The greatest city in the world????

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by taylan007, Nov 23, 2005.

1. taylan007 Madman Registered Senior Member

Probably because its the white collars who publish the statistics.

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Azzy42 Registered Senior Member

Well firstly I am not reallly into sport but I have seen a man beaten to a bloody a pulp for insulting the SA rugby team. Some ppl here take their sport REALLY seriously.
    And yes the so called brain drain is beginning to piss me off. SA is a fairly new democracy. It pisses me off to see our best minds taken away. Our health care system is falling apart because Doctors get much better pay overseas. However most will admitt to missing home.

And finally the girls. 15% of high school girls become professional models. (Depending on area). HOLY KRAP! Yum

4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Australian's and south africans tend to get along particularly well from what I've seen, especially country types. I think people from all the rugby and cricket countries get on relatively well, australians and south africans most of all seem to connect.
    Very similar people. You'd think new zealanders and australians would be more similar but they aren't, new zealand is probably the most different out of all british colonies. They're actually annoying, insecure in a way which manifests itself with constant bragging and talking up new zealand for nothing. They're constantly thinking about australia, saying they hate us and then trying to impress us, we exhibit true disdain by ignoring them and forgetting about them all the time.

I guess the terrain plays a bigger role in shaping people than general location on the globe. Australia and south africa have similar terrain.

South africans would probably be my favourite people, there's just no bullshit or drama from them.
    They really just seem the least gay, and it would be interesting to get some gay perentage statistics because I feel like south africa would have very few gays per capita. Which isn't why I think they're great specifically but it is related. You know that really queeny kind of flamboyant gay? The average south african seems on the complete opposite end of the spectrum, while the average of certain countries can get quite close. And that type is just the opposite of "down to earth", "no nonsense", "straight talking" and etc.
    If you have an australian, american and south african on the same bar it won't take long before the australian and south african are giving the american shit without him even realising. But the same goes for england and everywhere, americans are pretty dumb (coming from one of the rare few who likes the country, but you guys are really ignorant and oblivious, at least the variety of americans who travel).

And what is the deal with so many south africans in australia? My little neighbourhood is crawling with south african families. Every second car has the south african flag on the back windshield, every second person I talk to walking my dog has that reserved chippy accent. They also nearly always have cool dogs, comparable to my own.
    That's another statistic I'd like to see, cool dogs per capita. I think australia and south africa would be the top 2 for sure. This again is telling of what kind of people we're talking.

South africans are cool, but their cities are fucked judging from everything I can gather.

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Gustav Banned Banned

hi
    excuse me while i give my dog...a big kick

8. Gustav Banned Banned

shit i think i broke the mutts leg
    might as well put him down

9. valich Registered Senior Member

Dr. Lou Natic:

Good point. Australians are amongst the most friendly people I have met on Earth. Canada comes in at a close second. Africans? Can't generalize them as a whole as there are too many different countries, but some of the friendliest people that I have met have also come from Africa, especially Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. Central Africa I have no experience of: lot's of fighting in and around Rwanda (ethnic cleansing)?

I think you're right: has something to do with terrain maybe? Australia is isolated by water: Canada gets isolated by vast geographic density distances and the harsh winter cold.

10. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

And excuse me while I oppress some black people...

Oops, seems I've oppressed the shit out of them, best I get rid of these empty husks then.

11. valich Registered Senior Member

No. I didn't mean that at all. I was agreeing with you but saying that I just don't know? An American certainly wouldn't be welcome in Libya and there's a lot of genocide and violent murderous atrocities going on in a few African countries. That is what I mean't when I said that I can't "generalize" Africa as a whole. I have no prejucide against blacks?

12. Dr Lou Natic Unnecessary Surgeon Registered Senior Member

Ha, no I was talking to gustav. He's really racist.

You realise "South Africa" is a country right?

13. Roman Banned Banned

[please please please eat valich because you are half cannibal, Doc]

14. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Hi Dr Lou,

* Finally someone with as good a take on Aussie/South African culture as I see myself. I think you are pretty spot on regarding the terrain scenario. It’s a kinda big country culture where the sweat from trekking great distances and working the land, rubs off and grows your balls. I find Aussies and South Africans are both pretty confidant peoples and that seems to rub for example New Zealanders and even West Europeans up the wrong way.

