The Holacaust memorial museum in America

Discussion in 'History' started by Brian Foley, Apr 30, 2004.

1. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

What is so unique about mass murder in human history ? Why did Jew's die in a more spectacular way than Armenians ? Was it because they were murdered in a more sophisticated way the native aboriginal peoples ? What is so unique about the Holacaust that it deserves museums worldwide dedicated in its remembrance , billions in compensation to be paid out , university courses dedicated to it , films made about it , countless books authored about it . Yet the recent genocidal event in Rwanda rates paragraghs in newspapers .....

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

The fact that mass murder itself is not unique in human history is all the more reason to have a museum, a university course, films, books, etc... The genocide in Rawanda was pretty horrible as well, and should likewise be a subject of memorials, museums, films, courses, etc... But, the Jews were not rebelling against the Germans, the Jews were not massed in the northern territory with rifles and machetes, the death of the Jews could not be mistaken for civil war, the Rawandans were not systematically starved to death in Ghettos, the Rawandans were for the most part not tortured, or used for slave labor, or their body parts used as raw material for industrial processes, or forced to burn their relatives alive, and the total death toll was about 10% what happened in Germany. Not to belittle the tragedy of the Rawandans, but the holocaust was the largest genecide in recent history. I suggest you visit the holocaust museum, (and please do try to spell it right), or at least, visit the website. The genocide in Rawanda was the subject of several TV programs recently, notably Frontline. I find it strange that you would comment on the state of American media, since you are in Australia. The holocaust was not simply the product of cultural strife, but an example of what horrors can happen to you too, when you let facism arise in your government.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Brian,

If you live in Australia, why are you so concerned about American museums? Why don't you worry about Australian museums instead? Are there any multimillion dollar aborigine museum/monuments? If so, maybe they'd give you a job and you could feel like you're doing something worthwhile with your life.

By the way, Spidergoat cleared up the funding issue. The land was donated by the feds, but the money came from private donations. Is it any wonder that they managed to get the money to build it? After all, who runs the diamond business?

I still wish I were an Indian, I'd probably go to school the rest of my life. Of course, that may not do much for folks back at the res, but I would be happy.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

The natives of North and South America likewise were not rebelling against Europe .
    The natives of North and South America likewise were not threatening Europe .
    Likewise with the Native Americans .
    Reservations came close and were rife with starvation .
    The natives of North and South America were .
    Shrunken heads/scalps were sold in Europe as trinkets .
    I suggest you read up on your own history and let Europeans deal with their own inspired holocaust ( I spelt it right ) .
    Oh well that changes everything a breif 20 minute expose that ought placate the memory of it all .
    I find it strange you would want to post on an Australian forum .
    How naieve since when does facism have a monopoly on genocide .

8. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I was comparing the holocaust with Rawanda, and did not mean in any way to suggest that the tragedy of the native americans is not important. I was trying to explain why knowledge of the holocaust is important. Knowledge of our own history is important as well, but I do not accept responsibility for any of these events. The reason there is a museum in Washington D.C. is because the holocaust is part of the history of WWII, and WWII is a part of the United States' history.

9. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I thought I would comment on the fact that the most prominent Jewish Holocaust museum is in America not Europe and in light of the 500 years of terror inflicted on the natives and blacks there isnt a museum of equal stature .. just seems a tad bit strange .
    There arent any here but we dont have a Holacaust museum here ... yet .

Gee those Jew's who gave money are American arent they and arent they as guilty as the rest as too what happened to the Native Americans ? Afterall Jews like the gentile Christian kinfolk both profited from the genocide . Dont they have an obligation like the rest of White America to the Afro/Native people .
    You sound as blissfully ignorant as any Australian attitude to Aborigines , I suppose you see Native americans like we see Aborigines here .... dirty , lazy , habitually drunk , living a life of luxury on welfare , ignorant ...explains your avoidance of explaining why there should be a museum for native/aboriginal peoples .

10. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

I believe the biggest memorial museum to the holocaust should be in Germany that is where the origins of that genocide began and was formulated and unfortunately put into action . Germany ( not the only guilty party ) is the logical location for that as Aushwitz also should be a memorial it was a European event . It as ridiculous as erecting a museum to the suffering of Native people in Australia in Berlin see the point I am getting at . I believe that because America is Israels biggest financial benefactor is the reason why that museum is their in D.C purely mercenary .

11. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Is this true? Is this an Aussie forum? I believe there is a "where are your from" poll that shows American's in the lead. And the domain name is .com not .au (assuming that's Australia's domain.) (And besides, the internet is ours

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

All your bases are belong to us)

You seem to suggest that the Indians were just hanging out and being cool, then we came along and slaughtered them. As spidergoat mentioned, the indian tribes were a hunter-gatherer society that routinely engaged in wars with each other and with the pioneers. They still got a raw deal in my opinion, but with the mentality of the time, there was no other future possible.

Ever hear of the ghost dance? It was an Indian "movement" in the late 19th century (not sure of exact dates), which also coincided with some of the last major massacres. The shamans and spiritual leaders of the natives came up with the idea that if all the indians across the land could get together and dance the ghost dance, the spirits would be appeased and the white man would vanish like a ghost. To superstitious people (christians) this could be construed as a direct threat. Was Little Big Horn at this time? I don't quite recall. I think so though. Of course, to our modern sensibilities this is just a cultural phenomenon and not a threat, so disregard this paragraph if you wish.

