The complete and utter meaninglessness of life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Mallory Knox, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what is the point of life?

what is the point of it all?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. *stRgrL* Kicks ass Valued Senior Member

Asguard

I feel you. I really do. I dont get it either. What is to become of ones like ourselves?
    I know everyone travels a road that is hard, but why are some of us left with a mark? Why do I feel like the world is a better place without me? Self esteem? Lonliness? It just doesnt make sense to me.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Why do you really care if life has a point or not? I've done my share of wondering and being depressed about it all too... until I realised it really doesnt matter a jot whether there's a purpose or not.

If there's some great all-powerful being directing things up there... then it hasn't told us what the point is or even if there is one. So why concern yourself about it?

If there isn't an all-knowing all-powerful being up there... then again, why concern yourself?

Get over it and start living instead.. you'll find your life suddenly gets a whole heap better.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Asguard Kiss my dark side Valued Senior Member

what get on and start lying and cheating people?

so that i can get lots of money and try to BUY happyness?

not a chance

DEFINITLY rather be dead than surcome to the greed that swollows our world

8. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

Don't remember saying to lie or cheat in there... or to get rich either. If anything, I would say to you to ignore the whole lot of the bastards you see as doing so. When you pay attention to them, the only person you hurt is yourself - they sure as hell couldn't give a flying **** about you, or what you think.

Plenty of people manage to lead meaningful lives without resorting to crap like that asguard.. perhaps you should stop being so negative and live for yourself instead of thinking you have to bear all the burdens of the world on your shoulders. Or maybe you don't want to? Well if not, that's your lookout. Go through life being depressed then... you'll achieve nothing, and no one will care.

Live yourself, and they STILL won't care... but you'll find that you're happier anyway. And you'll also find there's plenty of people who think the same way you do, but don't go getting all deprressed about it, but instead carry on and make the best of things they can. These people will become your friends, and there's a meaning in life right there. The choice is yours.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2002
  9. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

The man wondered what was the meaning of life through all his life and when dying he discovered:
    the life...
    is simply...

to live...

10. Agent@5 Registered Senior Member

I thinks thats a part of what we do. But its not all, otherwise we would not be writing in this forum right now.

11. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Nah ...

Everyting between eating and procreating either contributes to us
    doing those two things ... or keeps us from being bored out of our
    gourds the rest of the time.

Take care

12. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

What I don't understand is people who take a point of view, describe what they see from that point, and claim that it is the truth.

Biology: we are only cells, we procreate and transport our genes. Partly true.

Physics: we are only matter. Partly true.

Spirtists: we are only spirits. Matter is an illusion. Partly true.

...etc...

Is this to find some solid ground while existing? Is it to cover up insecurity?

I think it is too easy. And often unkind to other viewpoints.

13. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Life is meaningless, but we must pretend life has a meaning. That is what philosophers are for.

14. Xev Registered Senior Member

And people often get carried away with the "meaning of life". That is what existentialists are for.

15. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

I believe Camus has some good ideas.

16. Xev Registered Senior Member

Camus is a babe. Very astute observer.

17. Joeman Eviiiiiiiil Clown Registered Senior Member

Who is that?

18. A4Ever Knows where his towel is Registered Senior Member

he's a French existentialist thinker. He died in 1960.

He sees that life is absurd but tries to deal with it. He rejects suicide as a sollution.

19. Xev Registered Senior Member

Thanx, A4Ever. Camus says that suicide is basically running away from the true nature of life, fleeing from the Absurd instead of fighting it, as Sisyphus would.

20. Chagur .Seeker. Registered Senior Member

Joeman ...

"Life is meaningless, but we must pretend life has a meaning. That is what philosophers are for."

Or ...

"We are all crazy, but those who analyze their craziness are often called philosophers."

Take care

21. mgs Registered Member

Xev, Joeman, Chagur, Truthseeker: I like your insistence that existentialism was the end of arrogance, except can you tell me if probably you haven’t totally explored the idea that people can either carry on determined to wait for the rules to be changed or can drop dead? The rules could be that there is no advantage in learning more about the consequences of our actions with a passion.

Squid Vicious:
    "If there's some great all-powerful being directing things up there... then it hasn't told us what the point is or even if there is one. So why concern yourself about it?"
    Why not have fun and concern yourself about helping people to find such a being, in case it exists? A reason I heard you might is if it really represented value.

Asguard, Strgrl, Squid Vicious: I think I could agree that becoming a greedy cheat would not be fulfilling and can you tell me what alternatives you will support?

22. Squid Vicious Banned Banned

In reply to the first paragraph, Pellinore I am not.

As to the second. I am rather greedy, I have to admit, but I am not a cheat. By the same token, I'm not about to give money to a beggar either, because in my opinion he has done nothing to deserve it. Let him show a measure of value to me and i will pay him accordingly.

So while I prefer not to take from others, I still accumulate for myself as much as i can. For me, in independance (financial I guess more than anything) lies freedom and comfort. I have never believed that being greedy is a bad thing... but allowing greed to take control to the point where you disadvantage others in your greed, is. If i sold a fake cure for cancer i would be scum in my own eyes, but if i invented the real cure, I'd take the money and retire in luxury in my castle with a high wall around it to keep the beggars out... because i'd earned it.

23. machaon Registered Senior Member

Meaning in the universe

Perhaps "meaning" is not a static property of the natural world. I think "meaning" would be more properly defined as a perspective one uses as a tool in order to create an internal consensus that characterizes the ebb and flow of thought as either adaptive or maladaptive. Meaning may not be something that should be searched for. It should be something one creates.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.