Quote Dr Lou:
    “If you have an australian, american and south african on the same bar it won't take long before the australian and south african are giving the american shit without him even realising.”

* I love that! That is so spot on.

Quote Dr Lou:
    “And what is the deal with so many south africans in australia? My little neighbourhood is crawling with south african families. Every second car has the south african flag on the back windshield, every second person I talk to walking my dog has that reserved chippy accent.”

* Chippy accent my ass. Nothing wrong with good, well spoken English. Maybe its the Afrikaans accent your` hearing. The deal is Dr Lou, we (South Africans) are slowly taking over Australia. From the inside out.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

After flitting between Cape Town and Melbourne for many years, I am moving permanently to Melbourne next year to be with the missus. (beaut Aussie girl) And I concur, Aussies are a wonderful bunch, and Australia is surely the land of milk and honey.

15. The Flemster Unstoppable sex machine Registered Senior Member

I live near London.
    It's shit and overrated.

Best city.... um.... Miami's kinda nice.... um... Manila's-- no, forget that..... Amsterdam. There, that'll do. Legal drugs, legal hookers, nice and clean, nice people. Bit chilly in winter but fuck it-- can't have it all, eh?

The Flemster.

16. valich Registered Senior Member

Lot of problems with racial discrimination in South Africa still among minorities and the poor. Nothing against South Africans though, but there's a problem in that country that is still going on today.

Australia must have a lot of vacant land available as they accept refugees from everywhere: Vietnam, China, Africans. Still, they all seem to adapt to the friendly congenial Ausie way of life.

17. firdroirich A friend of The Friends Registered Senior Member

Victoria Falls, Zimabwe.There's something in the air in that place, I tell ya. Can't quite say exactly what it is. But if you've been, then you know what I mean.

Hey Dr, Cape Town in SA is the gay capital in Africa. It's the only place in Africa I've seen that's blatantly "ok, to be gay"

18. john smith Tongue in cheek Registered Senior Member

I can see why you hate London!!

19. jack54 Registered Senior Member

Just a few things:

I think at the start of this thread people were looking at cities from a pretty narrow perspective. Yeah, there are so many elements you have to consider. I live in Melbourne (Australia), and I think it's pretty nice here compared to other places I've seen (mainly Asia and Europe). I think the biggest things we have going for us are climate and parkland. We have /lots/ of gardens scattered through the city, which is nice. Compared to the Asian cities I've visited, pollution is much better.

Yes, I'm probably being a bit biased because I live here

As for the SA-Aus thing, The South Africans I've met have all been great blokes. No qualms there.

Something I've noticed more and more in Melbourne recently - and I live in a suburb populated primarily by Asians (add multicultural to the reasons I like this city

) - are the amount of Africans! Suddenly (it seems) there are lots of REALLY tall REALLY black Africans walking around in these brightly coloured clothes. I have to force myself not to stare, because they look so... great.

20. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Good on you jack54! I think you are spot on. Melbourne is a great place to live. I have to admit to being really fond of Adelaide thought. Great memories and beaut docklands. Still need to see Brisbane.

21. jack54 Registered Senior Member

I've never really visited Adelaide, just driven through.

I really love Brisbane. Their south bank is wonderful: nice food and these purple flowered vines or something that form these cool green tunnels. I also have a thing for that sort of weather, the humid wet climate (I really like rain and storms). It's quieter and slower than Melbourne which is nice.

Sydney I've been to once, but we didn't leave the airport. I was about 8 years old, and it was when they had that bug in their drinking water. All the drinking taps in the airport were taped off with warning signs etc., and I remember refusing to drink a drop the whole time we were there, not quite understanding that bottled water was fine

A few people mentioned that they prefer the country. I prefer the bush. I love being out in the heat, hiking, absolutely alone, bottle of water in hand and a pack on my back just enjoying the outdoors. Cities are fantastic, but there is something awesome about being by yourself in the bush.

22. stretched a junkie's broken promise Valued Senior Member

Hiya jack54,

Yep. The bush is great. Thats what South Africans and Australians share. A love of the bush. In SA we call the vastness of the bush (veldt) the "Big Sky". I have plans to do a road trip around the Australian coastline. From Melbourne right around and back. Heading west first. Thats about 2 years away.

23. intent poet Registered Member

macedonia