The Ever-Expanding Universe

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by piffi, Jun 26, 2001.

1. piffi Nixed Price Rack Registered Senior Member

Hey All!

Did anyone here read the article in the NYT about the new cosmological model we came up with? Just wondering because I thought that was pretty ground breaking. It sure debunks the 'turtle on turtle' theory. Anyway, thanks.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

You mean the new theory that the universe will expand forever because we find out the expanding is accelerating???

well then I've read about it, and you should at another thread in Astronomy, exobiology & cosmology....."scientists wonder why universes growing is speeding up"

if it isn't I would like to hear more about it!!!
    I'll wait and see..........

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Crash84 Registered Member

There is a downside of the universe keeps expanding. All of the other star systems would continue to move farther apart from us, which would make it even harder, and take even longer to explore the universe. This is very discouraging, but I guess it's better that the universe is expanding, rather than retracting....who knows what would happen if it retracted. Would we be sucked into a spacial anamoly? Crushed by the force of the retracting universe? It's definately something to think about...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. KneD Le Penseur Registered Senior Member

The expanding... is that only between starsystems?
    Or between stars too?
    And between starsystem-clusters? (what's the name for that??)

In fact it isn't between planets and their sun/star...
    Anyone..???

8. Crisp Gone 4ever Registered Senior Member

Expansion is everywhere

Hi KneD,

The universe expands everywhere, but attractive forces (gravity) prevent us from seeing the effect at your home/on earth/in the solar system/in our galaxy. The only effect we can see is that the "empty space" between galaxies takes up more volume (giving the impression of galaxies receeding).

Bye!

Crisp

9. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Wondering

Is it the attractive forces (gravity), or that the expansion in our immediate time/space is so infinitesimal that we are unable to measure it?