The Dao, (Tao) the way, quotes, opinions, anything is good,

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by EmptyForceOfChi, Nov 28, 2005.

1. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

what is everybodies comments, on daoism, and the teachings that it puts forward,

peace,

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

taiji would say otherwise,

-Zhung Lao Quan Xing Li-

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Tao (pronounced 'Dao') can be defined as 'path', or 'road'. The way of the Tao is the way of Nature and of ultimate reality. Tao is often described as a force that flows through all life. A happy and virtuous life is one that is in harmony with the Tao, with Nature.
    So the philosophy of Taoism understands Tao as the One Thing which exists and connects the Many things. Tao, Nature, Reality are One. The idea that 'All is One and interconnected' is not found solely within Chinese Philosophy. The ancient Indians and Greek Philosophers also understood the universe as a unity, as have many other philosophers and scientists over the past 2500 years.

As Leibniz profoundly says;

Reality cannot be found except in One single source, because of the interconnection of all things with one another. (Leibniz, 1670)

Albert Einstein also had a good understanding of humans as an inseparable part of the One, as he writes;

A human being is part of the whole called by us universe ... We experience ourselves, our thoughts and feelings as something separate from the rest. A kind of optical delusion of consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from the prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty. The true value of a human being is determined by the measure and the sense in which they have obtained liberation from the self. We shall require a substantially new manner of thinking if humanity is to survive. (Albert Einstein)

The foundation of Taoism is correct, that Tao, Nature, Reality are One. It is important to understand that the ancient Chinese philosophers did not actually know how the One Thing / Tao caused and connected the many things, and further that human Language could never directly describe this One Thing (which must therefore remain beyond comprehension) and which we called 'Tao'. (God, Brahman, etc.)
    As Lao Tzu proclaimed;

The Tao that can be expressed is not the Eternal Tao. .. There is a thing, formless yet complete. Before heaven and earth it existed. We do not know its name, but we call it Tao. It is the Mystery of Mysteries.
    (Lao Tzu, Tao te Ching)

If One Thing / Tao is all that exists, then there can be no logical concepts, (as logic requires two things), nor indeed any understanding of how this One thing could cause the Many changing things which we experience in the world. The error has been in not correctly realising the properties of the One.
    Recent discoveries on the properties of Space and the Wave Structure of Matter (Wolff, Haselhurst) suggests that we can understand Reality (Tao) and the interconnection of all things from a logical / scientific foundation.
    The One Thing / Tao, (Space) has Properties (Wave-Medium) that give rise to the many things (Matter as the Spherical Wave Motion of Space). This then allows us to form the necessary connections for language and logic (as logic requires a relationship between two things). Space and Motion exist a priori (necessary for us to have senses, the cause of our senses).

As Humans have evolved from Nature (Tao) they ultimately depend upon Nature (Tao) for their survival. Until we understand what we are as humans (what matter is) and how we are connected to the universe (Reality, Tao), it is impossible for humanity to be wise, and to be able to evolve cultural knowledge that enables us to live in Harmony with Nature (Tao).

some website,
    -Quan Zhao Long-,

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Lao Tzu, Tao te Ching Quotes,

The Tao that can be expressed is not the Eternal Tao. (Lao Tsu/Tzu)

If people do not revere the Law of Nature,
    It will inexorably and adversely affect them.
    If they accept it with knowledge and reverence,
    It will accommodate them with balance and harmony. (Lao Tzu)

Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river. (Lao Tzu)

There is a thing, formless yet complete.
    Before heaven and earth it existed.
    Without sound, without substance,
    it stands alone and unchanging.
    It is all-pervading and unfailing.
    One may think of it as the mother of all beneath Heaven.
    We do not know its name, but we call it Tao.
    Deep and still, it seems to have existed forever.

The Great Tao flows everywhere.
    It may go left or right.
    All things depend on it for life, and it does not turn away from them.
    It accomplishes its tasks, but does not claim credit for it.
    It clothes and feeds all things, but does not claim to be master over them.
    Always without desires, it may be called the Small.
    All things come to it and it does not master them;
    it may be called The Great.

We look at it and do not see it;
    Its name is the invisible.
    We listen to it and do not hear it;
    Its name is the inaudible.
    We touch it and do not find it;
    Its name is the Subtle (formless).
    These three cannot be further probed,
    and hence merge into one . . .
    Infinite and boundless, it cannot be given any name;
    It reverts to nothingness.
    This is called shape without shape, form without object.
    It is the vague and elusive.
    Meet it and you will not see its head.
    Follow it and you will not see its back.

The Tao that can be told of is not the eternal Tao;
    the name that can be named is not the eternal name.

Non-Being is the term given to that from which Heaven and Earth sprang.
    Being is the term given to the mother that rears all things . . . [Bodde]
    The two are the same,
    But after they are produced , they have different names.
    The two together we call the Mystery.
    It is the Mystery of Mysteries. [Bodde].

When the people of the world all know beauty as beauty,
    There arises the recognition of ugliness.
    When they know the good as the good,
    There arises the perception of evil.
    Therefore Being and non-Being produce each other.

The thing that is called Tao is eluding and vague.
    Vague and eluding, there is in it form.
    Eluding and vague, in it are things.

Tao invariably takes no action, and yet there is nothing left undone.

Clay is molded to form a vessel,
    But it is on its non-being that the usefulness of the utensil depends.
    Doors and windows are cut to make a room,
    but it is on its non-being that the utility of the room depends.

Heaven and earth are not humane.
    They regard all things as straw dogs.

Hold on to the Tao of old in order to master the things of the present.

Being one with Nature, he is in accord with the Tao.
    Being in accord with the Tao, he is everlasting.

