The Body's Weakest Link?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carcano, Jul 2, 2012.

1. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Great running instruction, but doesn't work well for walking.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*nods* I actually prefer to go barefoot... it's strange how quickly you can adapt to going barefoot, even in the snow. One thing I HAVEN'T been able to overcome easily, though, is how TRASHY the Harrisburg area is... so much trash and glass everywhere... not much can prepare you for that, and there isn't much to do about it except be observant.

But yeah, shoes make walking such a CHORE on the body.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Some light weight sandals are almost as good as being barefoot without the disadvantage of having no protection from the trashy environment. But even getting used to sandals makes it hard to put shoes on again.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Sadly nowhere around here seems to have decent sandals - best I've seen are flip-flops and, well, they just hurt after a while... it's like strapping a piece of plastic to your feet :shrug:

8. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

The last pair I bought off the Internet after a few minutes of browsing. They were just what I wanted and they lasted me about 5 years. Make sure you get the ones that have Velcro connecting straps for comfort and easy use. For durability hiking sandals are nice. If you can afford it the ones over $100 are really worth it.

9. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

10. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

I walk pretty much the same motion as running, just with less "spring" and force - since starting that, it's helped reduce the tension in my back a LOT and my back spasms have stopped almost completely.

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Likewise.

Unlike horses, which have completely different ways of moving at different speeds, we still put one foot in front of the other whether we are walking, jogging or running.

Our joints flex for a reason. They both absorb and redirect energy when we use them properly.

12. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

*nods* it's odd how much more energy you have when walking/running properly... as well as how much more nimble you are!

13. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

14. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

15. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

I did not post a link to race walking because it does not strike me as a natural gait for our species. It is a very exaggerated way of going. :bugeye:

16. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Maybe, however it does define the difference between walking and running. They are two separate modes of human movement. Typically with walking you set the heel down without jarring the bones, so it's not much of a health issue that running can be. I would say if you are not putting your heel down first, you are not walking. Possibly running very slowly?

17. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

It's all 'controlled falling', depending on how one looks at it.

This reminds me of the debates among horsemen on how best to shoe a horse or whether a horse is better off without shoes. I'm of the bare hoof persuasion myself, except where special circumstances may be involved, as in very rocky terrain or when the weather has been wet for a long time, making the soles of the hooves quite soft and subject to bruising.

The whole of the human foot serves a purpose, IMO, and it depends on the terrain and our length of stride whether we will land heel, toe, ball of foot or flat-footed.

Neither my horses nor myself have ever blown a shift for lameness so I reckon we must be moving fairly close to correct.

http://www.isnhcp.net/News---Articles.html

18. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

I'm always for whatever works. But I'm just saying if your not putting your heel down first, it's not walking by definition.

As far as horses go, you will forever know more than I will. So what do you know about non steel hoof ware?

19. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Most definitions do not specify heel or toe first, so who's definition should apply?

Speed walking is a sport, so I'm not accepting that one.

20. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes it is a sport that has very clear rules as what separates walking from other forms of locomotion. Start putting your toe down first and you will be disqualified as a runner. Anyway, I wonder what type of shoes they ware and how do they customize them to make that type of walking bearable.

21. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

There seems to be only two rules governing this event and footwear is not one of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racewalking

I expect that footwear is variable between runners and the course to be raced. :shrug:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/237555-the-best-walking-shoes-for-racing/

22. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

If you have ever tried to race walk for even a short distance, the thought of that 50 kilometer walk freaks me out.

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Now there's something we can completely agree on!

I do not doubt that I could walk 50 kilometers but it sure as blazes would not be in 'race walking' form.