The Gingrich File

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Tiassa, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Is he any relation to the Gingrich that stole Christmas?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

A braver man than I

I don't know; I would say, "Boo! Hiss!" except this particular obvious joke is apparently fair game. And, you know, that's good enough for me, I guess.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Henry Payne, The Detroit News, December 18, 2011
    (via Cagle)

I've so been resisting that joke. Thank ye for putting it out there. Thou art a braver man than I.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Let no obvious joke be left unsaid.
    That's my motto.
    That cartoon is a much funnier version, I must say.

We shouldn't leave out the obligatory Christmas Carol reference, should we?

"A Perry Christmas one and All."
    said Tiny Mitt, the poor crippled boy.

You might find this interesting.

It's all the GOP candidates stances on foreign policy, according to the Christian Science Monitor.
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...-and-other-key-foreign-issues/Jon-Huntsman-Jr.

And on Energy and the Environment
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...d-on-energy-and-the-environment/Newt-Gingrich

And on Immigration
    http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Electi...tion-and-other-social-issues/Michele-Bachmann

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Newt Gingrich Has A New Idea For America, And It's Absolutely Terrifying
    Now, Gingrich says that, if elected president, he would be free to ignore the Supreme Court and abolish entire federal court systems if he disagrees with their rulings (that means you, 9th Circuit). Under Newt's reign, judges could be impeached, subpoenaed, and even arrested by U.S. Marshals if their rulings were deemed "anti-American" by the Gingrich administration.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Good job he isn't a creationist.
    I think. (Fingers Crossed)

With his stance on legal matters, if he was impeached, could he refuse to go to trial?

9. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

The asshole didn't even get on the ballot in Virginia, although he lied about it a few days ago.

He should die a slow and painful death....

10. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Where is the love for Gingrich? He could be a savior for the sane average American patriot. His selection as the Republican/Tea Party nominee could be the death knell of the Republican/Tea Party as we know it.

Frankly I am way past tired of the insanity and moral depravity that has become the Republican Party these last 20 years. You cannot successfully run a nation that derives its morals and public policies from radio talk show hosts who are more intent on keeping their ratings high with inflammatory rhetoric and lies than the health and welfare of the nation and its citizens.

11. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, to be fair, the Virginia primary is in March, and by that time it will be obvious, who gets the nomination. So he doesn't really have to worry about that State, but still, it just shows how ineffective his campaign is....

12. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I have to agree. He has run a very ineffective campaign. But even so, he is now a front runner. I don't think Newt ever expected to be where he is in the ratings today. I think this campaign, like many of his fellow candidates, started out more as a way to market their books, speeches, and paraphernalia than a legitimate run for the presidency.

13. chimpkin C'mon, get happy! Registered Senior Member

14. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

"The important thing you have to understand about Newt Gingrich is that he is amoral. There isn't any right or wrong, there isn't any conservative or liberal. There's only what will work best for Newt Gingrich. He's probably one of the most dangerous people for the future of this country that you can possibly imagine. He's Richard Nixon, glib. It doesn't matter how much good I do the rest of my life, I can't ever outweigh the evil that I've caused by helping him be elected to Congress." - L.H. Carter

15. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I can agree with you on his lack of morals and he does seem to have an exaggerated sense of importance. But then he is not alone, I find most of his fellow Republican candidates to be either morally challenged or complete buffoons.

16. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

17. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Write-offs and salvaging profit

Maybe. The investment of seeding and cultivating the anti-Gingrich sentiment only found root because the sowing grounds were fertile. That is, Gingrich can't win the general and everyone knows it. If he was a stronger candidate, he could have endured the slings and arrows of the hardline right wing. After all, Mitt Romney now enjoys the spotlight, and possibly until opening day; we'll see what the caucus-goers come up with. But Romney has endured the right-wing litmus disapproval specifically because he is a stronger candidate for the general.

In the end, conservatives are more capitalistic than their liberal neighbors; Republicans will cut their losses and run with Romney if the alternative means handing Obama a clear path to a second term.

18. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Honestly, I don't even think the Reps want the Presidency so bad. After all, except the Healtcare thingy, Obama did everything what a Rep president would have done. And in these economically dangerous times, it is better to have a Dem president, so if shit happens, they can blame it on him...
    That's why there is no clear cut establishment backed runner....

19. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

Actually, the healthcare thingy, was the Republican healthcare plan before the Democrats adopted it. It's actually a bit funny now, but encouraging, to hear Romney and Gingrich remind the ditto head crowd that the healthcare reform package passed by Democrats, including the mandate, originated in a Republican think tank (Heritage Foundation) and endorsed by folks like Gingrich and Romney as recently as 2006 (Gingrich).

Republicans didn't think healthcare mandates were evil until the Democrats backed their healthcare ideas - funny how that works.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  20. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Well, then my point is even stronger about Obama being a nice Rep president....

So there is no point in messing with success....

21. Syzygys As a mother, I am telling you Valued Senior Member

Looks like Newt is coming in at 4th in Iowa, a huge loss for him and for pollsters. Just showing that early polls are well, basicly worthless....

22. Tiassa Let us not launch the boat ... Valued Senior Member

Only in America, or, Life in These United States

Only in these United States, it seems, can a candidate hoping to appeal to the "family values" voting bloc be accused of serial adultery and asking a wife to transform the marriage into an open relationship and have that count as an asset.

I think part of the problem the Republicans face is not only the lack of any good candidate, but the idea that this process is repeatedly shining a light on the disingenuousness of conservative politics.

No, really, I get why someone like Rick "The Splatter" Santorum plays well in the conservative evangelical world. But how is it that a serial adulterer asking his wife to open the marriage so he can continue to have an affair without guilt count as a plus in the family values column?

23. Bells Staff Member

Indeed. The fact he got a standing ovation from the audience and managed to make himself out to be the victim says a lot about the disingenuousness of his politics and those who think he is mana from heaven.

Every person in here knows personal pain. Every person in here has had someone close to them go through painful things.

Poor poor baby.

How dare anyone hold him accountable for his own behaviour?

Maybe his "personal pain", the "painful things" at the time was that he felt he was being denied his 'chevrolet' (ie the current wife) when his wife refused his demands for an open marriage so he could continue his years long affair.

Early in May, she went out to Ohio for her mother's birthday. A day and a half went by and Newt didn't return her calls, which was strange. They always talked every day, often ten times a day, so she was frantic by the time he called to say he needed to talk to her.

"About what?"

He wanted to talk in person, he said.

"I said, 'No, we need to talk now.' "

He went quiet.

"There's somebody else, isn't there?"

She kind of guessed it, of course. Women usually do. But did she know the woman was in her apartment, eating off her plates, sleeping in her bed?

She called a minister they both trusted. He came over to the house the next day and worked with them the whole weekend, but Gingrich just kept saying she was a Jaguar and all he wanted was a Chevrolet. " 'I can't handle a Jaguar right now.' He said that many times. 'All I want is a Chevrolet.' "

He asked her to just tolerate the affair, an offer she refused.

He'd just returned from Erie, Pennsylvania, where he'd given a speech full of high sentiments about compassion and family values.

The next night, they sat talking out on their back patio in Georgia. She said, "How do you give that speech and do what you're doing?"

"It doesn't matter what I do," he answered. "People need to hear what I have to say. There's no one else who can say what I can say. It doesn't matter what I live."

[Source]