The da vinci code

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mickeyboy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. Don Hakman Registered Senior Member

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. suzukisfrog Registered Senior Member

i listened to a clip of the audio book of that da vinci code and it sucked.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ashwini This is because man in never. Registered Senior Member

exactly!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. buffys Registered Loser Registered Senior Member

That's like judging the quality of a movie by it's trailer. I'm all for opinions but if you haven't actually read it your opinion is about as useful as a glass hammer. The site must be full of things you actually know something about, why not comment there?

Personally, I think the book is mediocre to decent but it certainly doesn't deserve the enormous amount of attention in gets. It's a good book if you need to kill some time on a long flight or something.

8. strawberrykisses Registered Member

I think whether or not the book is historically accurate is quite irrelevant - I don't think Dan Brown himself has ever claimed that it was written to portray any valid historical facts.
    The "enormous amount of attention it gets" would not be given if the book was not a good read. Brown must be doing something right to get all that publicity - he can't help it if there are people out there stupid enough to just suck up everything they read - as long as you can make your own judgement...

9. certified psycho Beware of the Shockie Monkey Registered Senior Member

Who has the new illustrated version of the book. Was going to get it but got the original one and still haven't cracked it.

10. cole grey Hi Valued Senior Member

A friend loaned me the illustrated version, I thought it would be interesting to see the art and places described in the book, it was. But as far as the novel goes, blah. The eighth grade reading level made it good for use as a "before-bedtime" book, no brain work necessary. It has a pretty interesting story, but the prose sucks.

Just look through the illustrated version at the bookstore for ten minutes and you will probably get as much out of it as I did.

11. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Mr Brown was on telly saying that all the secret societies and history in the books is factual. This makes him either very credulous, or a liar. I tend towards the first explanation myself.

12. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

i just watched the doco on cracking the davinci code. it was very interesting to see the background behind it and i am going to try to get a copy of the templar relverlations

just to note, did anyone else think the knife looked like a fish? and the person who was said to be a women DEFINITLY looks like a girl

13. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Strawberrykisses:
    In three words: "All of it"

He admits that historians are propoganda.

1.If you know your facts are based on fictional rubbish.
    2.And that rubbish on pagan wishful thinking.
    3.Then you claming it as fact is as stupid as those reading you.
    QED

14. Roman Banned Banned

I was at the Lourve recently, and they had a painting of the last supper. The three of us who found the picture couldn't for the life of us find the knife, and the man was definitely a man.
    Brown's full of shit.

15. Mephura Applesauce, bitch... Valued Senior Member

Thanks, gendy..
    I'm reading it now.

On the otherhand, angels and demons annoyed the hell out of me for soe very trivial reasons, but I get caught in details.

I have a feeling this one isn't that Code isn't going ot be much better.

16. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

Roman:

it wasnt browns words i was talking about. This was from a different sorce, the authors of the templar reverlation (a non fiction book). The video i was watching HAD a blown up piture of the last supper and it looks EXACTLY like a women, altho i still think the knife looks like a sardiene

17. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

that book annoyed the hell out of me,loads of people told me to read it and that it was amazing.the only thing that saved the book was that the subject matter was interesting,it seemed like it had been written by a 14 year old boy,or clive cussler.the thing about the last supper was one of the most annoying parts of the book,he says that da vinci painted a woman in there as if it was a digital picture of the actual last supper.just because someone painted it doesnt make it true.grr.read uncle toms cabin and the long goodbye after that which restored my faith in literature.

18. congrats, you just visited one of Western Civs GREAT museums
    could be digital manipulation in the book

Brown has a 'hidden agenda', to cut Catholism & Christianity down, so that his own personal belief system becomes more "reasonable", so that people will follow it & of course, to sell books

http://www.talkaboutreligion.com/group/uk.religion.christian/messages/393710.html
    http://forums.catholic.com/printthread.php?t=9926

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cach....asp "Dan Brown's bio"&hl=en&client=firefox-a

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2005
  19. alain du hast mich Registered Senior Member

dan browns 4 da vinci code series books came in top 4 at a bookstore i went to... ive never read em, but id compare them to harry potter

20. kenworth dude...**** it,lets go bowling Registered Senior Member

i think that is a little unfair on harry potter,which is written quite well.

21. purple_hairstreak My true colours clash Registered Senior Member

I think it's a very, very, VERY badly written book. It's just a bunch of facts bound together loosely by an excuse for a plot. All his other books are similar. And personally, I find his "Let me show off how much I know" style highly irritating!

22. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Isn't anybody else outraged by the sheer intellectual snobbery displayed in this post? I'll read a book for my own reasons, judge it on my own terms.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2005
  23. Laika Space Bitch Registered Senior Member

Heh, sorry. He (she?) can though.