The sage manages affairs without action
    And spreads doctrines without words . . .
    By acting without action, all things will be in order.

To hold and fill to overflowing
    is not as good as to stop in time.
    Sharpen a sword-edge to its very sharpest,
    And the edge will not last long . . .
    Withdraw as soon as your work is done.
    Such is Heaven's Way.

The weak and the tender overcome the hard and the strong.

To yield is to be preserved whole.
    To be bent is to become straight.
    To be empty is to be full . . .
    To have little is to possess.

The stiff and the hard are companions of death,
    The tender and the weak are companions of life.

There is nothing softer and weaker than water,
    And yet there is nothing better for attacking hard and strong things.

The use of force usually brings requital.
    Wherever armies are stationed, briers and thorns grow.
    Great wars are always followed by famines.

Weapons are instruments of evil, not the instruments of a good ruler.
    When he uses them unavoidably, he regards calm restraint as the best principle.
    Even when he is victorious, he does not regard it as praiseworthy,
    For to praise victory is to delight in the slaughter of men.

I treat those who are good with goodness,
    And I also treat those who are not good with goodness,
    Thus goodness is attained.

Whether it is big or small, many or few, repay hatred with virtue.

Attain complete emptiness,
    Maintain steadfast quietude.
    All things flourish
    But each one returns to its root.
    This return to its root means tranquility.

Therefore let people hold on to these:
    Manifest plainness,
    Embrace simplicity,
    Reduce selfishness,
    Have few desires.

He who hoards most will lose heavily,
    He who is contented suffers no disgrace.

There is no calamity greater than lavish desires.
    There is no greater guilt than discontentment.
    And there is no greater disaster than greed.
    He who is contented with contentment is always contented.

The courts are exceedingly splendid,
    while the fields are exceedingly weedy,
    and the granaries are exceedingly empty.
    Elegant clothes are worn,
    sharp weapons are carried,
    Foods and drinks are enjoyed beyond limit,
    And wealth and treasures are accumulated in excess.
    This is robbery and extravagance.
    This is indeed not the Tao.

8. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

Chuang Tzu Quotes

Do not ask whether the Principle is in this or in that; it is in all beings. It is on this account that we apply to it the epithets of supreme, universal, total ... It has ordained that all things should be limited, but is Itself unlimited, infinite. As to what pertains to manifestation, the Principle causes the succession of its phases, but is not this succession. It is the author of cause and effects, but is not the causes and effects. It is the author of condensations and dissipations (birth and death, changes of state), but is not itself condensations and dissipations. All proceeds from It and is under its influence. It is all things, but is not identical with beings, for it is neither differentiated nor limited. (Chuang Tzu, The Book of Chang Tzu)

The Tao te Ching never speaks of a transcendent God or gods. Its central focus is the Tao or Way, conceived of as a mysterious and numinous unity, infinite and eternal, underlying all things and sustaining them. When Tung Kuo Tzu asked Chuang Tzu where the Tao was, he replied it was in the ant, the grass, the clay tile: 'There is nowhere where it is not ... There is no single thing without Tao. Heaven and I were created together, and all things and I are one. (Chuang Tzu,The Book of Chang Tzu)

The sage has the sun and moon by his side and the universe under his arm. He blends everything into a harmonious whole. (Chuang Tzu)

Only the intelligent knows how to identify all things as one. . . . When one is at ease with himself, one is near Tao. This is to let Nature take its own course. (Chuang Tzu)

He who knows the activities of Nature lives according to Nature. (Chuang Tzu, The Book of Chang Tzu)

Once upon a time, I, Chuang Chou, dreamt I was a butterfly, fluttering hither and thither, to all intents and purposes a butterfly. I was conscious only of my happiness as a butterfly, unaware that I was Chou. Soon I awaked, and there I was, veritably myself again. Now I do not know whether I was then a man dreaming I was a butterfly, or whether I am now a butterfly, dreaming I am a man. Between a man and a butterfly there is necessarily a distinction. The transition is called the transformation of material things. (Chuang Tzu)

Human life is limited, but knowledge is limitless. To drive the limited in pursuit of the limitless is fatal; and to presume that one really knows is fatal indeed! (Chuang Tzu, The Book of Chang Tzu)

9. xcaleber Registered Member

There are two sources for Taoism. The Tao Te Ching by Lao Tzu (who may or may not have been a real person) is the essential teaching of the way belonging to "quietude." Chuang Tzu applied similar concepts and analysis on the Tao Te Ching, which is basically the modern "Tao" we see today. Obviously the Tao Te Ching was written as a response to the states (China) deteriorating social conditions. As you read the Tao Te Ching translated "the treatise on the way and its power" there are many aphorisms regarding that in order to let the Tao flow one must let go. Okay and im stopping there , I was not sure if someone needed a basic explanation, but I know one things for sure; the Tao way is very rich and deep (ambiguous)--which is also why I don't dabble in eastern philsoophy anymore.

10. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

nice reply, shame you dont dabble in eastern philosophy anymore, i love it personaly,

the best source of the dao is th dao itself, reading the scriptures just puts it into perspective it can never truley be taught from reading the scripts.

The Tao that can be told of is not the eternal Tao
    the name that can be named is not the eternal name.

peace.

11. EmptyForceOfChi Banned Banned

i am writing my own scripts, they will be based upon the dao, i will post them in this thread soon, (a few days),

peace.

12. 0scar J'aime La Moutarde Registered Senior Member

I studied taoism for years, reading every book i could find and studying/practicing tai chi ect... then one day at work i realized that everything happens all by its self. thats what taoism means to me. There is forcing and relaxing, thats okay. now i have only one principle; dont ever say "i wish this day would just end!"