The Higgs Boson in Fiction

Discussion in 'SciFi & Fantasy' started by ScaryMonster, Jul 8, 2012.

1. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

LEX

"In the science fantasy series Lexx, it is said that planets which develop on a path similar to Earth are type 13 planets which are sometimes destroyed by all-out nuclear war, but it is much more common for such planets to be obliterated by physicists attempting to determine the precise mass of the Higgs boson particle. The particle collider's used to perform the calculations reach critical mass at the moment the mass of the particle is known, causing an implosion which destroys the planet and then collapses it into a nugget of super-dense matter "roughly the size of a pea."The mass of the particle was a repeating 131313 matching the name "type 13 planet" and this also is in the predicted range of the particle's mass."

Solaris

"In Steven Soderbergh's 2002 adaptation of Stanisław Lem's novel Solaris, the script has a reference to Higgs bosons, absent in the original book: "So, if we created a negative Higgs field, and bombarded them with a stream of Higgs anti-bosons, they might disintegrate."

Into the Looking Glass

"In John Ringo's Into the Looking Glass, the University of Central Florida is destroyed by a 60 kiloton explosion that is first thought to be a nuclear weapon, but turns out to be a mishap from a Higgs boson research experiment. Following the explosion, gateways to other worlds are opened and a war with the aliens on the other side of the gates begins."

The God Particle

"In Richard Cox's The God Particle, American business man Steve Keeley is thrown out of a window and falls three stories, then wakes up and begins to see the world in a different way; he is able to accurately predict future events, read others' thoughts, and manipulate his environment."
    Quotes from Wikipedia.

I kind of like the first one.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. youreyes amorphous ocean Valued Senior Member

there is large romanticism in the first one, with the number repetition and coincidences...
    and Solaris 2002, do Higgs Bosons have anti-particles?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hoatzin ruminant bird Registered Member

Please see - MattBors.com cartoon for July 11, 2012 - //mattbors.com/archives/892.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. FTLinmedium Registered Senior Member

Lexx was such a bizarre show- genius in a lot of ways too. I'd agree that explanation is the most interesting.

Although, in the context of a frightful public, I worry that kind of trend in scifi can impede support and funding for important research.

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

"frightful public" SF movies don't generate much real fright in the public. However headline seeking journalist have been know to stir up the public. Case in point the speculation that the LHC might create micro black holes that could destroy the Earth. Pure fiction, but a good read if your into that kind of stuff. Anyway those stories didn't seem to affect LHC funding.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

9. FTLinmedium Registered Senior Member

Good point; though I suspect it may have been more that they didn't have time to.

10. GASHOLE Registered Senior Member

Science fiction :facepalm:

11. FTLinmedium Registered Senior Member

Are you not a fan, GASHOLE?

12. ScaryMonster I’m the whispered word. Valued Senior Member

If you doubt the power of science fiction to influence susceptible minds I might cite the example of Scientology, if you believe Xenu chucked a bunch of Aliens in a volcano and that why we feel unhappy then you'll believe anything. Even that zombie Jesus arose from the grave to eat the brain of the unbelievers!

13. kmguru Staff Member

I think we will have more Higg's Boson...type stories from now on...so let us see what kind of ideas they will be. May be tied to Gravity (Graviton) etc...