The Counscious Defines Time

Discussion in 'Eastern Philosophy' started by TruthSeeker, Jan 11, 2003.

1. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It's is a personal Philosophy based on Christian views (not written here)... So or it belongs to General Philosophy or maybe to Religion...

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Xev Registered Senior Member

It's a personal philosophy that has more New Age/Eastern overtones than Western overtones. It is also becoming a flamefest (see your comments to Juliette) and I don't want that sort of thing in my board.

Out of my hands now anyway.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

There is absolutly nothing of Eastern or New Age here...:bugeye:
    It's actually mostly science, ideas like presentism...:bugeye:
    Really... don't judge what you cannot understand...:bugeye:

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Xev Registered Senior Member

Take it up with Pofiry or drop it. I see nothing resembling what is termed "western philosophy", I see no substantiative debate - should I have closed your thread instead of moving it to an appropriate forum?

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Sure supreme dictator!...err... I mean... moderator...

9. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Ma'am" will work fine, Nelson. Now go wax my Alfa Romeo.

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Not really... I will soon take over your dictatoriorship! The revolution begins NOW!

11. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Btw... taht was a "serious" critique...

12. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Someone's gone a little power crazy....

13. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

It is common sense that when common people feel the power they usually start acting like that and abusing it... Just look at almost any president in this world...

14. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

They say the best leader is the one who reluctantly accepts the postition cause he sees no one else worthy of the job.

15. Rajagopals Registered Senior Member

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Well... I'm not very "in" eastern stuff anymore... so I can't really comment on it...

17. Nasor Valued Senior Member

Go look at a basic calculus textbook to see why zeno's paradox isn't really a paradox. Zeno's paradox relies on the assumption that the sum of an infinite number of numbers must always be infinite, which is incorrect.

And yes, there is a set unit to measure time by; we currently use vibrations of cesium atoms, which are quantifiable whole numbers.

18. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

Ok, I know next to nothing on the subject, but how can infinity plus infinity equal a static number? the closest answer I can think of to a static number is 2. 2 infinities... Which isn't exactly static. :bugeye:

19. notme2000 The Art Of Fact Registered Senior Member

So how long does it take for a cesium atom to vibrate, and why can't that amount of time be cut in half a-la-Zeno's Paradox?

20. Nasor Valued Senior Member

The sum of an infinitely long set of numbers can be equal to a discrete number if the numbers being added together decrease with each addition. For example, the sum of 1 + ½ + 1/4 + 1/8…taken to infinity will equal two. This is the same thing that happens with zeno's paradox. You have to sum an infinite number of time-lengths to calculate the total time necessary to travel the distance, but the result is not infinite; it's a discrete number. They didn't have the concept of calculus limits back in zeno's time, so he can be forgiven for being mistaken, but it's no longer a paradox.
    It takes exactly 1/9,192,631,770 seconds for a cesium atom to vibrate; this is the definition of second.

Well, actually a second is defined as exactly 9,192,631,770 vibrations of a cesium atom, but you see what I mean.

21. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Let's do some math...

The sum of an infinite sequence of numbers is defined by:
    S=a/(1-r)

Where S is the sum, a is the first term of the series and r is the ratio. However, this is an approximation. The sum of an infinite series will never end. What we are saying here is that once the numbers get too small, they are not important anymore (what is pretty wrong to think, actually). For example:

1)If we have an infinite geometric sequence which first term is 4 and ratio is 1/2 then...
    series:
    4+2+1+1/2+1/4+1/8+1/16....
    Theorically, the sum is 8.

In practice will NEVER get to 8. But since the numbers get too small, we make an approximation. But that is not really right. In the other way around is even more clear.

2)Try that:
    a=2 r=2
    2+4+8+16+...

Again, it will never end, there will never be a last number added. So in practice, Zeno's paradox is right.

22. Nasor Valued Senior Member

No. The limit of an infinite sum is not an approximation; it is an actual value. The summation of 1+1/2+1/4...will actually be 2 if extended to infinity. Note that it will only actually be 2 (rather than simply very close to 2) if the sum is extended to infinity. It's true that if you extended the sum to a discrete but very large amount that it would not actually equal 2, but at infinity the difference between 2 and the value of the summation will be 1/infinity, which is zero.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Nasor,

I agree qith that but there will still be infinite numbers between 1 and 2. Besides, the highlighted part is what you should pay more attention, which is THE evidence of Zeno's paradox. There are infinite numbers between all natural numbers. Actually, there are infinite numbers between all numbers. That is the focus of Zeno's paradox. See again the series:

If you continue the series, it will never end. There will always be a 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000...