The da vinci code

Discussion in 'Art & Culture' started by mickeyboy, Nov 21, 2004.

1. mickeyboy Powerslave rocks Registered Senior Member

hi folks
    i have not posted for a while, been really busy.
    anyways i have just started reading this book "the da vinci code" by Dan Brown, and just wondered what people thought of it, i am about a third of the way through it and i am really enjoynig it.
    Only thing is i think some people are taking it to far.
    You see i work for probably the worlds largest retailer of books and suchlike and this book is flying out of the door, but i have noticed a few books on how to decode the da vinci code, and i thought what is that all about, i mean am i missing the point or just normal.
    any and all suggestion/comments welcome

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. -Bob- Insipid Fool Registered Senior Member

Isn't that the book about how Christ knocked up some broad and then they created a secret society around his kids?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Bob is correct. I have a friend who never reads books but has recommended this one to me because it’s “excellent.” Said friend is a retard who I no longer talk to because he had bad tastes in books.

Thank the good Lord for Neal Pollack because he says this better than I can:
    http://www.thestranger.com/current/books.html

It's a good article.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Persol I am the great and mighty Zo. Registered Senior Member

It's also a good book, as long as you don't fall into the trap of believing it's fact.

8. CounslerCoffee Registered Senior Member

Persol, that is the problem I have with it. All these people walking around talking like they know it all. I've read news reports about.... Eh, I don't care enough to type all the bile about it.

9. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

It's a very entertaining book. It'll make a good action/adventure flick. As far as "learning" anything from it.. It did make me realize the balance (or lack of balance) between "left" and "right" ideologies. I am going to read more on that. But as far as the secrets of christianity, take that with a (large) grain of salt.

10. mickeyboy Powerslave rocks Registered Senior Member

thanks dude i'll not need to finish it now....TWAT

11. dsdsds Valued Senior Member

Actually, it's not about that at all. It about a search for a secret & treasure.

12. -Bob- Insipid Fool Registered Senior Member

Glad to hear it dude.

13. tablariddim forexU2 Valued Senior Member

Oh for fuck's sake, just read it, enjoy it, be awed by it for 2 minutes and then move on... it's all bullshit designed to make a profit. Remember what I said for a year, then think about it and tell me if I'm wrong.

14. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Persol:
    Actually it isn't.
    Its very badly written if by bad we mean simplistic. Terribly simplistic, which is why it appeals to masses.

The worth of a book is not in the plot or its knowledge- I've read plenty of shitty books that had an amazing plot (Lewis- about a panicky monk who can't control his penis) and other shitty books loaded with facts and trivia that said nothing- Ann Coulter proselytizing on how to talk to a liberal, for example.

The worth of a book is in the writer's empathy and imagination he uses for his fiction, or the analytic depth and reason he use for the non.
    You see it in the sentences, the words, the language- you see the writer involved as if he's trying to eat your face in with his story.
    The gravity of Marx compared to the flighty words from Engels- Marx is the more powerful mind, but its Engles that appealed to throngs.

People LOOOOOOVE this "Da Vinci Code" because they can fly right through it but still get to feel they accomplished something.

15. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

I havnt read it, but thought that anyone who didnt realise the plotline about jesus marrying mary magdalene is at the minimum over 20 years old, is a moron. Its such an old idea, is it supposed to be shocking or something?

16. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Guthrie:
    No- the idea goes back to the actual writing of the bible.
    These stories were ousted into the Apocrypha.

"Ivanhoe" mentions this theory is well, and Scott was an 1800's writer.

17. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Oh aye, that sounds about right. I hav'nt read the apocrypha properly yet, though I have a copy somewhere. Ivanhoe mentions it? What are you doing wading through Scotts romantic guff?

18. geistkiesel Valued Senior Member

To those in this thread discussing the Da Vinci Code, here is a preview:

Just read the bible, NT, (MML and J)John tells of the wedding at Caana where Mary, Jesus' mother is ordering servants around like a marine corps drill instructor, to do what jesus tells them to do. This is after she orders J to get some more wine, which J hesitates with, "My time is not yet," , but mommy prevails. They. J and associates, go in another room, fill some jugs with water and low and behold, a few gallons of Beringer Brothers Cabernet Sauvingnon !!

The head servant later congratulates the groom (who is unammeD, for saving the best wine until last. The next words in the verse, "Jesus , , 'descrinbing his next activity.

Question:Who traditionaly supplies the wine for Jewish wedding?

Answer: The groom. For J, who is referred to as 'Rabb', it would have been unthnkable for him not be married.

Who, but the mother of the groom, would order servants around like Mary did at the wedding, unless she had some official status at the festivities?

The apostles complained to J for kissing Mary on the mouth and accused J of "loving" her more than them.

Twas Mary, Martha and Lazarus's sister, who anointed J in oil and wiped the oil from his body with her hair, quite intimate, n'cest pas? This was at Lazarus' house, he being "rich", and apparently J's brother in law who j called from the dead after L had been entombed for 4 days, and who supplied the ass that J rode into Jerusalem as foretold by the OT the Messiah would be so borne.

All four books of the NT M,M , L and J all quoted Pikate as finding no fault or crime in J, yet "cowered " infear that those yelling fo J's execution riot or whatever. Yeah, sure the Roman govenor, a timid pussy? The Romans did niot have an annual save one for the Jews, gift. Barrabas can be translated as "Son of Rabbi"

J didn't even carry the cross, this was done by "Simon".

Were the multitudes weeping over the suffering J?
    The bible mentions only that some women , J's mommy. Mary, the mother of James, the twin, etc.were "looking on from afar".

J lasted 9 hours , when he should have lsted 2-3 days. The Romans did not give the corpses of the crucified to the families, thy wanted the folks to see what the natrual end was for those stepping on Roman toes, unless Pilate got a bit of some old fashioned quid pro quo, translated as a bribe, from the rich Joseph of Aramethea (sic) who wanted the body to put in his new, unused tomb, on his property.

J's only mission was to establish himself as the natural successor to "King of the Jews" as the desendant of David.

Jesus didn't die for us, he lived for us, of course it was all a scam, but who is complaining after two thousand years?

Like the Leon Russel song , "Roll away the stone," the story is all there.

Geistkiesel.

19. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Ah yes, thats right, I read all that in "Holy Blood, holy grail" by Baigent, Leigh and Lincoln.

20. water the sea Registered Senior Member

Hm. Someone enlighten me please, before I attempt to attempt to look at the cover of this book:

So the "Da Vinci Code" is something like a fake documentary, similar to Eco's "The name of the rose"?

21. guthrie paradox generator Registered Senior Member

Its a thriller more than a fake documentary, though there are I think elements of the name of the rose in it. My granies started reading it, so I'll get it after shes finished it.

22. Nuttyfish Guest

I guess that's one way of putting it...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

23. gendanken Ruler of All the Lands Valued Senior Member

Rosa:
    I may be too late, but don't bother.
    Eco is a pedant who's 'art' is simply his need to show off. "Foucault's Pendulum" took me a week to trudge through and even now I am unable to tell you its plot fully.

Its a faux-doc that appeals to those that go in for Freemasonry and Albert Pike "Satanism"- in other words, educated phillistines with a need to claim they understand the cryptic in order to feel different, special, and educated.

Guthrie:
    I go in for the history.