The history of sexism...where did it begin? Why? Can we rid our world of it?

Discussion in 'History' started by wegs, Aug 4, 2013.

1. billvon Valued Senior Member

OK.

That's not sexist, that's just biology.

That IN AND OF ITSELF is not sexist. "Therefore women shouldn't be combat soldiers" IS sexist.

That is sexist - you are trying to impose your values on others, and it's no more OK than someone else expecting you to be something you don't want to be.

That's fine! Other people prefer looking at strong, smart women without fake hair, boobs and faces. To each their own.

True, but that's true because some PEOPLE are better than other PEOPLE at things. I know women who are much better athletes/daredevils/competitors than you will ever be, and I know men who make great dress designers and primary caregivers for their children. Everyone is different.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

What billvon said!! ^^

I'm so glad you joined this thread.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

:itold: Let me say, before things go in a negative direction...and hopefully they won't.
    This thread isn't designed to pit women against men.

Hope you all know that. It is just to discuss in a healthy way, where the attitude of sexism started, why...and how we can learn to do our part, to lessen it.
    Sexism isn't about making men walk on eggshells for women. It's about how men and women, can equally work together, whatever their given talents may be, without discrimination. Every person deserves to be treated with honor and respect, despite his/her race, gender, etc.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kholdstare Banned Banned

Chase skirt

and not a single fuck about sexism is given that day.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Lakon Valued Senior Member

You are showing a good dose of imposing your values on me.

8. Lakon Valued Senior Member

I walked past a pre school centre today. All staffed by women - each and every one of the. I've walked past it hundreds of times, and have never seen a male pre school worker, though I suppose, some might exist .. somewhere ..

I also walked past a nail salon - again, all women staff - never seen a male.

Some people out the front were digging a ditch, repairing telco line or something .. all males. I don't think I've ever seen a female ditch digger.

Irrespective of your politically correct clap trap, males are predesposed to some roles, females to others, and irrespective of it again, the vast majority of them will gravitate to those roles.

The wiki article (IIRC) said the term sexism was coined in the 60's. Well, the world got along just fine for the last several thousand years of civilised society, warts and all, so much so that population has burgeoned to over 7 billion. Go figure.

Interestingly, for fun, I just had a look at videos someones posted about time travel in old films .. here ..
    http://www.sciforums.com/showthread...ers-caught-in-old-films&p=3094753#post3094753

Go have a look at it. Have a look at all the gorgeous women being women and all the men being men. Nobody seems to be suffering from oppression there .. all look extremely happy, and I daresay, much happier than vast numbers of dissillusioned women I see today. Go figure.

9. arauca Banned Banned

Friend I second you.

My brothers wife never worked outside of the house , She is the queen he is happy and now he is retired and she continue her job taken care of the house and him , both are happy , I think is great

10. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

None of which is sexism. Sexism would be demanding that only women do nails or taught pre-school, and that they shouldn't be allowed to dig ditches...

11. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Yeah, because he wasn't a sexist. In fact this:
    Women of the Manhattan Project

12. arauca Banned Banned

I would newer like to see a woman digging ditches , it would make her masculine and rude . ( A flower is a flower and a cactus is a cactus both are plants and their beauty in their own way

13. Kholdstare Banned Banned

Get in agreement with feminists on what is considered sexist and then come back. Last time I checked peeing while standing is considered sexist.

14. wegs Matter and Pixie Dust Valued Senior Member

I think there is a disconnect in this thread as to what defines sexism.
    :/

15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Who did you check with, Rush Limbaugh? You two share a lot of stalls together or what?

16. billvon Valued Senior Member

Why? You can think whatever you want. As long as you don't try to impose your opinions on others, it's all good.

17. billvon Valued Senior Member

Great!

Great!

Great!

Great!

True. But there was that slavery thing, ownership of women, denying women the vote, denying blacks schooling/voting etc. So I wouldn't claim we "got along just fine." We had problems, and fixed a lot of them. Good for us.

Hmm. How odd that actors would portray something different than reality! Next thing you know you're going to tell us that life isn't as funny as modern comedies make it out to be, or as scary as horror films suggest.

18. billvon Valued Senior Member

If you think that, you are checking in some very odd places.

19. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Actually, I'd love to watch a woman digging a ditch - especially if she was wearing a skimpy top and tight shorts.

You know, when my wife chops the veggies on the kitchen bench, I often ask her to get topless. That way, she can work and entertain me at the same time !

20. Lakon Valued Senior Member

There is a greater force by far demanding these things, than some ephemeral law or coining of a word .. or whatever.

It's called nature - natural law. No matter how you cut it, and no matter what degree of double think and double speak you want to perform, women are predisoded to some roles and men at others. It has been so for millenia. That's why today, men dig ditches and women paint nails.

And please stop stating the obvious, else, show me where I said women digging ditches or men painting nails should be outlawed.

21. Lakon Valued Senior Member

PS; I like yor new pic, wegs. Very cute, pretty and feminine. Your previous pics were no less nice, although they were of you - obviously in an attractive, feminine pose - alluring eyes, expression, etc. You're a good looking gal !

22. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Where did you divine me imposing my opinion on others (any more than could be inferred you imposed yours on mine) ?

23. Lakon Valued Senior Member

Slavery was not the sole ambit of women. Men suffered terribly too, and probably more so. In any case, you think slavery doesn't exist today ? It certainly does, and more so than before, because you don't even know it. You think rising in the morning at 6 AM, travelling to work for an hour or two, getting back home at 7 PM, only to do it again and again 5 - 6 days a week (so as to pay your mortgage or rent
    to sate some banks or landlords grip on you) isn't slavery ? Of course you don't - that's why your'e such an admirable slave (I speak generically, not specifically to you).

We replaced them with more and greater problems.

Did you see the clips ? Where did you see actors ? I thought they were clips of real life, everyday scenes in the 30's 40's, etc. Do you have any evidence that they were actors, to the extent that such a thing would counter what my earlier point was ?