The Boston Marathon Bombing

Discussion in 'World Events' started by Tiassa, Apr 15, 2013.

1. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Well, I did refer to your linked statistics, above. Are you then collaborating with Spencer or Beck?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

If you're talking about the fact of conservative movements in Islamic belief, this really can really be denied. It would be like saying there was no such thing as conservative political belief in the US. Surely you're not denying the existence of demography?

Well, for one thing, ricin is considerably less explosive than actual explosives. In fact, there are a number of reasons why it gets more coverage: terrorism against common citizens, an attack on a marathon, for fuck's sake, whereas poison attacks on American politicians has been tried before, and on a much larger scale. It's also less sexy because the ricin mailer went after both Obama and a white Republican senator. Doesn't really fit into an exciting narrative. And, lastly, they just arrested the guy two days ago. How do you know he's a white supremacist? If so, why did he try to kill a white Republican senator? Do you have a link?

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

Population isn't the problem the actual incident rate is. The population total could be 1000 fold what it is but the once dent rate still means that probabilities dealing with that small portion of the population means things get screwy.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. pjdude1219 The biscuit has risen Valued Senior Member

not really. I recognize the statistics which are from one year and included some foreign based attacks that sometimes get excluded because of the fact almost all if the terrorism in the states is homegrown. The statistics I mentioned were from a 25 year period.

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

"Muslims have been involved in 45 domestic terrorist plots. Meanwhile, non-Muslims have been involved in 80 terrorist plots."

Number of Terrorist Plots involving Muslims post 9/11: 45
    Note "plots" rather than "attacks".
    Number of Muslim attacks post 9/11 is 5,
    a much smaller proportion of total attacks.

See http://www.johnstonsarchive.net/terrorism/wrjp255a.html

8. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

So you're then sticking to your unfounded assertion that there have been more Jewish terrorist plots in the US than Islamic ones. I repeat: do you have any support for this view?

9. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

That list is not exactly accurate. Columbine, for example, was not terrorism.

I'd have to do a proper tally, but there's been a hell of a lot more than five since 9/11.

10. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

i think he mentioned "in the 80s" or something.

11. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

If they are counting Terrorist "plots", this could give a wholly inaccurate count.
    What constitutes a "plot"?
    There is a big difference between thinking about doing something and actually doing it.
    In my opinion.

For example, I quite like the idea of going to Margaret Thatcher's grave,
    and pissing on it. But I won't do it.

With some of these "plots", everyone is a police officer except the "terrorist".

I the UK, people have been arrested and tried for downloading manuals.
    A 23 year old woman was tried and sentenced for downloading manuals and writing terrorist poems.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samina_Malik

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  12. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Not in that other post. He needs to back down or clarify.

13. p-brane Registered Senior Member

Setting aside the question of what groups in the west bear it the most ill will, of those groups outside the west that seek to radicalize them into action, there are none more active than muslims.

14. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

15. eram Sciengineer Valued Senior Member

Someone spotted these two before the FBI released their photos. So they're probably innocent. Perhaps they were providing some sorta security. Or perhaps they came from somewhere else and were still wearing their craft uniforms.

16. iceaura Valued Senior Member

I wouldn't be surprised to see bodyguards and mercenaries floating around near the finish line of the Boston Marathon - plenty of wealthy and otherwise targeted people actually running in that race, never mind in the audience.

I would have been surprised to be informed that the bomb planters arrived wearing matching paramilitary clothing and gear so easily traced in photos as well as attention attracting. And I think their bombs would have been a grade or two more effective. And I would have bet they never let those backpacks get three feet away from them at any time.

But hey, anything's possible.

17. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Good Point. That might explain the presence of military types hanging around the finishing point.
    Conspiracy theorists have been suggesting that they were government agents,
    but yours is a better explanation.
    I think you are right about this.

18. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

These are the Islamist attacks on US soil, post 9/11
    The two numbers represent killed, injured.

• 4 Jul 2002 Los Angeles, CA 2 4 TER-islm Egyptian gunman kills two Israelis, injures four at the El Al ticket counter at the Los Angeles International Airport

5 Mar 2006 Chapel Hill, NC 0 9 TER-islm man drives vehicle into pedestrians at the University of North Carolina

28 Jul 2006 Seattle, WA 1 5 TER-islm gunman fires on women at the Jewish Federation of Greater Seattle

1 Jun 2009 Little Rock, AR 1 1 TER-islm one Army private killed (William Long), second injured in shooting attack at Army Navy Career Center, Little Rock, Arkansas.

5 Nov 2009 Foot Hood, TX 13 44 TER-islm shooting at Soldier Readiness Center

25 Dec 2009 MI 0 3 TER-islm Yemeni terrorist attempts to detonate bomb on flight from Amsterdam to Detroit; bomb only ignites, and passengers and crew subdue the terrorist

15 Apr 2013 Boston, MA 3 183 TER-islm two bombings at Boston Marathon kill 3 (including 1 child) and injure 183 (including 8 children)

18-19 Apr 2013 Watertown, MA 2 2 TER-islm one police officer killed, one injured during manhunt for the Boston Marathon bombers; one terrorist killed and one injured and captured

19. Bebelina kospla.com Valued Senior Member

Aww shit, they're on to me! They found female DNA on the bombs!

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

20. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

21. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

Cherchez la femme.

22. Captain Kremmen All aboard, me Hearties! Valued Senior Member

I don't know who he is.
    Someone on the internet.

It isn't listing plots, it is listing attacks.
    I suppose you could count crashing your car as a jihadist attack.
    Though there were only minor injuries.
    You could call it bad driving rather than terrorism.

Any more not listed?
    Any with severe injury or death?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2013
  23. GeoffP Caput gerat lupinum Valued Senior Member

Yeah but it doesn't have all the attacks, and the posts Bells put up was about plots. Seriously, who the hell is this Johnston guy?