The complete and utter meaninglessness of life

Discussion in 'General Philosophy' started by Mallory Knox, May 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xev Registered Senior Member

Neutrino:
    Aye, and that is where the Absurd comes into play. It's pointless, but one does anyway.

*Xev grins*

I sound like a Camus fundie, if such a thing exists.

Tyler:
    Ha ha ha! Touche.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

Why is there no way to affect the future.. Everybody affects the future. - In their own way. People who live just to have fun will probably affect it the least. If you really want to affect the future go to politics

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

At the end of the day, it is what you are satisfied with.. I am not satisfied with just having fun - I never was. I get a depression if I don't study or do something creative. I am sure a lot of people feel same way. I would call it the "Home sapiens sapiens" need. If I do something creative I will get "high".
    Life is meaningless if you really look at it from within. Look at it from the other side: There so many amazing things going on in this world. Skyscrapers collapsing after being hit by a plane - watching it just reminds me how fun and interesting this life is... Relationships breaking up.. New relationships being made.. Life is one BIG game and it's fun.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. ndrs The Anti-Cthulhu Registered Senior Member

Why is there no way to affect the future.. Everybody affects the future. - In their own way. People who live just to have fun will probably affect it the least. If you really want to affect the future go to politics

At the end of the day, it is what you are satisfied with.. I am not satisfied with just having fun - I never was. I get a depression if I don't study or do something creative. I am sure a lot of people feel same way. If I do something creative I will get that "high" that not even sex can replace (ok I'm exaggerating here..

).
    Life is meaningless if you really look at it from within. Look at it from the other side: There so many amazing things going on in this world. Skyscrapers collapsing after being hit by a plane - watching it just reminds me how fun and interesting this life is... Relationships breaking up.. New relationships being made.. Life is one BIG game and it's fun.
    Peace and respec

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Ash711 Registered Member

heyoo everyone,
    Re. "We exist to eat and procreate like every other species on this planet."

Yep right, and why do we feel the need -urge sometimes- to do this ?

Coz, just like nearly every other specie on earth, we have a "pleasure system", something that release very nice things in our brain when we eat or procreate (eating/sex are not pleasant by essence, we make them pleasant)

So, by considering that sex/eat are some kind of material meaning to our life, we can extend to pleasure=meaning.

So on a individual point of view, life can be seen as a quest for pleasure. And as an earth specie, pleasure can come from sex/eating.

But we have a far far far more complex pleasure system than other species. Do you feel the same amount of pleasure when you eat a pizzaz and when you are in front of 200 persons who applause your theory about meaningless of life ? (if not then IMEDIATLY tell me what you eat....)

Furthermore, complex pleasure stimuli tends to be exclusive to each other whereas sex and eating are not (hey i am not saying i am having sex and meal at the SAME time...well some apple pie sometimes but... that's not the topic

) and we have the meaning of time (wich seems to be absent in other specie).

All of this implies that we have to make choices, ie accepting to feel pain/displeasure today(by studying for ex) hoping that on a long term we will have more pleasure...

Adds to that the fact that we are socialized, we have strong ego etc... etc...and you find yourself in front of a very very very complex pleasure system... that can gives us direction, unique direction for everyone (just try to maximize a 1000+ variables function, mathematically speaking, you have nearly infinite way to go to the top).

Of course, we will never know if life/nature has a meaning/direction, but as we have the choice to live meaningless life / meaningfull life (maybe artificially) it gives (this choice) a meaning to our life. Camus& Sartre says that life is meaningless as we will never know the essential truth in nature, ie Life and Time are meaningless to human. But our life and our time are meaningfull to us.

sorry if it was a pain to read... hey it was your choice

8. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

ndrs,

Have you ever seen the imagination and creativity of a child? Why do children create? Because it's how they have fun!. The same to us...

Love,
    Nelson

9. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Some people would argue consistant drug use provide consitant fun and imagination.........

10. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Cactus,

And than a headache. And you always have to get more dozes to have the same effect. It's an addiction. You must be self-fulfilling to always have fun. You have to have fun alone and than have fun with someone....

11. Xev Registered Senior Member

Cactus:

Yep.

Consistant drug use, wild, kinky weasel sex, scientific exploration, programming, hockey, cars, philosophical gibberings......

These are the things that make life worth living.

Nelson:
    Bah! Addiction is for pussies.

Ash:
    Demon pizza!

Feta cheese, mozzarella, pesto and tomatoes. Better than 200 people's applause - unless they give me money, of course.

12. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Have you ever seen the imagination and creativity of a child? Why do children create? Because it's how they have fun!. The same to us..."

Nelson I'd watch your fascination with children a bit. People will either think you're Mr. Rogers or a pedophile.

"And than a headache. And you always have to get more dozes to have the same effect. It's an addiction. You must be self-fulfilling to always have fun. You have to have fun alone and than have fun with someone...."

Drugs give me headaches? Says who????? And that more doses thing only applies to some drugs. Ditto addiction. And addictions vary from person to person. I talked about it with another person in this thread but I've been able to easily drop things someone would call 'addictions' cold turkey. Ditto my mom and dad. It's just a matter of slight will power. That's why I never understood the hubbub over quitting smoking. You just don't pick up a cigarette. Simple as that.

"Consistant drug use, wild, kinky weasel sex, scientific exploration, programming, hockey, cars, philosophical gibberings......"

Xev, my love!

13. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Nelson I'd watch your fascination with children a bit. People will either think you're Mr. Rogers or a pedophile."

Or a 'pedafile' like certain, now banned, posters.

"Drugs give me headaches? Says who????? And that more doses thing only applies to some drugs. Ditto addiction. And addictions vary from person to person. I talked about it with another person in this thread but I've been able to easily drop things someone would call 'addictions' cold turkey. Ditto my mom and dad. It's just a matter of slight will power. That's why I never understood the hubbub over quitting smoking. You just don't pick up a cigarette. Simple as that."

Ditto.

"Xev, my love!"

Darling!

14. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

Chemical addiction...
    But I agree with the variations...

Mr Rogers...?
    Nahhh... I just like children...

Enough to have many many children...

Awwwww...

[wedding march] Taa ta ta raaaa.... taa ta ta raaaa...[/wedding march]...

Love,
    Nelson

15. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Chemical addiction...
    But I agree with the variations..."

Not all drugs have chemical addictions. And some of them that do have very small chemical addictiveness. Something like cocaine is hugely addictive while (I believe) something like shrooms are more of a psychological addictiveness. And psych addictions are very easy to get over.

"Mr Rogers...?
    Nahhh... I just like children...
    Enough to have many many children..."

Man, that means either you or the woman (or the other man, I suppose) best be staying at home. It's gettin' harder and harder to find a woman these days that wants to be stay-at home.

"Awwwww...
    [wedding march] Taa ta ta raaaa.... taa ta ta raaaa...[/wedding march]..."

Nah.....although a little Barry Manilow may be in place....

16. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Other man...?:bugeye:
    Are you kidding...?

Stay at home!?!?!? The world is big!
    We will travel a lot...

17. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

Mr. Rogers? You know how long it takes that man to take off his coat and shoes........jesus.

18. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"Stay at home!?!?!? The world is big!
    We will travel a lot... "

Then you better make a shit load of money.

By stay-at-home in English we mean a mother who doesn't work. Who is a mother, not a worker. If you have 4, 5, 6... kids I'm hoping one of you stay home. Personally, I am not a supporter of having nanies raise children for you.

19. Tyler Registered Senior Member

Haha, touche Cactus.

'Another brick in the wall'

getting into the floyd?

20. Cactus Jack Death Knight of Northrend Registered Senior Member

"Getting into Floyd?" - DEAR GOD NO, been into Floyd for a LONG TIME

21. Xev Registered Senior Member

"Man, that means either you or the woman (or the other man, I suppose) best be staying at home. It's gettin' harder and harder to find a woman these days that wants to be stay-at home."

And is getting harder and harder to find women willing to parasitise...most interesting.

"Mr. Rogers? You know how long it takes that man to take off his coat and shoes........jesus."

Ha ha! Yes.

"DEAR GOD NO, been into Floyd for a LONG TIME "

You seemed the type who would appreciate.

22. Tyler Registered Senior Member

"And is getting harder and harder to find women willing to parasitise...most interesting."

Women want to work more, what can I say. It's not a wrong thing. They should be given every oppurtunity and every right. I'm not going to deny though that I feel more women working is worse for society. As far as raising a family goes, I believe kids are far better off having a parent raise them then a nanny. If more women (or more men for that matter) stayed home and raised their kids properly, perhaps we wouldn't have as many problems in youth.

23. TruthSeeker Fancy Virtual Reality Monkey Valued Senior Member

Tyler,

I'll do lots of money... believe me...

The girl I Love loves to work...
    I'm always telling her that she is too busy...

We will both be with our children at the same time...
    Work won't be between us!

And there will be 4...

Love,
    Nelson

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.