"The Day After"

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by WildBlueYonder, Jan 10, 2005.

1. excuse me if I get a little "out there", but could we have already altered our environment enough to have Tsunamis (SE Asia), famines (sub-Saharan Africa), fierce winds (Europe), hurricanes (Florida) & torrential rains (California),

so much so, that it now looks like the movie "The Day After" is our future?

I could cross-post this idea in Science & Paranormal

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. cardiovascular_tech behind you with a knife Registered Senior Member

it looks that way, but alot more research is going to need to be done

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. madanthonywayne Morning in America Staff Member

Please! There have always been natural disasters, the weather always changes. In the 70's the weather seemed to be getting colder, so the environmental alarmists were convinced we were entering a new ice age. Then they decided it was getting a bit warmer and screamed about global warming. They soon noticed that many people didn't see global warming of 1/2 or 1 degree over a hundred years as a problem warrenting draconian solutions (Kyoto). So now the claim is that global warming will cause an ice age by screwing with ocean currents and increase the severity and frequency of storms by pumping more energy into the system. The neat part about this claim is that it renders their hypothesis unfalsifyable. Whether the earth gets warmer or colder, it's a disaster and it's caused by global warming. Whenever there's a storm, an earthquake(!), or a drought: it's caused by global warming. How the hell can global warming be responsible for the earthquake that caused the Tsunamis?!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. top mosker Ariloulaleelay Registered Senior Member

We are getting record snowfallsin northern nevada. I even heard it was snowing in Las Vegas and along the Rio Grande.

8. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

Wasn't the tsunami caused by an earthquake?

In that case it has nothing to do with an altered climate.

9. vslayer Registered Senior Member

we are getting random weather in new zealand, we have snow, hail, floods, and contstant rain in the middle of summer, coldest summer on record apparently, beat the 1850something record by 4degC

immediately after the tsunami we had sea levels rise by about 1m, the water table in my town at the moment is about 2feet higher than normal so most the septic tanks have stopped working(sewers have finally been finished but only 1 house is connected at the moment)

icebergs have been reported near stewart island

and this is all because of elnino weather and warm air over australia

10. Starthane Xyzth returns occasionally... Valued Senior Member

Can I be really pedantic?

The Day After was a 1980s TV movie about a nuclear war! Not so likely to be our future any longer, thank God - not unless the global balance of power shifts again, drastically.

You, of course, are thinking of The Day After Tomorrow from last summer, already the topic of several threads here at SciForums....

At least one person I spoke to about the latter movie did, in fact, confuse it with the former.

As to the essential question you posed: I agree with Madanthonywayne. We can't blame humans for geologic upheavals, and to try using them as evidence for an approaching apocalypse is pure fantasy. The tsunamis were undoubtedly caused by an earthquake, so I don't see why anyone would want to try linking them to human activity. An earthquake is nothing for any nation to be ashamed of - not like a famine, floods or wildfires, which are a damning indictement of land use and agricultural planning.