The crackpots are pushing me away...

Discussion in 'Physics & Math' started by chroot, Feb 17, 2003.

1. Fluidity Registered Senior Member

Math is the essential ingredient of comprehension in physics

Oh, and as a sidenote: I think we should also seperate maths from physics... I hate mathematics
    <HR>
    The above is what drive chroot, Ron, JR, and lethe crazy. Physics and Math are born from the same cradle. There would be no high math without physics, and there would be no understanding of Physics without high math.

I suck at math, but I'm studying, and I don't hate it. I want to understand, therefore math is required. The limit of my understanding of mathematics will be the limit of my understanding of Physics. Conceptually, physics would make no sense without math. You don't always have to crunch the numbers to understand the functions, but it helps get an idea of how motion relates to time using examples.

If you can't model the trajectory of a basketball into a hoop with some degree of realistic comparison, you will certainly be lost trying to comprehend why motion and time have a quadratic relationship that can flower into daunting equations when doppler shifts, gravity, inertia, and friction come into play at common 'Earth' speeds. Then, when you try to analyze motion at relatavistic speeds, you are lost in a soup of nonsense, without tangibility.

Mathematics do not model reality perfectly. We gain understanding of reality through mathematics.

These forums need people like Warren, JR, lethe, and RDT2.

I just wish there was a way to make sure they always gain something from the arguments that ensue with people like me, who often pose hack theory, thinking we are already on the right track.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ProCop Valued Senior Member

Well, I had a bad dream the other night. I dreamt I stumbled over a laser beam while walking the virtual highway to Sciforums and fell down into the members database. There I discovered some uncomforting data about the some familiar aliases: Proot and Chrosoothus were actually the same person, Ramses J was a former inmate now guard on deathrow ward in Texas, RTD2 was actually Joe Public on witness protection program, Nudity (actualy her) Las Vegas stripper..Oh boy what a dream! Luckily, when I woke up I found all as it shoud be at sciforums ...hopefully it will stay so for a long time

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. spookz Banned Banned

eureka! i found the soul/spirit!

An electron is behaving much as we do when we react to a situation. To the extent that an electron responds to a meaning in its environment, it is "observing" its environment, gathering information, and responding accordingly. It behaves in strange ways, like being a wave and a particle at the same time and jumping from one state to another without passing in between - things that cannot be understood but only be calculated statistically. Thus, there is a common activity in which the electron participates and is guided by the quantum or information field.

The wave function thus becomes a kind of mental side of the particle, the information content determining its nature and activity.

thank you de broglie
    thank you bohm
    my wife
    god

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

crisp, i disagree

i think people who don't have an advanced education in any subject are only posting and browsing here because they want to learn. but when you have people bashing them for not knowing something, even if it's basic, it just takes the whole fun out of posting. why not just be a nice guy, or at least diplomatic when you post something instead of going around starting fights ya know?

not naming names, just givng my 2 cents.

8. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Re: crisp, i disagree

None of us have an advanced education in every subject - I know some stuff but not everything, as some of the discussion well illustrates.

Not for not knowing, but for refusing to accept the answer (as currently understood). That's not to say that this 'answer' is cast in stone - but you have to be on very firm ground before arguing against accepted knowledge.

Cheers,

Ron.

9. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

No, man, you're doing exactly what this forum (IMO) is for! You post intelligent (and sometimes quite challenging) questions about relativity. I enjoy this forum the most when someone asks something that takes me a day with pencil and paper to answer. I learn something in the process, and feel accomplishment and being able to answer the question. If posters like you left, there'd be little of worth discussed on this forum.

What I don't like are the anti-establishment zealots. People like MacM -- they come onto this site in a whirlwind. They make false claims, they shout at people, they continue to repeat "relativity is a farce" over and over again, they ask questions and then argue with clear answers, etc. These people have their own agenda -- and thus I think they deserve their own forum!

