientists are "just out there to make money"
    And have now diverged into a tangent about quotes from Einstein regarding the need for both imagination and knowledge in the pursuit of science, I question if this thread has sufficiently derailed itself.

EDIT - and if I'm "not making sense" enough for you - POST YOUR DAMN SOURCES WHEN YOU QUOTE... cause otherwise, it's simple Plagiarism.

8. brucep Valued Senior Member

No, what's being said is neither magical or realistic. The intent is clear to me based on the initial dumb premise of this thread. Using words like noble and imagination to account for what drives science forward is Bogus. Pun intended.

Bells likes this.
  9. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

??? What has nothing to do with the quotes from Einstein? The post you refer to appears to be your own.
    And you havn't answered your predicament highlighted at my post 95, about your wrong claim in calling me a liar.
    Or are you just going to ignore this as most other trolls are always doing?

10. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Cite the quote that I did not credit properly. Go ahead. I'll wait 2 minutes, and then move on.

11. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

LOL! It's the fuck'n Fric and Frac show around here. "Whose on first?"

12. brucep Valued Senior Member

How about enforcing these rules? They're worthless unless they're enforced with some semblance of consistantcy. There's so much lying going on in the guise of ignorance and you have the authority to put a stop to it. You could put it under one big top, no trolling this forum with unsubstantiated bullshit.

13. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Quote where I lied then. It should be easy, right? Unless YOU'RE lying..

14. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I certainly will. Post 94 when you called me a liar, and post 95 where I showed that it was you either lying or confused. As per the general nature of trolls though, you seem to have ignored it.

15. brucep Valued Senior Member

I hate semantics. A powerful theoretical argument supported by a mathematical analysis can lead to a search for evidence.

16. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

You did lie. You claimed Einstein didn't mean "imagination is more important than knowledge" when he said exactly that and even gave a reason for it. That's lying. Are you denying this now?

17. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Changed your tune somewhat now? Why? Made a booboo? Lack of intestinal fortitude?
    In the first place you claimed I said.....
    What I did say......
    Albert Einstein as a scientists knew full well that Imagination goes hand in hand with knowledge, despite the railing against that reasonable logical interpretations that those with agendas like to push. He was emphasising a point, regarding imagination...nothing more nothing less. And that point was that Imagination must not be underestimated.

And of course most reasonable level headed people would realise that. Except of course those troubled with an over-active Imagination that accepts ghosts, goblins, the supernatural, poltergeists and any number of other crazy unscientific notions...Oh, and I forgot Bigfoot.

I'll also add to my inference that you are either the bare faced liar or just plainly confused due to your lack of reasoning, by saying that most scientists also know and realise what Einstein meant.

18. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

I see..so NOW you are agreeing that Einstein meant imagination is more important than knowledge. Unfortunately that doesn't expunge your past lying about this.

ME: Right..the point being "imagination is more important than knowledge."

YOU: No, the point being, Imagination goes hand in glove with knowledge.

19. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

I meant what I said, and that is Einstein was highlighting a point and putting an emphasis on it.
    He certainly knew that imagination is just as important as knowledge, and just as certainly would judge you for exactly what you are, and which this forum also knows.
    That's something I'll stand by as you will also.

20. Daecon Kiwi fruit Valued Senior Member

This is Magical Realist we're talking about.

Have you read his threads?

21. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

So you lied when you said he meant "imagination goes hand in glove with knowledge" instead of what he actually said "Imagination is more important than knowledge."

22. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Do you suffer from any learning or reading or comprehensive disability?
    Again what I said in post 92 was

23. Magical Realist Valued Senior Member

Then you clearly lied. And I did NOT lie when I said you lied. Because he never said "imagination goes hand in glove with knowledge" or that "imagination is just as important as knowledge". He said "imagination is MORE IMPORTANT than knowledge." And all your spastic handwaving isn't going to make him unsay that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.