The Fix Is In in Iran

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Buffalo Roam, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

So the fact that Iranians are demonstrating in the streets over a government system that has been stable and functional under almost 30 years of sanctions, proves that the system does not work?

What a novel concept.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

There is no proof whatsoever of election fraud, and I believe this is just rhetoric from the enemies of Iran and the will of of its people. I have been looking through Western media for a balanced article on this topic, this seems to be the best article which I've found. Take a look.

While Western news reports from Tehran in the days leading up to the voting portrayed an Iranian public enthusiastic about Ahmadinejad's principal opponent, Mir Hossein Mousavi, our scientific sampling from across all 30 of Iran's provinces showed Ahmadinejad well ahead.
    The breadth of Ahmadinejad's support was apparent in our preelection survey. During the campaign, for instance, Mousavi emphasized his identity as an Azeri, the second-largest ethnic group in Iran after Persians, to woo Azeri voters. Our survey indicated, though, that Azeris favored Ahmadinejad by 2 to 1 over Mousavi.
    Allegations of fraud and electoral manipulation will serve to further isolate Iran and are likely to increase its belligerence and intransigence against the outside world. Before other countries, including the United States, jump to the conclusion that the Iranian presidential elections were fraudulent, with the grave consequences such charges could bring, they should consider all independent information. The fact may simply be that the reelection of President Ahmadinejad is what the Iranian people wanted.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy.../06/14/AR2009061401757.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I see, so all those people rioting in the streets of Iran are Americans?

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Nope just Mousavi supporters. Unfortunately because Mousavi has been touted as a "reformist" and Americans have short attention spans, there is a misunderstanding about what exactly it means that Iranians are protesting.

Mousavi is a figure that appeals to the Islamic establishment. He became Prime Minister of Iran two years after the revolution ended. He remained in power for eight years [two terms]. During his period, Hezbollah came into power and the US mission fell in Iran. He withdrew from political life in 1989.

His resurgence now is from a group that is protesting against the current status quo. It has little to do with the west. Several senior elite clerics also support him.

8. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Sam.
    I was as suspicious as yourself at the embracement of the Western Media of this .
    Opportunistic, and with agendas, whatever the outcome.

There has been more coverage in the UK of the few thousand protesters in Tehran, than of the Million plus that protested in London against the starting of the Iraq war.

Hopefully, eventually, the Iranians will get the person that they voted for.
    That may well have been A., though if he has been party to electoral corruption, he should be disqualified. Should.

It looks as though the Iranian leaders are bowing to pressure and will authorise a recount.
    Can you trust this recount?
    About as much as you can trust British prime Minister Gordon Brown's announcement this week of a private enquiry into Britain's involvement in the Iraq war, to come to fair conclusions.
    ie not at all.

Power corrupts.... etc.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
  9. Meursalt Comatose Registered Senior Member

Iran really only has itself to blame for the suspicion.

The USA, whose electoral process is almost transparent by comparison, would be practically incapable of pulling something like that off. Admittedly, Bush Jnr got away with something... odorous, but that had more to do with the electoral system than any deliberate rigging, as I understood it.

Iran could, quite easily.
    Add a couple hundred thousand disgruntled Iranians to the mix and the attention of the Western media, and you have a dead fish under the floorboards in the eyes of outside observers.

That is not to say that they did.
    (I find it necessary these days to clarify that before the accusations start flying).

10. Tyler Registered Senior Member

DH, There are good reasons to question this election.

1. There are no independent observers. I'm pretty sure all monitors are appointed by the guardian council.

2. Websites and text-messaging were reported (by Iranians) to be blocked.

3. The results were given unusually quickly.

4. Mousavi lost in his own hometown, which is unprecedented.

5. There was a huge surge in voting turnout and yet his numbers actually went up. This is statistically unusual. The standard is for large increase in voter percentage to indicate a change in one direction or another.

http://www.time.com/time/specials/p...04,1904645_1904644,00.html?xid=rss-topstories

11. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Blocking media is commonly done in India when large scale riots are anticipated, to forestall just such a possibility. So its not something I would question if people are pouring out.

12. Bells Staff Member

We don't know if fraud was involved. I doubt we will ever know. It could very well be that he won 63% of the votes. Astounding and one could say miraculous if he did. And also surprising that he won in just about every single demographic (age, sex, class, etc). 63% is a huge margin. And it indicates that something's not quite right.

Something you need to keep in mind:

Now, it can't be proven unless there is a partial and fair recount. Hopefully public pressure will ensure that the recount is fair and partial.

Did he win? Maybe. But by that much? I doubt it.

Mersault is actually correct. Iran (or more to the point, its voting system) is to blame for this current debacle.

As I said, we'll never know one way or the other. But the system leaves itself open to questions of fraud. Ahmadinejad would probably have had no protests if the win had not been so, well, overstated. I mean 63%? Heh.. Greedy.

13. kmguru Staff Member

The best way is for them to count the votes in front of all opposing parties and public in front of a camera. That will tell how many and who got what. If they are just providing a number without counting, then they can easily throw out the opposition votes to match the government declared numbers.

14. joepistole Deacon Blues Valued Senior Member

I think they need to redo the vote.

15. Buffalo Roam Registered Senior Member

And what good would that do? allow for a better cover for the election steal.

Besides it is Islamic Guardian Council, who chooses who can run and who is victor in the elections.

16. Giambattista sssssssssssssssssssssssss sssss Valued Senior Member

That's because everything the UK does is automatically awesome. You know, it's all so we can enjoy our freedom fries.

17. Ganymede Valued Senior Member

They're not protesting the system. They're protesting the right to choose who's represents them within the system.

18. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

It is an established fact that President Ahmadi Nejad is the most popular leader in Iran since the Revolution. The reason why its difficult for many Westerners to comprehend this is because their perceptions are largely shaped by a biased anti-Iranian and anti-Muslim media. Most of the people from the region have been following events in Iran for several years, and it isn't just in the last couple of days that we had an interest in Iran's internal affairs. It is just self-denial to even think Mousavi had any chance against Ahmadi Nejad. We all know Western displeasure of democracy in Muslim countries, i.e. Gaza. It isn't a coincidence that all America's allies in the regions are tyrannical dictators.

19. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

20. chris4355 Registered Senior Member

The polls clearly said otherwise.

21. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Thanks Diamond Hearts, now we are getting somewhere. I wanted to know who "Terror free tomorrow" were in this http://www.juancole.com/2009/06/terror-free-tomorro-poll-did-not.html turned up on the first Google page. Cole is normally a critic of Western imperialism but here he is casting doubts on that good Washington Post article that you linked to.

22. nirakar ( i ^ i ) Registered Senior Member

Who's polls?

23. quadraphonics Bloodthirsty Barbarian Valued Senior Member

"Most popular" isn't necessarily the same thing as "popular," let alone "legitimate."

The protests against the dictator currently occurring in Tehran are the largest since the Revolution.

The Turks are tyrranical dictators now?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.