The Expansion Tectonics of Europa

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by OilIsMastery, Oct 2, 2008.

1. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Behold the Lost Continent of Mu.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Absolute pseudoscience.

How on Earth to people come up with this crap? It's straight out of a fantasy novel.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Incorrect.

My statement stands.

If you accept Zircon dating, and paleomagnetism data, then you must accept that at some point (for example) the Old Red continent exists.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

An argument from ignorance (which this is) still constitutes a logical fallacy (which this is).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Mine scanned and rhymed. Your was the poetic equivalent of your arguments against plate tectonics: weak, disjointed, unfocused and with no redeeming social or scientific value.

8. Ophiolite Valued Senior Member

Trippy,
    have you considered the pathology of OIM's position? Does he actually believe the rubbish he spouts? If not what is his motive? If he does, how can he be so stupid in his conclusions?
    I find his frerquent misinterpretation of what has been written very revealing. He does this with both posters comments and extracts from research papers. It does not have the feel of something deliberate, but is rather a genunine misunderstanding. I am not familiar enough with abnormal psychology to be able to identify possible causes for this condition. Any thoughts?

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What is the Old Red continent? Is that Mu?

10. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

No.

The Old Red Continent was formed in the Devonian as a result of a collision between the Laurentia, Baltica and Avalonia cratons.

The Old Red Continent (also known as Euramerica) became part of Laurasia, and the formation of the Old Red Continent caused the Caledonian Orogeny.

My recollection is that it's referred to the Old Red continent because of the colour of some of the Devonian sandstones that were formed.

Evidence for its existence includes, but is not limited to, the common age of the mountain ranges involved, Paleomagnetic data (which indicates, for example, that Laurentia and Baltica were in the same place at the same time, but Africa, for example, was not) and Fossil assemblies.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

I've considered it yes.
    I've often wondered if English is his first language, as many of the 'mistakes' I have seen him make are consistent with ESL speakers.

In some respects I'm greatful to OIM, believe it or not.

12. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Besides, remember, you're the one citing articles referrencing Mu, not me.