The Faces of Meth

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by Bowser, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

The Faces of Meth

Recently there was an article in a local paper here regarding the destructive nature of Meth. I always knew that it is a nasty drug, but it seems that its use has reached epidemic proportions here in the northwest..

I know we sometimes make lite of drug use here, but there are many substances out there that really should be avoided.

The Faces of Meth

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. hotsexyangelprincess WMD Registered Senior Member

I wonder how people can squander their money, lives, and bodies on something so short lived as a drug high. Anyhow, watch out for that Athelwulf. :m:

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Bowser Namaste Valued Senior Member

Back in the 70's (about a thousand years ago when I was in school) I had a freind who talked about crystal meth. I knew then that it was his drug of choice, but I knew nothing of the drug other than it was a form of speed. I guess this stuff has been around for years, but has just grown in popularity in last few years.

I wonder how he is these days.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xerxes asdfghjkl Valued Senior Member

Theres a town north of here, 'Leduc', and apparently 90% of the people there are on meth. Its disgraceful..

8. milkweed Valued Senior Member

It destroys lives worse than any other drug I have ever seen in action. People I knew very well, people with good jobs, good lives, wives, children, homes, etc have thrown it all away for this drug. Some are doing 5-25 year prison stretches now. Some are dead. Some are good as dead, but their hearts are still beating. But thats all the signs of life they have. I am sooo glad "speed" has never been one of my drugs of choice.

Once they have become wrapped up with this horrific addiction, they never get better. They speak of alcholics being "one day at a time". I have seen no former meth users. I havent ever met a former meth user. And some have been thru the best treatment centers. All have gone back further into this nightmare. Eventually.

There is no stopping them, once the sores start, or the teeth begin to fall out. They have fried their brains so badly there is no life without the drug. I guess that is the point medicine has to accept. I do not see getting these people off meth. They will need to set up a program like they do with heroin. Whats the name of that drug they use in place of heroin? Methadone? The authorities will have to accept these people will need to be medicated for the rest of their lives. This is permanent damage inflicted upon themselves. But permanent is what it is. They will return to the life that ruined them. Its more than a craving. It becomes such a base push. Obsession. The only thing they think about. They surround themselves with others just as addicted. If you are not a user, you dont get in. And they will do ANYTHING to get more. Anything.

I hope this program helps keep people from trying it. I hope these pictures scare the hell out of those who view them. I have seen these people in real life and this is what happens. I have been told the sores are from the chemicals leaching out of the skin but I dont know if that is true. I cannot imagine what this combination of toxic chemicals is doing to their livers. Seems their brains and hearts give out first. But if the liver cannot get the stuff out of their systems, well, just think about that for a bit.

ick
    <br>&nbsp;

9. milkweed Valued Senior Member

The formulas have changed. The meth you knew of then is nothing like the stuff going around now. More potent. Not cut. Pure stuff (well as pure as a combination of mostly toxic chemicals can be). And the recipes for making this crap are floating around alot of regions. Its not just the northwest. Its everywhere.
    <br>&nbsp;

10. Athelwulf Rest in peace Kurt... Registered Senior Member

. . . :bugeye:

What? Am I a drug addict now?

. . . Will do, dude. I'm only interested in that leaf as of now.

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

/Cue snarky voice
    But marijuana is a gateway drug!
    /end snarky voice

Some of those women look a tad less hideous after meth.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  12. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Well todays your lucky day... and I look nothing like that

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Amphetamines can be easily made from pseudo-ephidrine found in many cold and flu tablets, making it a cheap drug of choice. In small doses its pretty harmless and quite fun, but because its so cheap, small doses get bigger and more often. Never met any crystal meth users with sores and crap like that tho, and some of my mates have used for years and years. Guess it comes down to the old use/abuse arguement. If you dont trust your willpower, don't dabble...

13. milkweed Valued Senior Member

yes, that has been well known and a common method (as in years) for teens to harvest a cheap speed for a very long time. But that is not the type the link Bowser posted was refering too. Heres one that describes the method of manufacture that produces the meth which causes these sores, and is the toxic chemical mishmash that is the most common form of meth found in the usa nowadays. And the type I was describing.

http://www.prescottaz.com/meth/hazmat.htm

It does not sound like the type you were using, involved this method of production. Now a question for you. If you knew your meth manufacture involved these toxic and corrosive chemicals, would you still have used it?

14. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Hard to say, I knew it wasn't made with buttercups and fairy floss, but at the time I didn't really care that much.

Is this the method you are talking about...

(link deleted by me)

Dont crucify me for posting that link, I found it just then with a two second google, so anyone who wanted to know could've without me linking it!

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  15. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

I know two of them, and no they don't all go back to it. In fact one friend's sister quit, too, that's three, so I tend to think you're being a little hysterical, but it is bad stuff.

16. milkweed Valued Senior Member

ok. Are you saying you didnt know how the stuff you used was made?

Those who moderate the forum can decide what to do about the link. I googled my link too but chose one that showed the chemicals used without producing a method. Real life experiences dictate that particular ethic for me, when I am posting in a public forum.

