"The Homeland" - a bit of a scary term

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Gravity, Oct 9, 2004.

1. wesmorris Nerd Overlord - we(s):1 of N Valued Senior Member

But you did see the meaning, thus it isn't meaningless. Perhaps you weren't around for the thread on the issue, but the intent was a sneaky blast from the past - it applied perfectly. Why the condescension? Besides, it's not my resposibility to deal with nico's issues. I was merely holding out a mirror for him. Besides, making provacative comments doesn't warrant much reply does it?

Seems to me you've got smarmy down pat though, sweet work.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Undecided Banned Banned

My reply wasn't intended to be provacative; it would only be provacative to those who are sheltered from reality. The US is acting like the USSR in many…many ways, and merely calling it provacative is enough to vindicate that position for me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. MagiAwen Registered Senior Member

I know several people that have been saying the same thing for over 15 years Undecided.

I have stayed out of it as much as possible (dislike political confrontations/always end in pissy people). Anyways. I can see where your take on it is happening. At this point one shouldn't discount anything the way things are going.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Well, stud, ok - the meaning I saw was that you didn't have an intelligent answer so you just made a short little slap at them and then ran. I saw no analysis of and retort to their post.

So, I guess I *did* see the right meaning. And then, I apologize for assuming there was greater depth lurking behind the one liners!

8. dixonmassey Valued Senior Member

In my home country, words "homeland, fatherland, motherland" were monopolized by propaganda, official gatherings and official patriotic publications. Those bombastic words were not common use words. If I hear these words, in any translation (I understand) something large, cold, hostile, intrusive, intollerant, demanding touches me. Probably, better state brainwashing techniques could have made everybody to love those words more.

9. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

And I fear such thing is going to be touching all of us in our lifetimes (or is already touching us, but its grip will tighten).

10. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

I've been checking around, but I haven't found any official term for Fear of Synonyms.

Necessity being the mother of invention, I'm sure that'll change.

11. Mr. G reality.sys Valued Senior Member

Gravitisynophobia?

12. towards Relax...head towards the light Registered Senior Member

I cannot tell you exactly why the world "homeland" was choosen, but I can give a suggestion as to why America is not used more often. The answer is in the question: It is already used too often, and can sound redundant. This is speech 101 stuff, do not bore the audience with the same vocabulary over and over again. So homeland more than likely was a choosen word to avoid using another word to much.

13. Gravity Deus Ex Machina Registered Senior Member

Hmmm, these same folks may be the most redundant buzzword users in political history! So its hard to believe their motivation was not wanting redundancy! Here are some that are showing up in games of "Dubya Buzzword Bingo" to play during debates & speeches:

"Terror", "Compassion", "Evil", "Fear", "Values", "Trust" and etc. For that matter ''Homeland'!

You know, I'm willing to consider that there is no great conspiracy behind the decision to use "Homeland" instead of "America", or "USA", or "our Nation" . . . but thinking its because they want to avoid redundancy? Silly. In fact, the word "Homeland" is becoming one of the most redundant words they use!

--------------------------------------------------

"Providence once called me from this city to lead the Reich. There must have been a reason, and it could only have been to return to my beloved homeland!"

---

"I announce to the German people the greatest achievement of my life.

As Führer and Chancellor of the German nation and of the Reich, I proclaim before history the entrance of my homeland into the German Reich."

---

The terrorist destruction of the Reistag gave Hitler the power to pull away civil liberties, consolodate power . . . and . . .

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

14. Godless Objectivist Mind Registered Senior Member

*In fact, the word "Homeland" is becoming one of the most redundant words they use!

Na!! nothing beats "freedom fries" LOL...LOL..

Godless.

15. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Here's a new one (Bush said it at least twice in debate#3):
    armies of compassion