The Expansion Tectonics of Europa

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by OilIsMastery, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Vkothii Banned Banned

Produced via what process, o intelligent one?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Via nuclear fission/fusion, o condescending one?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

That's not what I said. Stop trying to twist and distort my words into meaning something different.

Are you suggesting that the Proton-Proton chain, and the CNO cycle do not represent Nucleosynthesis?

If your going to argue, at least have the decency to do so honestly.

There is no evidence to support the hypothesis that the sun, or the earth have the conditions neccessary to produce Iron by fusion.

I should point out that I did not originally explicitly state that I was referring to the production of Iron by fusion, and fusion alone, however I would expect that anyone with competent reading comprehension skills, and a basic understanding of cosmology would have been able to infer that for themselves by my explicit comparison of the conditions of interior of the Earth and sun to an O-type star - thus either OIM is defficient in one of the aforementioned areas, or he is simply being dishonest (again) and applying quotes out of context (again).

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Vkothii Banned Banned

So you're an astrophysicist as well?
    wikipedia doesn't mention iron being produced in earth-sized planets (??), or main-sequence G-types. It does mention massive stars (not sure if stars of 1 solar mass qualify as "massive").

So Fe comes from nucleosynthesis in massive stars; there's something about how Fe synthesis isn't exothermic, a dying star that makes Fe is destroying its ability to maintain outward pressure against collapse. I think some other thing happens at this point..?

8. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I asked you a simple question. Does our sun engage in nucleosynthesis, yes or no?

In that case, there is no evidence to support the hypothesis that it doesn't. What is your point?

9. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

What do I have to do with nuclear fission and nuclear fusion?

LOL.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

10. Vkothii Banned Banned

That statement must be at least as logical as saying there is no evidence to support the hypothesis that rocky planets don't supernova. Or that the earth won't expand into a red giant.

The evidence is that Fe is produced in stars more massive than our one, it's a product of fusion - planets aren't collapsed clouds of hydrogen sustained by internal H->He fusion.

11. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

And I answered it, although apparently you lack the reading comprehension to understand what I said.

First off, this question represents a strawman argument - it's not based in any argument that i've made, at not time have I stated or implied that I don't think that the sun participates in nucleosynthesis. In fact, quite the opposite is implied in my references to the Proton-Proton chain (a form of nucleosynthesis) and the CNO-cycle (another form of nucleosynthesis).

So apparently, you either lack the basic reading comprehension skills, or you lack the basic understanding of stellar nucleosythesis to understand that the answer implied in my response is:

"Yes, the sun engages in Nucleosynthesis, but not the nucleosynthesis of Iron, which is what is actually being discussed."

Wrong.

There is evidence to support the hypothesis that it doesn't.
    According to Stan Woosley and Thomas Janka, in a paper accepted for publication in Nature in 2005, the silicon burning process - the process which directly gives rise to Iron, lasts for 18 days, requires temperatures of 3.3 billion kelvins, and densities of 4.8x10^7 g/cm^3, which requires masses in excess of 8 solar masses.

To put this in perspective (not that this has ever helped before) the sun has a density of 0.015x10^7 g/cm^3, and a temperature of 0.0157 Billion Kelvins at its core.

The Earth has a core density of 0.00000128x10^7 g/cm^3, and a temperature of 0.0000007 Billion Kelvins.

So neither the sun, nor the earth, has the conditions neccessary to initiate the fusion of lighter elements to Iron.

12. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Rocky planets might not in and of themselves but if they accrete enough mass they could.

What evidence?

And your point is?

13. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

I never suggested there was fusion in the Earth. I suggested there was fission in the Earth. You are a master of straw men arguments.

14. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

You're suggesting that EMST is wrong then?

"Up to now about two thirds of the original number of hydrogen nuclei have been transformed, in two phases (4 000-200 and 200-0 m.y. ago), into crust and mantle bulk matter, while the rest remains to be transformed." - EMST (from one of your own sources)

"They then fuse with other 2H nuclei to produce 4He and other larger nuclei. For every 4 nucleons that combine to form a helium nucleus, 2 protons are recycled (Fishbane et.al. I993). Fusioning will reduce to zero as 2H units and electrons are exhausted. " -EMST (from one of your own sources)

I thought you said you understood EMST?

Yeesh, and you have the nerve to accuse me of using a strawman argument?

BZZZZT.

Wrong again.

You didn't say "I am convinced that EMST is the truth, except where it talks about fusion."

You stated "I am convinced EMST is the truth."
    Period.
    No Qualifiers.

If you accept EMST as the truth, without any qualifiers, then you accept the (wrong) hypothesis that fusion occurs in the core of the earth.

15. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Here is my quote.

You deliberately chose to ignore the fission part. How convenient.

16. Vkothii Banned Banned

That would be the Earth's nuclear core?
    The implication being, the mantle and lithosphere are free of iron?
    Right, so all we need is a model for the production of Fe from fission of something else?

Care to fill in the blanks?

17. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

If iron isn't coming from the core/mantle then how come the iron-rich rocks, like basalt and gabbro, are on the bottom and the iron-poor rocks, like granites, are on the top, when it is well known that the iron-rich rocks were the last to form?

You've made no effort to fill in the blanks and I'm trying to fill in the blanks for myself.

18. Vkothii Banned Banned

And OilIsMastery has no intention of trying to explain how iron is produced via fission, in the core. Fission of what?

19. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Uranium...:crazy:

20. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Once again, you're lying.

The implication is clear.
    You accept EMST as an unquestionable truth.
    You consider that EMST is responsible for what you consider the illusion of plate tectonics.
    If you accept EMST as an unquestionable truth, then you also accept its hypotheses as an unquestionable truth - including the Hypothesis, from your own source, that the Iron is produced by Fusion.

The implication here is quite clear.
    Stellar nucleosynthesis is powered by fusion (until the star goes asplodey).
    Here you are clearly comparing the process under discussion within the earth, to that within the sun.

Therefore, it is quite clearly implied that we are discussing fusion, not fission.

Once again, one is forced to ask the question.

Are you suggesting that EMST is incorrect in it's hypothesis that fusion occurs within the earth.

21. Trippy ALEA IACTA EST Staff Member

Bzzzt.

Uranium, and other transuranic elements decay to Lead-208 which is stable.

The decay of Transuranic elements does not produce Iron directly.

In fact, my recollection is that Iron doesn't even register in the list of daughter elements produced by fission.

22. OilIsMastery Banned Banned

Last edited: Oct 3, 2008
  23. Vkothii Banned Banned

Now he's pretending to be dyslexic.

OilIsMastery: your answer "Uranium" is the wrong answer. Now what are you going to do?
    How is iron produced in the earth's core, via fission? Fission of what?