The Essence of Mind

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Aug 11, 2006.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Comparison. That's the essence of the mind.

Whenever we think or perceive something, we are making comparisons. When we look at an apple, we identify it as an apple because we compare it with everything surrounding the apple. When we look at an apple and an orange, we are comparing and contrasting them in order to determine what is an "apple" and an "orange". When we analize cause and effect, we are comparing something in terms of time- what it was before and what it is now.

All logic comes down to comparison. From comparisons come all the logical subjects such as epistemology, semantics, etc.

So why don't we use a logic system based specifically on comparison?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tnerb Banned Banned

"So why don't we use a logic system based specifically on comparison."

You're talking to a dumbass, truthseeker.
    But, I can tell you that the majority of dumbasses, so to speak, have sence.

You, are master of no nonsence. Funny that.

You are asking a question that is already known.
    All logic doesn't come to comparison.
    I believe you need to re-think before you post.

Just my opinion.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. art_dex Registered Member

Code:
        "Comparison. That's the essence of the mind........
       .....................................When we look at an apple,......."

You said , "When we look at an apple ,we identify it as an apple" . this is
    perfectely true for a person having a normal vision. but it is not applicable
    to a person who is blind since his/her birth. He doesn't know what shape
    apple has ?and neither of orange .

So how can he compare between apple and orange ?

well answer is simple ,
    Though he doesn't have his eye sight he can use his other sensory
    organs and he will find differences between them.
    i.e [Shape by touch ]
    [ Smell by nose ]

So your statement "Comparison. That's the essence of the mind "
    remains true even for blind,deaf, physically challenged person and even
    animals too .

But when he finds some new information which is completely differ-
    ent from his previous knowledge , he still tries to compare it with his old
    information and if he doesn't find anything comparable then he will store
    that information as a new knowledge and he will use his new knowledge for
    further comparison.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

art_dex,

Yes. When I spoke about the apple, my point was the comparison specifically. I'm aware that a blind person would also use comparison.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Prove.

9. Tnerb Banned Banned

All I am saying is your points are very slippery. They are not logical.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

A...ha.....

How about an argument, logic king?

11. Tnerb Banned Banned

I suppose your points make sence, but you can't have everything steming from just a comparison. Everything as in, what is logic? Do you know?

12. ghostelephant Registered Member

Comparison is the first step of a mind percieving the external world. Not the essense of the mind in my opinion. Internal thinking, or meditation on the inner working of the body, mind, and soul is not based on comparison. It cannot be compared to anything fleeting, material, or uneternal. The essense of the mind is god, is eternity and cannot correctly be compared to anything else. The deepest external thinking brings internal thinking to the external world and tries to understand the god, the miracle within everything and everyone. I guess you could call that comparing the material to the unchanging... if so then we are really saying the same thing.

btw... my first post!

love, y'all

13. Ogmios Must. learn. to. punctuate! Registered Senior Member

"blaablaablaa god is great" yeah, that sums it up nicely.

Anyway Truthseeker, your theory is kinda vague. Or rather, you propably used comparative logic on it and jumped some points. A=B would be this. Since there's no absolutes, ~a=~b. But a+b=c requires something else. Whoops. Comporative is essential but not THE essence.

So the answer: Cause we really like learning new things.

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

When you say "a+b=c", you are analizing the relationship between the variables by comparing them. It's impossible to say "a+b=c" without comparing those variables!

15. Satyr Banned Banned

Comparison is the essence of value judgments.

16. c7ityi_ Registered Senior Member

Information is impossible without separation.

17. Ogmios Must. learn. to. punctuate! Registered Senior Member

truthseeker, "It's impossible to say "a+b=c" without comparing those variables!"
    yes but "a+b=c requires something else".
    That is to say, yes, you have to compare them, but you would have also have to do something else. Comparison is the hammer, you still need the chisel. How does "+" reduce into comparison?

Also, you could just guess what 25*7+1058 is (randomly generating patterns until you figure out the one that compares), or you could logically figure it out. You need comparison to confirm the answer, but something else to get there.

18. Jonny5 "oky dokey" Registered Senior Member

One may perhaps state reactivity is the essence of the mind. Before a comparative milieu can even be premeditated, the mind reacts to whatever stimulus it’s associated with. Therefore, one’s mind reacts to something, let’s say, the cooing of a pigeon. Once the mind, has reacted, neurologically transmitted messages are sent throughout the entire body, creating emotion, from which logic is primed. The mind truthfully proclaims, “That is the sound of a pigeon.” Subsequently, when one hears the cooing of the pigeon in reiteration, it is the substantiated reverberation of a pigeon. After this progression is industrious, comparison is implemented. A dove is heard, the mind is in the throes of reactivity, in replication the sound the dove emits is compared to that of the sound the pigeon produces.

It gets to the degree, one hears a pigeon, and needs not compare it to anything anymore. One might say, at an extreme rate anyways, one might still hear a pigeon, yet ignore it, and thus the sound of the cooing would become backdrop prattle. E.G. the sounds of the dove and pigeon would have already become discernable. The mastery of the minds reactivity is ostensibly perfunctory; a procession of reactivity for each modulated sound heard. If one is hearing many sounds, they are inductive of comparison, yet this equation is only formulated after the mind reacts and determines each distinguishable resonance. Comparison requires thinking, and thought is certainly not the essence of the mind.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2006
  19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

I already explained that...

20. Propinquity Registered Member

Comparison is relative.

Unless you are comparing specific numbers and values, two people will never come to the same conclusion based on comparison alone. It is illogical to attempt to find a rational and real answer to a question when the essense of the sum is based on personal interpretation. And comparisons (as opposed to real facts and figures) are relative to the person who is comparing them.

Your logic on this is flawed, and still doesn't explain who adding two things is the same as comparing two things. Comparison has no place in logic, as it places subjective value on the weight of two items using one human mind.

21. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Exactly.

I've been perusing this interesting thread for some time, while wondering when it's going to get on topic.
    Comparison, if anything, is the essence of discrimination. Certainly not of Mind.

The 'essence' (if one is going to move in that ontological direction....) of Mind is Intention.

22. Tnerb Banned Banned

Intention is sort of broad for the existential realm of mind.

23. glaucon tending tangentially Registered Senior Member

Exactly....

Given that it appears to be the case that what's of interest here is the mind (capital M mind...), the last thing we need to do is go on an existentialist trip...