The Essence of God

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Huh? Am I seriously suggesting??? You sound all miffed and tussled. Nihilism is also, and especially, transient—not necessarily steadfast nor obligatorily unresolvable. Nor is it necessarily bad. But for some, it becomes like a black hole. Same with existentialism—nothing needs to be a permanent fix, unless you plan to make a reputation out of it, right?

N:

"Nihilism," an ideal of the highest degree of powerfulness of the spirit, the over-richest life—partly destructive, partly ironic.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. lightgigantic Banned Banned

the living entity gets the same quality of peace when they understand that the only thing they need is god - that is the essence of the living entity

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

Nihilists look at the death of God and conclude that, without any perfect source of absolute, universal, and transcendent values, then there can be no real values at all. Nietzsche, however, argues that the lack of such absolute values does not imply the absence of any values at all.

On the contrary, by freeing himself from the chains tying him to a single perspective normally attributed to God, Nietzsche is able to give a fair hearing to the values of many different and even mutually exclusive perspectives. In so doing, he can conclude that these values are "true" and appropriate to those perspectives, even if they may be inappropriate and invalid to other perspectives. Indeed, the great "sin" of both Christian values and Enlightenment values is, at least for Nietzsche, the attempt to pretend that they are universal and absolute rather than situated in some particular set of historical and philosophical circumstances.

Just because he wrote about nihilism and took it seriously, does not make him one. In fact he strove to advocate an alternative to nihilisms void, it's ending of emptiness.

Yes i'm miffed, you are like a revisionist historian of this philosopher.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. nietzschefan Thread Killer Valued Senior Member

"I praise, I do not reproach, [nihilism's] arrival. I believe it is one of the greatest crises, a moment of the deepest self-reflection of humanity. Whether man recovers from it, whether he becomes master of this crisis, is a question of his strength." (Complete Works Vol. 13)

Look i'm just saying there is an important difference in writing ABOUT nihilism and ADVOCATING IT.

He is so often mistakenly associated with it because he truely recognized it and the damage it would cause. He even suggested a few ways around it. Even today we have it seems a resurgence of fundamentalist christianity because of the absolute FEAR of nihilism. People do not even want to confront it and it can be conquered.

8. everneo Re-searcher Registered Senior Member

In a lunatic asylum a sane visitor is the dull guy.

9. Ripley Valued Senior Member

Viewing from whose perspective? the dull or the insane? Probably the dull.

My dear, I very rarely quote anybody but when I do, it matters to me.

Ah, the subtleties you can not perceive!

But that's the norm with the dull.

10. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

Oh, but it was implicit. You posit God as peace, which implies to most readers that peace is fundamental and the good. A common judgement made by a lot of religions and brought horribly to light in the New Age

Whether honestly stated or not, more tumultuous states, more passionate emotions, more dynamic expression are seen as less godly and holy.

I'd be happy to find out you think otherwise. But then, why say God is Peace. It is extremely misleading.

11. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

You clearly haven't been to an insane asylum and simply have an image generated by TV or films.

People called Schizophrenics are often cut off from their emotions.
    Let alone catatonics.
    Most people labelled crazy are not dynamic and passionate but are extremely depressed or cut off (in a variety of ways).

12. Grantywanty Registered Senior Member

God is not (simply) absolute peace. (as long as we are tossing around wild generalities with hidden judgements of who we should be, I'll join in)
    God is passionate, tempestuous, wild and the kind of visitor to an insane asylum that would be kept out by guards, nurses and psychiatrists precisely because of the life force in such a visitor.

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

So you think there's no passion in peace?

Then what's the difference between peace and apathy?

14. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Since you're so good at making up stuff about other made up stuff, tell us whether unicorns are more like horses or zebras?

15. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

They are more like zebras. Zebras walk more elegantly then horses...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

16. paulfr Registered Senior Member

Fear and Desire

You are almost there.
    It is the absence of fears and desires that results in peace of mind.
    This was understood by Aristotle and the great Eastern religions.

Note everyone has needs. It is excessive or imagined needs that become desires. And desires create fears just as fears create desires. It is a viscous cirlce. What you want is to get in to virtuous circles not viscous ones.

17. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Needs emcompass both necessities and desires. Fears spring from conflicts against those, which, therefore, includes fear.

The reason why I include necessities is because they simply cause conflict. For instance, if a poor person is hungry, that person may steal or even kill for food- see how conflict arises from a need? Unfortunately, needs are not as easily manageable as desires, as needs cannot be erased.

True.

18. Ripley Valued Senior Member

I beg to differ.

The innocent nature of an explicit desire emanates from an exact angle or region of the human mien: from a specific perspective that distinguishes itself. How else do we arrive at feeling for our longings? That very specific perspective will inject a very accurate stimuli for itself, thank you very much—mustn't be any mistaken about it; mustn't shoot blindly.

So what just happened? The desire has been recognized and evaluated, steps aside in accordance with process, makes way for its altered state: a goal. Henceforth we become distracted with computation and method in order to find a solution for our goal.

However, it's a jungle and a maze out there. Lol. If we experience any particular emotion accompanying this process for attaining an objective, the emotions are purely—again—innocent: just a means to adjust, to calibrate, to sense when we are near, far, or where ever the hell we are from our target. Any fears or "virtuous circles" are—again—innocent, and feedback and part and parcel to the game. So what's the big bloody deal about fear and company?

But peace, after attaining our goal in the end, will make way perhaps for peace of mind in conjunction with a job well done. An interim? a little celebration? a toast? a rest? but most definitely and importantly, a specific space from the experience will be born, and more, many more targets will be... desired. Higher and better ones. Thus we I evolve. I'd hate to be a static human being; who wants to be dull?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2007
  19. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Hello Chewing Gum,

My point with my first post was, precisely, that peace would arise from simply not caring whether you achieve your goals or not. That is not to say that there is no passion in that. On the contrary, you can have as much passion as you want. The differnece lies on your perspective towards your desires. You are aware that in the end, you will be dead anyways. What is much more significant is the journey towards the goal. And, as you said, we achieve our goals and go towards the next one. It's always a journey.

20. DiamondHearts Registered Senior Member

If you believe in God, the most important thing in life is to seek His pleasure in this life and strive hard in his path, only then can one live a life without the need to eat or sleep.

The life of this world is a test, like a traveler sitting down to rest, only to know that this life passes with a blink of an eye, whereas the real life is forever.

21. paulfr Registered Senior Member

Think Abraham Maslow's heirarchy of motivation.
    Need is at the bottom.
    Desires are all the unnecessary things that seem necessary but in reality are not.

Need itself does not create conflict.
    Your 'poor person' stole not because of needs, but because his needs were unmet for some reason; sloth, misguided attitude, bad luck, tyranny ....

22. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Have you also noted that physiological needs (the ones you refered as simply "needs") are the biggest one in the pyramid? Well, maybe they are the biggest one because all the others depend on it to exist (why would someone that is dying of starvation care about self-actualization

). Not only that, but they also have to be fulfilled with a lot more frequency then all the others.

23. cobwings Registered Member

truth in wat is said, needs explaining

wat mr seeker of truth was trying to explain to all you ignorant and close minded thinkers is that god is not a physical presence nor is he "a roomate of the universes", god is the universe. He is the ground at which your feet scrape against as you walk, and he is also your feet. The statement of no need does raise a good point but ive already been there and realised you only need for so long, then you are indifferent. BUT as humans we cant not need anything and remain indifferent for then wouldnt we be just as dead as those 6 feet under? the lack of need, is rewarded with a need
    your inner peace is found in understanding while you are indifferent that when your constantly positive for no reason but just to be happy, good things happen to you. Everyone wants to be happy, some ppl think they are happy but just blind themselves from a pain they cant bare to face.
    View life through heart shaped glasses, love and give your blessings to the whole world. The sensation you get after a slight giggle is wat true happiness is, selfless happiness is the key. Dont be happy just to be rewarded and dont blind yourself of information given. To all of those knocking truth seeker he is right he just didnt tell you fools the full story propably because you didnt deserve it. Think for yourselves and not for your government.
    -cobwings-