On the shrunken heads and scalps sold as curiousities, I don't think shrunken heads are so much an American phenomenon as a south seas thing. I could be wrong about this (probably am.) As to the scalps, I wonder how many of those scalps were in fact sold to the original traders by Indians. As mentioned above, most tribes engaged in bloody wars and raids on a regular basis.

A similar claim can be applied to slavery, by the way. One always hears about how these evil white men sailed down to Africa and kidnapped people and forced them into slavery. One never hears about how they were in fact sold to the slavers by other Africans, that they were in fact slaves already in Africa. I'm sure that on some occasions, slavers got their hands dirty; but, it would be far easier and more cost efficient to merely buy an existing commodity than to engage in dangerous raids.

On to Indians being used as slaves. I think this is more of a central/south american issue than north american. In the states, we liked our injuns to be somewhere else. We had our own slaves at the time, thank you very much.

It is interesting to note that in central and south america, the natives interbred with the settlers, so that today, there are almost no pure indian strains left. They took back their land. Now if they could just get their governments in order.

Also, census reports I have seen show that the caucasians in the US are being outbred and outimmigrated by latino's. We say latino, but in fact they are a mix of spaniard and native american. I believe 2040 was the date I saw when whites would become a minority. This date is, of course, up for debate, and the true date could be sooner or later. Later most likely. But in the end, the natives will win. The US and Canada are the sole bastions of European colonialism in the Americas. It is inevitable that we will sooner or later be subsumed. Sorry, no links, my sources were all printed.

I agree that fascism and genocide do not necessarily go hand in hand, but I think spidergoat meant that the museum is about more than just the holocaust. It is also a reminder of fascism. Most Germans didn't necessarily believe that the jews should be slaughtered, but the totalitarianism of the government took the issue from their hands. It then reeducated them to believe that it was the right thing to do.

In fact, the fascism of the Prussians educated those earlier Germans to believe in fascism, in the Leader. That's why Nazism was so easily accepted.

12. Brian Foley REFUSE - RESIST Valued Senior Member

The Internet is European .
    1983: Internet Is Defined Officially as Networks Using TCP/IP.
    http://www.historyoftheinternet.com/chap4.html
    1991: The World Wide Web (hypertext software) Is Developed at CERN by Tim Berners-Lee
    http://www.historyoftheinternet.com/chap6.html
    Anyway you seem to be avoiding giving a direct answer on the museum .
    QUESTION: Should a Native American museum take precedence over a European Holocaust museum .
    Seriously me being Australian we owe a debt to Aborigines not just an apology and some half assed recognition of past historical abuses . We owe them monetary recompense , we owe them a country . Take the Jew's out of this Holocaust they recieved $56 billion in reparations since WWII a country and some $250 billion in economic assistance , military assistance and protection , open free trade agreements with America and Europe and what have Aborigine's got ? Outback wasteland for reservations , poverty through neglect from us and alcholism to cope . We owe them something putting up an edifice like the Holocaust museum to me is a slap in the face to them surely you have too agree .

13. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

DARPAnet to internet. Hmmm, DARPA is European? Anyway, I was just joking, the internet has grown beyond whatever bounds originally defined it. I thought Al Gore invented the internet?

The problem with classifying precedence with issues of this type, is that it is easier to blame others than ourselves. The Germans killed the Jews, We killed the Indians. Therefore, it easier to blame the Germans than ourselves.

You talk about reparations and assistance to the jews and their interests. Are you forgetting that Indians have access to college for next to nothing (I might be wrong about this, it might be nothing, absolutely free). How much do you think this would add up to if it were taken advantage of?

Welfare can also be seen as assistance and reparations. How much has this added up to over the years?

An interesting thing about the indians is this. In Seattle, there was an indian uprising awhile back. I don't recall the exact specifics; but some tribes rebelled while some tribes assisted the settlers (remember their constant tribal rivalry?) It's interesting to note that the tribes that assisted the pioneers today have no lands. They are a diminished people. While the rebellious tribes all have vast amounts of land.

I have friends who "own" property in Marysville, a city about an hour north of Seattle. They paid for this land, paid to build their house on the land (neither of which is cheap, homes go for about half a mil here, and the prices are only going up). But guess what, it's not theirs. They live on Indian land. I don't remember when the lease runs out, but when it does, the land reverts to the Indians. Pretty good deal, huh? Maybe Indians aren't as oppressed as they're made out to be?

The Jews are integrated into our society. They understand how to work within the rules of our society. The Indians maintain themselves in their reservations. Reservation land is technically a foreign country. They don't, on the whole, integrate. This is a trend that is beginning to change as Indians begin to take advantage of the assets they have been given. I wonder if the Indians in the US will get it together quickly enough to prevent their being oppressed by their cousins from south of the border?

14. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

I did not know that ! but I am not surprised, The jews can do anything to silence anyone who dare to question them even if it was self-hating jew ( as they like to call Norman ) !!