The Golden Compass contoversy

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Oniw17, Nov 24, 2007.

1. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Hypocrisy, paranoia, and a stupid controversy that will only help sell the film. Almost anytime Bill Donohue is involved, it's best to just turn off the television and think for oneself.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Oniw17 ascetic, sage, diogenes, bum? Valued Senior Member

Or any other time that your tv causes someone else to think for you?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Grandtheftcow Registered Member

Amusingly the Catholic School Board here in Ontario just recently pulled the book stating that it's anti-religious and the author is one of those darn atheists that keep popping up and obviously we have to censor those people.

8. wsionynw Master Queef Valued Senior Member

Whatever, I'm sure the film makers love all the free publicity, it didn't do The DaVinci Code any harm.

9. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

I suppose. There are, in fact, times when television provides useful information. However, those occasions that Bill Donohue is on the screen generally don't qualify.

My two favorite Donohue moments are when he threw a hissy fit on one of the 24/7 newsblabbers about Smith's Dogma, and then when he embarrassed himself on MSNBC after some philosophy major made a crack about Catholics at a football game ("The good news is that tuition will be going down like an altar boy"). What can we conclude from ol' Bill's tantrums? First, that Catholic doctrine should be exempt from critical thought, and, secondly, Catholics ought to be exempt from humor. I always wonder why the strong and righteous, with God on their side, need to be treated as if they are the frail.

10. visceral_instinct Monkey see, monkey denigrate Valued Senior Member

Oh God. Fucking rabid Christians.

11. Neildo Gone Registered Senior Member

Yep, there's no such thing as bad publicity. I never even heard of the movie, so I had no intentions to see it, but now after all this, I just might.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

ROFLMAO!!!

- N

12. Clockwood You Forgot Poland Registered Senior Member

Trying to kill god? I have absolutely no problem with such a thing and, from what I can tell, deicide is not actually against any American law. If indeed there is a god, he would probably endorse this movie because, as a species, we are too stupid to handle the concept of religion.

13. Communist Hamster Cricetulus griseus leninus Valued Senior Member

The books which the film is based on, and the BBC Radio 4 audio dramatisation are pretty good too.

14. Orleander OH JOY!!!! Valued Senior Member

I take it he was also against Harry Potter? He just seems the type.

15. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

I bet no one is going to even remember this movie a year from now, so I don't think the controversy will be consequential.

16. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

What was The Chronicles of Narnia?

Hitchens views the His Dark Materials series as a direct rebuttal of C. S. Lewis's series. Although Pullman has criticized C. S. Lewis's series The Chronicles of Narnia as religious propaganda, the two series have several things in common. Both feature children facing adult moral choices, talking animals, religious allegories, parallel worlds, and concern the ultimate fate of those worlds. The first published Narnia book, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, begins with a young girl hiding in a wardrobe, as does the first His Dark Materials book, Northern Lights (published as The Golden Compass in North America). [wikipedia]

17. Xev Registered Senior Member

Pfft. Lyra hides in a wardrobe to spy on a meeting, whatever kid is in CoN hides in a wardrobe for a game. As for "dealing with adult moral situations, fate-of-the-world shit, th talking animals and other worlds," what children's fantasy books don't have something like that?

Basically, C.S Lewis sucked the big one and Pullman is a really good writer.

18. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Even as a biased atheist I have to say Lewis >>> Pullman. And I think Pullman is highly ridiculous to call CoN propaganda.

However their books really were for different ages. CoN was for very little children and the golden compass was for little children. If you evaluate a kids story like an adult one then I can see why you were not a fan of Lewis's writing. Speaking from experience though, CoN is great as a kid. As an adult, I thought Pullman's stories sucked.

19. BigBlueHead Great Tealnoggin! Registered Senior Member

Chronicles of Narnia... not... propaganda?

Have my ears gone INSANE?

What was the Chronicles of Narnia but an allegory for Christianity with the difficult parts removed and placed with fuzzier more cheerful parts?

20. Exhumed Self ******. Registered Senior Member

Never seemed remotely similar to me when I read & watched them as a kid.

21. Xev Registered Senior Member

Yay, you dropped in!

Why? Lewis can't write, his "imagination" consists of stealing myths from various European cultures, his characters are stupid and his books are vapid and misogynistic. "Oh gee, girls are too silly and pretty to do anything useful! Why don't you go make us something to eat?" Yeah blow me Mr. Tolkien-wannabe.

22. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

intresting you would refer to lewis as a tolkien wannabe considering tolkien knew cs lewis and thought him a decent author

23. Xev Registered Senior Member

True, but Tokien also thought that describing a birthday party for fifty pages was appropriate.