The Essentials of Islam

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Cris, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

I don't think this actually distinguishes Islam from Judaism. A rabbi is not a holy man, merely a learned person who knows the scriptures and is chosen by the congregation. The essence of a rabbi is to be a teacher, not a priest.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

Thanks I'm not very familiar with the structure of Judaism.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Yazan the truth is always hidden. Registered Senior Member

“Islam Empire of faith” is a very good movie show to see. Short and from educated bias sources (Americans). It was very difficult to cover such a long period but I guess it was fair enough. Watch it, it is really a good one.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

8. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

The 12 minute short movie, "Submission" release in Holland prompted the brutal murder of its director, Theo van Gogh by a local Muslim. The movie depicts beatings of Muslim women from their 'peace loving' husbands. The movie itself was written by a Muslim women, Hirsi Ali, who quotes:

"If you're a Muslim woman and you read the Koran, and you read in there that you should be raped if you say 'no' to your husband, that is offensive. And that is insulting."

9. Gustav Banned Banned

10. John99 Banned Banned

Over the weekend I had the pleasure of attending an Arab wedding at my country club, this is significant as it had been my third Muslim wedding.

American's are very peacufull but I am allways amazed how well everyone get's along/

11. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

The five pillars of Islam:

1. Shahadah, the Testimony of Faith

The shahadah is the Islamic creed. It means "to testify" or "to bear witness" in Arabic. The shahadah is the Muslim declaration of belief in the oneness of God and in Muhammad as his final prophet. Recitation of the shahadah is considered one of the Five Pillars of Islam by Sunni Muslims.

2. Salāt, prayer

Prayer is a requirement upon Muslims five times a day. These five prayers are called Fard or obligatory prayers. The time for these prayers are during set times in the day.

Fajr (Approximately an hour and a half before sunrise) Dhuhr (Just after high noon) Asr (Mid afternoon) Maghrib (Just after sunset) Isha'a (Approximately an hour and a half after sunset)

Before prayer can be preformed, the person must be ritually clean. This cleaning is called Wudu. It must be done if the person has gone to the bathroom, passed gas, vomited, or bled. A more thorough, full-body ablution (ghusl) is required after sexual contact, and is recommended before Friday prayers (Jummu'a)

The salat must be performed in the Arabic language, the language of the Qur'an. During prayer, the person prostrates and kneels in the direction of the Ka‘bah in Mecca. The session ends with looking right and left to say "As-salaamu 'alaykum", or peace be unto you.

3. Siyam, fasting on Ramadan

Observance of the sawm (fasting), or siyam, involves abstinence from eating, drinking, smoking, sexual intercourse, unruly thoughts, and other forms of worldly pleasure. This fasting is ordained in the Qur'an, and is observed by devout Muslims throughout the daylight hours of the 29 or 30 days of the lunar month of Ramadan. There are some exceptions, for example for children, pregnant women and sick Muslims. Children do not have to fast until puberty. In addition, women on their menstrual cycle do not have to fast either.

As well as fasting, Muslims spend more time praying during this period. Sawm is intended to teaammad to be his Prophet.

4. Zakāt, the paying of alms

Zakat means both purification and growth. Each Muslim calculates his or her own. It is some sort of tax.

Zakāt is 2.5% of a Muslim's net worth or value of their holdings, not just his/her earnings.

5. Hajj, the pilgrimage to Mecca

Anyone who is Muslim can perform the hajj, regardless of where they are from. Muslims must perform this pilgrimage at least once in their lifetime if affordable.

During the Hajj the Muslims recall what happened to important people in their history. Muslim and Western researches trace these traditions to Muhammads own performance of the Hajj. It is a way for Muslims to commemorate Muslims actions.

Source

12. Redefine91 I piss excellence Registered Senior Member

Islam reconizes Christ as a prophet, just not as the messiah correct?

13. John99 Banned Banned

14. KennyJC Registered Senior Member

What does Islam say about non-believers?

15. S.A.M. uniquely dreadful Valued Senior Member

The disbelievers:

http://www.jamiat.org.za/kids/suras/surah_al_kafiroon.html

Other verses about disbelievers:

16. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

See what has happened to nations where Islam has become a dominant force, no freedom of religion, those who leave Islam are killed, they have pathetic economies, their women are treated like dogs, on and on, there is no freedom in Islam, just bowing to the whims of its leaders, based upon what the Koran says, look and see what such has caused.

17. muhammad www.islamway.com Registered Senior Member

here is a great trusted resource to read the translation of the meaning of QURAAN :

www.islamway.com

i wanna say that not all links people mentioned in this thread are trusted resources for islam , so take care people plz ... islam has so many enemies all over the world fighting islam

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

and please refer to my thread here .... its very important :

http://www.sciforums.com/showthread.php?t=44145

18. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

"Islam has so many enemies all over the world fighting Islam."

19. Fraggle Rocker Staff Member

You can say exactly the same thing about Christianity up until the Enlightenment. Islam was founded about 600 years later than Christianity. It has been said that Islam has been tracking the evolution of Christianity very closely, just half a millennium behind it. Perhaps you will live to see the Islamic Enlightenment.

20. IceAgeCivilizations Banned Banned

The Roman Catholic church did not let the people read the Bible, the Muslim clerics encouraged their people to read the Koran, big difference.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

"Islam" means "peace".

22. Sepulchrave Registered Senior Member

"Islam" means submission.

23. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

True, but Islam is derived from an Arabic rootword carrying a meaning of peace.

The question is how do Muslims define 'peace' and how do they keep it? Historically, by not submitting to Allah, there can be no peace.