The Death of Western Art

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by Hagar, Sep 10, 2005.

1. Ericc Registered Senior Member

Good post, however I do find a lot of abstract art very good to look at, not all of it relects society, a lot relects nature and elements and although man is having a big negative effect on it, nature is still very good looking and results in fantastic Art.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

1- I don't go to art exhibitions. I don't care that much about it.
    2- Just saying "I don't like it" does not come close to expressing how much I hate and despise abstract art.

3- Things such as this:
    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0e/Napoleon4.jpg
    Or such types of Realistic Art.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Abstract art is so post-modern, we are past that already. It was inspired by a faith in technology and science. Check out http://www.juxtapoz.com/ a magazine for the latest trends on the cutting edge. That art tends to resemble Hieronymus Bosch in surreal complexity. No coincindence either, europe's black plague resembles the converging catastrophies of our times.

Mice infected with plague go missing

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ericc Registered Senior Member

Tell you what forget it, your correct because how the hell you can say you don't like what you don't go and see or have an interest in, is beyond me in the first place.

As to your idea of realistic Art its about as out of date as Nopoleon himself, these type of paintings where completed before the age of photography and as such were the only way for someone like himself to spread his image around the world. If its this kind of Art you like you should look to the many top photographers around.

Art not using photograhic methods however has moved on and uses all kinds of media to reflect our world, in a method that make use of (colour, light and form) to open the mind some what more than just a simple copy of what you are looking at.

As I say if your brain can only get your mind around a full copy of the real world down to the last detail and you expect all artists to only produce work like this, we would all forget paint and brush and take up a camera. However skilled some photographers are, I do not think it is using an open and expanded mind to create a work of Art.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2005
  8. Hapsburg Hellenistic polytheist Valued Senior Member

Ah. You forget that my mentality is stuck in 1890, though that was over 100 years ago.
    I'm old-fashioned, I know, but I don't care.

9. Ericc Registered Senior Member

You know what, thats OK it is!

Just don't expect myself of others to produce art as if it was 1890, otherwise call it shit.

I also love Historic Art, but just cannot see any point in trying to produce it in todays world. It would be like trying to re-invent the wheel, the question would be why?

10. Hagar Registered Senior Member

Nihilism.

Yes, ideals are retarded. Why even bother having a civilization, or a set or rules or morals? After all, our society OBVIOUSLY wasn't built on ideals, it came out of thin air, after thousands of years of nothing, and we should continue to deny the importance of everything, even medical advances, because we'll die anyway.

Yes, you're right. All of those artists that represented great ideals were just self-deluded and ignorant, and they were too afraid to show the "true world", where self-pity, egalitarianism, and misery rules everything. They should have been depressed ALL the time to reflect the absolute HORROR of living in a first world country with all of the world's resources at their fingertips. They should have created wooden and glass sculptures to represent the vile poverty of welfare recepients or the alienation of cubicle workers.

Who wants to think? Who wants to make the hard decisions in life? Everyone wants an easy, prefabricated existence with easy answers, nobody wants to be told that some people are just better than others, that some works of art are just better than others. They want dark humor and pointless violence because it sublimates their primal urges to destroy. They have to destroy because they can't think of anything creative. At bottom this is what you are saying to me. I should hate myself for being so "backwards" and "old fashioned", for being a eurocentric snob.

Unfortunately, I'm a bit more clever than that. I grew up on the same acultural filth and listened to the same hopeless propaganda my whole life and believed it all. After a while I just joined the military to consciously instill discipline in myself and go on great adventures away from common decadence. I took time to reading and found my place in ancient, eternal values in opposition to the temporary and pointless.

11. Hagar Registered Senior Member

We seem to have something in common at least.

12. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

Snobbery.

13. panopticon707 Panopticon Registered Senior Member

This is where I stop reading this thread.

14. devils_reject Registered Senior Member

About time

15. Hagar Registered Senior Member

16. Hagar Registered Senior Member

17. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

Just what I said, art reflects the society in which we live, and ours is sick. Don't blame the messenger.

18. Hagar Registered Senior Member

When you put it that way, I have to agree. You are correct in that regard.

19. THC Registered Member

art, huh?
    the end of civilization seems like an important point of this thread. when you see entertainment & fashion as the pinnacle of art to the poular majority, that is because it is the fabric between human relationships. as "real" as it needs to get between two people.
    our society is plagued with beauty. it's everywhere. you can't look for beauty anymore. in the "darker ages", works of art/beauty were appreciated more. but we are well into the age of light. where everything you enjoy is showcased beatifully.
    just go looking for "works of art" and you'll find too many of them. and then it's like, "bleh."

20. Hagar Registered Senior Member

Your thoughts are a bit more insightful then others here, however you make an error in assuming this is a brighter age than ages past. The ancient cultures that produced high art, such as Greece, Rome, China, India, etc, were not dark at all, just less technologically advanced than today. Most high art was produced at the pinnacle of that civilization's progress, just as now we are the declining aftermath of western civilization.

21. android nothing human inside Registered Senior Member

Our society is full of something between beauty and ugliness: function. It's so boring we no longer have any things we truly care about, thus our art is crap.

I dare those who disagree to:

1. Name a piece of music as amazing as Beethoven's Seventh Symphony.
    2. Name a book as insightful as Heart of Darkness or The Great Gatsby.
    3. Find visual art that outdoes Michelangelo or da Vinci.

Nothing with the last thirty years comes close!

22. spidergoat pubic diorama Valued Senior Member

1. Name a piece of music as amazing as Beethoven's Seventh Symphony.

Far East Suite by Duke Ellington

2. Name a book as insightful as Heart of Darkness or The Great Gatsby.

"The Western Lands"
    William Burroughs

3. Find visual art that outdoes Michelangelo or da Vinci.

Anything by Mark Ryden

23. Hagar Registered Senior Member

You are on point, functionality has replaced purpose or simple aesthetic sensibility.

The painting is outstanding, but I must ponder the point of the subject matter and the reasoning behind the warped human proportions. Its seems pretty childish and faintly "goth". DaVinci is still tame in comparison to Asam or Bernini:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!