The Dutch are utterly mad!

Discussion in 'Free Thoughts' started by Dywyddyr, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Not my photo: the zoom, especially on moving targets, is rubbish on my camera:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Yes, they were that close, for the length of the runway and yes they really are that colour.

uke:

But, even more deranged, they then proceeded to roll and loop the damn helicopter, at altitudes of around 200 feet. Ever seen a helicopter (something designed from the outset to fly with its rotors in the horizontal plane - after all that's what makes sure it stays in the air) hang vertically before going into a dive from ~200 feet?

At RIAT yesterday I saw my first F-22 Raptor (impressive, incredibly noisy and highly visible), a genuine Messerschmitt Bf 109

(as opposed to a post-war Spanish "incorrectly"-engined (Merlin) variant) flying, a dozen or so Spitfires and Hurricanes and the Airbus A400M military transport. Yet the absolute highlight was this pair of total nutters defying gravity, physics and a sense of self-preservation to put on the best display I've seen in years.

Mad Dutchmen, I salute you.

But I'm glad I stayed my side of the fence, just in case...

2. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Awesome, isn't it?

Incredible picture (the 1st one), by the way. Where did you get it from?

Edit: Talk about being utterly mad.. Aussie Squirrels

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  4. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Kernl Sandrs Registered Senior Member

I was watching the Military Channel, they were doing a thing on helicopters and there was this one that did a loop. I tried looking for it on them interwebs, and I thought I found it, but that's not it. It looked like it, though. But that clip didn't have any loops...Disappointing...

6. Guest Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I just Googled for ""Dutch display" RIAT 2010" and that was the first pic to come up.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/davecgray/4806583400/

Seriously, awful colour scheme notwithstanding, it was the highlight of the flying display for me.
    If I get the photos that my friends took (their cameras were considerably better - also more expensive - than mine I'll post them.

@ Kernl Sanders, I knew the Lynx could loop, and I've seen them do a "standing back flip", i.e. an on-the-spot loop from a static start.
    But that video... "Armament two 20mm cannon" while showing an FN TMP pod with 2 7.62mm machine guns...

I think that some nutter has also rolled/ looped a CH-53. That would have been something to watch!

8. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Ah thanks

I kind of like the orange/black colors.. must be because I'm Dutch

Admittedly, they could have kept off the lion. But what are you gonna do against Dutch pride lol

Last edited: Jul 19, 2010
  9. Anti-Flag Pun intended Registered Senior Member

Pretty cool considering the wake turbulence.
    Prefer the 109 though. Nice Hurricane behind it too.

10. soullust Registered Senior Member

Maybe thats why I am so retarded, my heritage is Native American, Irish, Scottish and dutch..

God what a good combination

11. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Now that's the perk of being classed a "Neutral" country, you can paint your damn aircraft any colours you like. I would hazard a guess though the colour was picked because of William of Orange, but feel free to correct.

Nowadays there are so many computers in aircraft with various distance sensors, you could probably suggest they could have got closer.

12. Enmos Valued Senior Member

I think so, orange is our national color after all.
    And the lion is a national symbol from our Coat of Arms.

Both the color orange and the lion are heavily used at soccer games to support our national team, by the way. I may well be wrong, but perhaps the color-scheme of the F16's has something to do with the World-cup as well.

Anyway, I think the F16 would look positively awesome if they would loose the lion.

Perhaps, but I'll leave that question for the aircraft fanatics around here

13. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Nah, it's a paint job done especially for the display season. When that's over the Viper will more than likely go back to being boring military grey again.
    Take a look at a typical Tiger Meet (aircraft squadrons from around the world that have Tigers in their official squadron badges) - some of those are awesome (and, unfortunately, only temporary).

14. Enmos Valued Senior Member

The F16's will keep the new colors in the coming years though..
    Link (in Dutch)

15. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

They maybe could have, but (apart from, as Anti-Flag stated, rotor turbulence) there's also the Health and Safety jobsworth's sticking their nose in.
    All aircraft have to have their display approved and checked for safety, including maximum approach (to each other and the crowd) maximum speeds, minimum speeds, minimum altitudes etc...
    There was huge row at RIAT a few years ago when a foreign pilot (Czech or Polish I think) let off chaff and flares as part of his display: he'd asked for, and been denied, approval (because of the high-temperature flares and the proximity of the crowd), and had somehow smuggled a set of flares past the armourers and fitted them before take-off. My mate (engineering support, "twilighting" as an armourer), was on the carpet with his team mates for that!
    Normally his excitement at airshows consists of mopping up fuel leaks (at 2 AM) and finding the American PX for cheap booze and burgers.

16. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Hmm, I don't read Dutch.
    What does "F-16 Solo Display Team" mean in English?

17. Enmos Valued Senior Member

Hmm ok, sorry

It' says: "De komende jaren behoudt het toestel deze print," which means "The coming years the aircraft will keep this print."
    Admittedly, they speak of "the aircraft" in singular, so maybe it's just the one.

18. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I was being facetious...
    Just surprised that "Display Team" was in English.

I got the general gist. Dutch is near enough to a proper language

for me to understand the basics.

Good milk and good cheese is good English and good Fries.

19. Enmos Valued Senior Member

A lot here is in English, especially things that are for international use (obviously).
    English is almost becoming a second national language here..

20. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

Pfft, you're talking to an Englishman who can pronounce Scheveningen properly!

21. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Well I mentioned William of Orange, Who ruled England as William III. Really us English should have Dutch as a language we should compulsorily speak, rather than the implied "Double Dutch", which isn't Dutch at all.

22. Dywyddyr Penguinaciously duckalicious. Valued Senior Member

I lived in Hull for 20 years. I got fed of seeing this -

"King Billy", as he was known locally, and more than a couple of pubs in the area also named that.

23. Stryder Keeper of "good" ideas. Valued Senior Member

Dywyddyr
    Did you get to see the Laser being fired?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-10682693

Personally I'd be really apprehensive about implementation, it's bad enough having a fire on-board and having to eject, let alone being cooked to death by a 'death ray'. What would be rather amusing though is finding out how Mirror's can be installed on the craft to fire the shot that you are shooting at them back at you.