The end of space

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by Fil, Feb 11, 2001.

1. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Re: Space

Good point. Space away from the Earth is not empty either. It is full of minerals, gases, ice (water) etc etc. Even down to 1ppm is not "empty" - all through "space" there is "something" and space is also full of a power source which I cannot damn well remember the name of but it is tapable. Zero power? Negative power? Something like that.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. apolo Registered Senior Member

Having been absent for a couple weeks I read all the previous postings on this thread with interest. And I noticed the word infinnity as applied to time and volume of the universe has been discused a lot.
    I'm not religious, but I'm familiar with the bible, and I would like to quote part of a conversation that took place at our local astronomy
    club last week.

The large majority of members are atheists, some are church goers one is a muslim (all are educated people)
    One of the atheists put forward this propositon. "It should not be difficult for religious people to accept the concept of a universe infinite in time and size, because they all beleive that their god is infinite in time (he was never born he will never die) so is it not logical to asume that our universe existed eternaly along with this higher power ?" A long silence, Then one church goer said "this gives me something to think about".

I know we dont discuss god pro or con,on this forum, but I think the above quote is neutral, so I hope it will pas the censor. And it might give someone something to think about.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. bigjnorman Registered Senior Member

well, I am an atheist raised in a strict christian home. Here is the problem:

The bible says to accept God's existance based solely on "faith".

The bible also says that God created the universe in 7 days...."let there be light" ect...

So, if God exists, then the universe was created in 7 days, and it would be illogical to consider that the universe is not time dependant because if you believe God exists on "faith" alone, why would you not believe he created the universe in 7 days by the same faith.

Of course, believing the god exists on faith alone is illogical to me so the whole concept is not worth a shit if you ask me

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Canute Registered Senior Member

Small but oft forgot point. The Bible, as you say, suggests that we should accept the existence of God on faith. However it does not suggest the same for the idea that the world was created in seven days. Other people may say that this should be taken on faith, but not the Bible.

8. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

The concept of 7 days to you all is:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Sunday.

Now, assuming that this christian god is real for arguements sake, what is a period of time to him/her/it? A person who lives "forever" has no concept of time as we do.

He/she/it decides "I'm gonna build me a planet" and "put people on it"

why?

"So they can worship me"

why?

"Sod it, why should I bother?"

Sorry people, the universe and all its occupants came about by natural selective processes, not by any divine requirements.

9. Canute Registered Senior Member

Ranting is not helpful.

10. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

Who? I am not ranting, just making a point thats all

11. Canute Registered Senior Member

Ok. But some supporting argument would have helped to make that clear.

12. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

It was just an opinion, as are 90% of posts. The measurement of time is man made, divided into segments, but time is one thing, it just goes on and on and.....

13. Pete It's not rocket surgery Registered Senior Member

Days are not man-made.

14. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

but the measurement is. 24 hours etc etc.

15. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

somewhere in the bible is says that god is the beginning and the end, infinite, he was there before anything existed....just like space....

16. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

god made an old earth.

17. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

what was it that started the whole big bang? light, energy.
    the bible states that god is light, and not the type of light as in a light that guides you.

18. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

every single time someone tried proving the bible wrong, or finding some kind of error in the bible, years later that part of the bibl;e was proven correct. in the early 1900s someone found that the bible talks about the hittites. " who the hell are the hittites? there is no such civilization as the hittites, and there never was!"

in (i think)1906, they found scrolls and more evidence that talked about the hittites that was not bible related.

and i'm sorry if i spelled hittites wrong...

19. Beercules Registered Senior Member

Wow, cosmologists would be shocked to know that light caused the big bang.

20. Red Devil Born Again Athiest Registered Senior Member

overthestars: do you have a problemn constructing more than one sentence at at time or are you number crunching?

21. bigjnorman Registered Senior Member

oh jesus!

I've been wrong all this time.

so those people really existed?

AND THE BIBLE TALKS ABOUT THEM TOO!

I am sold.

22. OverTheStars Registered Senior Member

i'm trying to get my post number higher like everyone else......i only have 9, other people have 900...that's why..

23. Canute Registered Senior Member

Do you really thing it's a competition, everybody busily firing off posts trying to get in front, and caring? I hadn't thought of that. Hell, you might even be right.