- Warren

10. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

Re: Re: crisp, i disagree

well put, but i think some people ACT like they do and get carried away with their egos.

i see what you're saying, and in fact i don't believe i have ever refused to accept any answer. i'm talking about when people bash people for no reason. laughing at a theory is one thing, but bashing someone and thn making them the butt of all of your jokes suddenly just because they don't agree with what is accepted seems a lot more juvenile to me than being curious about alternative theories and what not.

ya know?

11. chroot Crackpot killer Registered Senior Member

Re: chroot

Yeah? Who?

- Warren

12. GundamWing Registered Senior Member

" The crackpots are pushing me away... "

-- how can crackpots push you away? Are we talking about some new fundamental force here? A new flimflammery of magic idiot dust that has the power to push physicists to the brink of extinction?

my my. I say keep your wits about you and remain unfettered by the flimflammery, its what the PhD was supposed to train you for wasn't it? Not so that you can shirk away from the battlefield and run like a fat man chasing an ice cream truck at the first sign of half(or lessthanhalf)-knowledge.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

13. spookz Banned Banned

haha
    now that gundam's set the ball rolling i cannot resist any longer!

chroot! don't be such an emotional retard!!

14. kaduseus melencolia I Registered Senior Member

What did Da Vinci say about judgement being the detroyer of the soul.
    Warren I know you think most people are a crackpot and you are the self apointed crackpot killer.
    BUT,
    there are some of us who are semi-crackpot, willing to learn, willing to ask, who don't understand the maths yet but want to learn what the idea behind the maths is.
    We are the random element in science, we offer bizzare ideas that may or may not be the spark to new ideas.
    Please don't go...
    If the forums rules were applied you would have been kicked off long ago for calling people fuckwits, use the term bozo or call them einstien, it's more effective, less offensive and causes less stress.
    Chillout dude.

15. ProCop Valued Senior Member

RE:RDT2

"accepted knowledge" suggests a proces. I would say that also the accepted knowledge started as a weak notion, an idea, which went through a process of firming (firming notion: confronting the notion against accepted knowledge --> adjusting accepted knowledge/(discarding notion if wrong or renotioning it))
    It seems that a forum is the right place to go for arguing ideas - weak or strong. Accepted knowledge is easy to get at at Amazon.com, but it's a different URL. This is a forum.

16. GundamWing Registered Senior Member

Just to play Chroot's advocate -- its ok to debate questionable or weird ideas, just not to claim that they are the next big thing since sliced bread.

17. ProCop Valued Senior Member

RE

OK. My plead is guilty.

18. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

finally i'm finding some support for crackpot theories, sheeez....

i can kinda understand why people would argue that crackpot theories have no place in a physics forum, i just don't agree-- i think that's the argument of a close-minded fellow who can't see past their nose.

it's up to the reader to do the research to see what is worth studying. but to just pass judgement without renting the theory for a little while, giving people a fair chance in a public discussion or to just blatantly cut people down, shooting personal attacks as if it's a yahoo chatroom or something, is just so against the point of a message forum, like ProCop suggests.

19. spookz Banned Banned

just to play a chroot booster.... please dont go! guys like you are the backbone of sciforums!

20. spookz Banned Banned

you mean you understand that these people are dumb shits?

21. RDT2 Registered Senior Member

Absolutely! That's why 'I don't agree with relativity/ Newtonian mechanics/ whatever' is not a good starting point. These have all gone through the process of 'firming' and have been subject to intense scrutiny. No-one would argue that they will be extended, but the development will include these as special cases.

Are you equally prepared to concede that most 'crackpot theories' are simply wrong? Like music and art, only the good stuff survives scrutiny.

Cheers,

Ron.

22. zechaeriah Registered Senior Member

see, that's exactly what i'm talking about. senseless mockery like that is such a waste of time and energy. why not post somethng useful?

23. spookz Banned Banned

chroot did

ok

therefore chroot is "a close-minded fellow who can't see past their nose."
    ie: "a dumb shit"

yes? no?