The Death of Western Art

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Hagar, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Hagar Registered Senior Member

I saw Beethoven's Fourth and Ninth at the symphony and broke down in tears.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

All of his symphonies are amazing. The fourth would be my preference of those two, but with a full orchestra, any of them would floor me. Where'd you see 'em?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Hagar Registered Senior Member

The Milwaukee Symphony Orchestra in Wisconsin. It was during Germanfest, so there was a week-long Beethoven marathon going on. I also saw Stravinsky's Rite of Spring there, although his work is a little bizarre. There really is nothing more incredible than seeing a room break out into full opera during the 9th's Finale.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Perhaps Ryden is depicting the strange and distorted realms of the unconcious, rather than some ho-hum greek ideals of perfection.

8. Hagar Registered Senior Member

What about the unconscious? You can't even realize what it means to be unconscious, since you...well, your not conscious. It is not beautiful, it is trivial. What message or moral can the unconscious dictate to someone?

Greek ideals seem logical to me because perfection is something worth striving for, not the dysgenic.

9. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

It is beautiful, and I don't think altered states of perception are trivial at all. Even the Greeks participated in the eleusian mysteries which involved ingesting a psychoactive substance similar to LSD. Striving for perfection will always leave you wanting, since such a thing does not exist. Connection with the mysterious and fantastic worlds available to one under an altered state is how religion was practiced for tens of thousands of years. I don't know really what Ryden's thoughts are on the matter, but I connect with these images in a way that leave renaissance painting rather flat and uninteresting. The difference could be that the substances that allow one access to these states are now more common than ever. We are returning, like it or not, to our pagan roots. At least the Greeks were more interesting than their European copycats.

10. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

What about their Indic ancestors?

11. Hagar Registered Senior Member

I'm confused. Could you elaborate?