There are alot of the same chemicals used (but not all the same). And there are several recipes floating around.

I am not anti-drug. I think most should be legal (I dont think PCP should be a legal drug for people as another example of my anti-drug side) and I think if they would have left doctors alone back when the stones were singing about Mothers Little Helper, we would be alot better off today. But this backyard chemistry IS doing things to people as the pictures and text in the original link portrayed. And I would never want anyone to go thru what I have seen others go thru because of these backyard chemists (hence the deleted link).
    <BR>&nbsp;

17. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Fair call, I deleted it.

The actual process details, no, but I knew it was derived from pseudo-ephedrine. I was a pretty casual user, mainly weekends when going out partying etc and never felt like I needed to have it, not like a need for nicotine or caffeine.
    In my experience it's more psychologically addictive than physically addictive, so for me personally it never became a problem.

18. milkweed Valued Senior Member

Quit how long ago? One dude I know very well was sober (alcohol and meth in the early 70s) for 25 years before he eventually went back to meth. After he gets out from his 5 year sentence, we will see. He never did drink again. He still can claim to be alcohol free even now. The guy going in on a 6-10 year stint was a straight guy, I never knew him to have had a drug/alcohol problem in the 20 years I knew him (brother of a very good friend). Until he hit 50 or so. 55 years old and hes down for 6-10. 2nd bust for him in the last three years. First time they let him by with long term (6 month in-patient) treatment. He was out less than a year. One is 27 on his 2nd trip into the pen over meth. He was 22 the first time he went in on a 3-5 (nephew). Like I said before. I dont know any former meth users. I am soo glad speed was not my drug of choice.

There is another who blew his brains out with his .357 cuz he couldnt stop (viet nam vet, dead one year ago this month). Not an official meth death I know. But his suicide note convinces me. He said it was because he couldnt stop and it ruined his life. Nam didnt kill him but meth did. We were friends in the late 70s but I havent seen him since 1995 or so. I didnt use meth so I wasnt on the inside.

If they continue to remain meth free, hey, congrats! Good for your friends. But I have real doubt that they will remain meth free. Real life experiences with people tells me different. Like I said, I hope that site/program scares the hell out of potential meth users.

19. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

Thats a pretty shitty thing to say dude. You've got no fuckin idea really, just put em all into the 'druggie' pigeonhole ay?

Doesn't 25 years tell you that perhaps he was not addicted?

I'm sorry about your friend man. People takes drugs for a reason, each there own, perhaps both the meth and the .357 were an escape hatch from Nam... but I never knew him, so I wont try to guess his mindset, but yeah, sorry, that sucks.

20. milkweed Valued Senior Member

OK. But you read your link right? Knowing exactly how this is made, do you still consider this "harmless"?

I think almost all drug use starts out that way. Its the psychological boost that attracts a user back for more. Nobody every continues to use a drug cuz it makes them feel badly (well there may be exceptions to that rule). But wouldnt you agree that it becomes a physical need (maybe addiction isnt the right word for this backyard brew) as the user damages their brain functions with repeated use of this meth?

21. ScRaMbLe Chaos Inc. Registered Senior Member

No, I never did, but

Which is where the harm is done... Same as any drug, legal or illegal.

Yes.

Very subjective I think. IMO it's a psychological addiction more than an actual physical dependance, but I dare say daily users probably would get pretty serious withdrawl symptoms without, same as alcohol/cigarettes/caffeine. So I guess it depends on how much/ how often which goes back to my original point of use/abuse.

I think if its only used for fun, not as a crutch, the chances of addiction are significantly reduced.

22. milkweed Valued Senior Member

I will not minimize the impact this drug has on people cuz hes got 3 people he thinks are going to remain meth free. Actually, he has no idea if they are drug free. They claim this, but so did all the people I mentioned in my post, at one time or another. Hey If I am wrong that would be great for all 3 of them. I wont be disapointed for being wrong on that one. It would be nice to be wrong, for all their futures, including for the people who care about them.

He used for 5 years before he got popped for meth this time. This is the first time he has been caught with meth. When he quit for the 25 years, he hadnt been caught. This time he destroyed his life. Lost his wife, lost his home, in debt like you wouldnt believe. The only reason he isnt using now is because he is in prison. He is a meth addict. And I dont think he will make it when he gets out either. Odds are stacked against him big time. Thats the reality for him. And I think the same of the other two I mentioned in my post who are doing time. I doubt they will remain meth free.
    <BR>&nbsp;

23. milkweed Valued Senior Member

It always starts out as "used for fun". And comparing the legal drugs (alcohol/cigs/caffeine) just doesnt work in this model. Compare this to the illegal stills in various parts of the world that leave people blind and dead. When they go into withdrawl, getting the help they need is the last place you will find them. Just like with meth. And no one knows if they will be the one who cant reduce the risk. With all the various drugs available for fun, why mess with something that is brewed from a cocktail of corrosive and toxic chemicals probably created by someone who downloaded the recipe off some website that disapeared two days later?