The death of "Modern Physics". Prepair it's funeral!

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by martillo, Aug 11, 2005.

1. fo3 acdcrocks Registered Senior Member

One of the twins must be affected by a force and be accelerated in order for the twins to be united again. During the acceleration, one of the twins is not in an inertial frame of reference, so you cannot freely choose between the frames.
    No contradiction.
    And if both of the twins experienced a equal acceleration then there would be no difference in their ages.
    Do some research on the so-called twins paradox and better yet, do some research on special relativity and how it can be used.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

What "RESULTS" are opposite?

I propose that you are simply confused about what the twin 'paradox' says, and that you're falling into that age-old trap of assuming symmetry where it isn't allowed.

Hint: One of the twins changes frames midway through his journey. The other one does not. Why do you think you're allowed to assume any sort of symmetry wrt. their proper time, given this?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

This isn't generally true. A comparatively short acceleration phase at the end of the travelling twins journey will not undo the time dilation effects of the long stays in different frames. There's nothing that says that bringing a clock from one frame A into another frame B will cause it to read the same as the B frame's clock.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. fo3 acdcrocks Registered Senior Member

If the twins accelerate in opposite directions with the exact same acceleration for the same amount of time, then fly on for some time and then encounter an acceleration in opposite direction so that they are headed back towards each other again with equal speeds, then they will be of the same age. Even after a long trip in space.

8. martillo Registered Senior Member

Well, hearing you it seems there's no paradox.
    Why it is called PARADOX in Physics' books then?

9. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

Oh, yes, I agree. But that's not the twin 'paradox', then.

10. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

It's called a paradox, because it goes against our usual conception of time. It's not a genuine paradox, because it is easily explainable.

11. UnderWhelmed Registered Senior Member

I agree he is just confused about alot of things.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

12. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Let me guess: you submitted this to peer-reviewed physics journals but it was quickly rejected, so you posted it on the internet and decided to try to hype it up in popular science forums?

13. Aer Registered Senior Member

Zanket has a new name you say?

14. fo3 acdcrocks Registered Senior Member

You heard about something called the twins paradox, and without even knowing anything about it, you concluded that SRT must be wrong and constructed a new and "better" theory? Wow.. Talk about quick decisions and theory constructing..

15. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

From my copy of The New Webster Dictionary of the English Language:

paradox, A tenet or proposition contrary to received opinion; a statement which seems to be at variance with common sense, or to contradict some previously ascertained truth, though when properly investigated it may be perfectly well founded.
    (Italics mine)

Example: The idea of a spherical Earth was once held to be a paradox, as it was contrary to the preceived notion of the time that 'down' was a universal direction.

16. martillo Registered Senior Member

Ok, I understand, but Q said never seen a paradox of Relativity Theory!

17. martillo Registered Senior Member

Anyway for me is not even a paradox but a CONTRADICTION. if we have two travelling twins then at any instant Relativity cannot determine which is getting younger or older because each one will see the other getting younger. This are opposite results reached changing only the point of view! For me the "age-old symetry" exists at every instant.
    Of course you disagree with this and will try to discuss with so many arguments I have already seen in so many without-end Relativity threads.

I will not discuss this.

I prefer to wait for the results of the experiment I suggested and that I believe it will be done some day. It's not so difficult to do although the right resources are needed.

18. Janus58 Valued Senior Member

And for many, down existed as a single universal direction
    And in all this time you've successively prevented any real understanding of the Theory from sinking in.
    Then why are you here?

19. James R Just this guy, you know? Staff Member

Most physics books, when mentioning the Twin Paradox, immediately say that it is not really a paradox at all, but only apparently a paradox at first glance. Many used the term "paradox" in inverted commas.

20. (Q) Encephaloid Martini Valued Senior Member

Ok, I understand, but Q said never seen a paradox of Relativity Theory!

That is correct. I have yet to see a paradox of relativity.

21. UnderWhelmed Registered Senior Member

Can you give me a better definition of what this means? I am clearly not on your level of intellect...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

22. martillo Registered Senior Member

UnderWhelmed,

Forget the twins for a moment and think just in two guys travelling in two space-ships. Suppose they have a relative velocity between them. May be both were accelerated for some time but now they are travelling at a constant velocity v between them.
    Applying Relativity to them we will see that one is getting older than the other.
    But we can freely choose the referential of one of the two guys as the first one. For Relativity any referential is equivalent to study every phenomena of Nature.
    If we choose the referential of one guy ass the first we will have that the other guy is getting YOUNGER while if we choose the other referential this guy is getting OLDER...

This means opposite results, this means CONTRADICTION...

May be we as you said we must have an Absolute Referential to determine the truth but for Relativity this must not exist! We would go against Relativity trying to do this.

For me this subject have NO SOLUTION. The Theory is wrong.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2005
  23. funkstar ratsknuf Valued Senior Member

You're still struggling with the relativity of simultaneity, I see.