The Holy Quran

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Michael 歌舞伎 Valued Senior Member

American law is based on English Common law and philosophies/treaties developed during the European Enlightenment.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

No. He stated that the law is based on the bible. I asked where in the bible there is any reference to speeding.

Really?
    I wonder why that's not so in the UK (for motorways at least).

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. iceaura Valued Senior Member

Sanger was Episcopalian, a theistic Christian sect into which she baptized her sons as infants. Here is an interview with her reaffirming her religious status in old age: http://www.hrc.utexas.edu/multimedia/video/2008/wallace/sanger_margaret.html . She founded no atheist societies, and specifically rejected the "elimination" of anyone in pursuit of her favored eugenics programs. She opposed abortion, and thought its great prevalence in the US a disgrace. She died of congestive heart failure in a nursing home, long before Khaddaffi rose to power and far from having any influence on the Middle East.

And the Holy Bible appears to be every bit as suspect an influence as the Holy Quran, if its advocates around here are taken in evidence.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

so why do you think there are speeding tickets?
    an attempt to generate revenue?
    or an attempt to save lives?

8. John99 Banned Banned

To protect the motorists and pedestrians.

9. quinnsong Valued Senior Member

We should give much thanks to Thomas Paine.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I'm asking.
    Apparently it stems from the bible. Still waiting for evidence.
    In the UK none of the above were the case (as alluded to above)...

11. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

yes but in order to be productive and not just being sarcastically argumentive, you have to understand why that law is there..

if you don't acknowledge why the law was originally formed, you won't accept any answer..

12. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

And I'm still waiting for someone to show why (and where) that law was formed. In the bible.

13. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

but you will not accept that law was made to prevent death.
    you want the bible to specificly mention speeding tickets and will not accept any argument that does not spell out 'speeding ticket' from the bible..
    you will not accept arguements for an evolution of the law from 'thou shall not kill' to don't speed to save lives.

it would be like me asking why is that part in your contraption and not accepting the reasons why it is there.

you argue for evolution but do not consider any for laws..

14. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Then the "law" apparently doesn't since it varies from state to state as far as I know.
    And there's this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1973_oil_crisis
    Nothing about "death".

Because that's an assumption (or maybe just a claim) on your part. You have not shown this to be the case, simply that that is what you believe is the reason.

15. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

as per wiki

Speed limits are usually set to attempt to cap road traffic speed; there are several reasons for wanting to do this. It is often done with an intention to improve road traffic safety and reduce the number of road traffic casualties from traffic collisions. In their World report on road traffic injury prevention report, the World Health Organization (WHO) identify speed control as one of various interventions likely to contribute to a reduction in road casualties. (The WHO estimated that some 1.2 million people were killed and 50 million injured on the roads around the world in 2004.)

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

You still haven't addressed the variation in speed limits. Nor established that it's based on "Thou shalt not kill". Is a concern for human life exclusively biblical? I doubt it.
    If you like we could go into other US laws too.
    I'll remind you, once again, that IAmJoseph ended up being banned for pushing much the same myth, despite failing to provide evidence (and being given evidence to the contrary).

17. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

now who is moving the goal posts?
    first it was 'find me speeding tickets' now its 'find me statutes'
    my point is your argument is not to promote understanding..it just like the 'show me proof' question, why ask it if you know you will not accept any answers?

now there is a certain point ..IE is the bible the SOLE reason we have laws? or would laws still exist without religion?(adam and eve were the first example of law in religion)

laws can be broken down into catagories..(i have seen this but forget the details)
    starts like; crimes against:
    Property, Person,..(forgot the rest)
    --
    what do you think the first law was?

<gotta go pick up grand daughter..>

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Then I suggest you go back and read what I asked: what is the biblical justification for a speeding ticket? And I also pointed out that IF the bible were the source then the speed limit (and hence the reason for getting a ticket) should be the same throughout the states.

Exactly. Greenboy appears to think that the answer is yes.

Do as you're told!

19. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

the justification is not in the letter of the bible/law (literalist view)
    and since susceptible to interpretation,would not be the same everywhere..

so you are arguing the ten commandments originated from man?
    (prexisting common law?)

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

In other words Greenboy is likely wrong.

I suggest it's highly possible that they are a codification of pre-existing "laws". I don't know enough history but I find it hard to believe* that at least some of them weren't in existence beforehand.

* Which is not, of course, valid as an argument.

21. NMSquirrel OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12 Valued Senior Member

i have never argued right vs wrong...

but it is valid for a conversation/discussion..

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Pfft. Well, okay. So long as you know the difference.

It would be interesting.

23. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Your lies about our secular government are also an example of creeping theocracy on the part of Christians. I'm just as resistant to them as I am to Islam. Equality among the sexes and races is not a Christian principle.