the brick wall, well its actually made of scilicone!

Discussion in 'Computer Science & Culture' started by Von Axel, Mar 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Von Axel Not perfect at all Registered Senior Member

So we see the power of proscessors rocketing, but in a purely electronical egineering sense things are getting a bit iffy...

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

There are a few reasons for me saying this, one, Hazards. Otherwise known as screw ups in logical layout (this means that the chip cant work as its wired wrong, an explenation for the regular but interested joe public). The technology is getting so small that actually working out the time that each signal would reach the next logic gate is getting quite tricky so knowing how to avoid Hazards (or screw ups) requires some innovation :bugeye: . Does anybody know a way round hazards that i would be interested in? If so please educate me.

Reason two, something called interferance. the size of the actual circuitry is so small that the signals interfere with each other rendering the proscessor useless

. This is a problem currently facing unfortunates designing new proscessors and is set to get worse. Again anybody know a new way round this problem that i may not have heard of?

lastly is the question of practicality of manufacture, currently proscessors should be veey cheap based on the proscesses of manufacture, the only problem is the proscessors are often defective, up to 1/8 of a batch will work, the rest are disgarde, if the proscess was less prone to error it would bring down the cost. However things will only get worse as power goes up, so its quite possible that high power computing will not be an option in the future for the regular public... But it begs the question, how much do we need? i have a P4 Vaio laptop, and aside from a crazy power board that keeps on killing things, last time it was my ethernet card this time its my sound card it does everthing i ask of it and then some. i don't need more power? so who does?

That said surely there is a limit for scilicone technology, and what will replace it, I wander what you guys can produce to educate me on other forms of computing.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Redrover Registered Senior Member

That reminds me of an essay from Carrington Vaston. When you think about it, what has really changed in the past 20 years?

Do we really need all this increased power? If processor speeds double every 18 months, what about a computer's usefullness or speed. Is typing an essay or surfing the web any faster than 5 or 10 years ago?

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Von Axel Not perfect at all Registered Senior Member

i'm talking of in the technical sense trying to see where it could be possible to go in the future, as certain aplications do need very high power computer systems. (in some cases more powerfull than the ones available).

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

If anything it is slower (Reasons: new Operating System and software that is too large and resource hungry, and Massive increase in internet users)

8. Von Axel Not perfect at all Registered Senior Member

ok... my point is, on a technical level ie with switches and transistors the increase in clock speed is close to impossible. So what else there in terms of new technologies, please don't start slating OS and or windows in particular as in general it all does run faster than it used to it takes less time to save large documents and engineering programs can be done in seconds on modern computers. so it has sped up, but some aplications still need more speed!

So what technonolgies might replace scilicone.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  9. Gifted World Wanderer Registered Senior Member

Some machines need alot of power. Of course, more machines may be cheaper. Are multiple processors a practical method, computer nerds?

Really, I can see only a few things that need more power, and those use supercomputers and such. Better software is what's needed.

10. Von Axel Not perfect at all Registered Senior Member

I dispare of you all!

I asked a simple question, What is going to be replacing the old tecnology of scilicone switching? And what do i get, software this software that, your all worse than politicians... i don't mind you going of on tangents, but the subject has yet to be discussed as nobody refrains from going on tangents!

11. spuriousmonkey Banned Banned

We wouldn't be sitting here answering your question if we would know what was going to replace silicone. We would be out there making money.

But your answer is plastic. A flexible plastic sheet computer. Not so fast as silicone but other possibilities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.