The Consequences of being Too Social ?

Discussion in 'Human Science' started by river, Aug 19, 2017.

1. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I know you like to think these word snippets make you sound mysterious and deep, but they don't work when the people you are trying them are well-acquainted with the long history cheap hand-waving tactics. We will not get any more meaningful content from you on this topic, just shorter and shorter mystery blurbs.

exchemist likes this.
  2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. river Valued Senior Member

Well my above post holds true . As you know .

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. exchemist Valued Senior Member

This is exactly right. There is a tendency to dismiss people who hold a commonly held viewpoint that is not one's own. But then one's own viewpoint is, as likely as not, just a different, commonly held one, too.

Having said that, one does come across people whose views seem to form part of a very predictable "package". Sometimes one can even guess what newspaper they read. The people whose opinions I listen to most attentively are those for whom it is not easy to predict their view on a given subject. But that's not a fail-safe guide either.

I think it is quite important to mix with - and read the opinions of - different groups of people in order to form balanced views. The lack of this, it seems to me, is the danger of the much-discussed "echo-chamber" effect that the internet can have (depending on how one uses it).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. geordief Registered Senior Member

Is that a think tank?

8. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

I certainly don't know that. I can't even parse it, let alone divine its relevance here.

9. sweetpea Registered Senior Member

River, mysterious and deep? There's a song about him/her.
    ''Ol' man river, that ol' man river , He must know something, but he don't say nothin That ol' man river, he just keep rollin' along''.

DaveC426913 likes this.
  10. DaveC426913 Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There needs to be a Super-Like button.

11. river Valued Senior Member

From post #20

Inotherwords , the mainstream thinking , becomes everybodys thinking .