The Body's Weakest Link?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by Carcano, Jul 2, 2012.

1. Carcano Valued Senior Member

I was watching my favourite fitness coach recently talking about how certain kinds of weight lifting is actually dangerous without first strengthening the muscles of the lower back...specifically the Erector Spinae.

This makes them the body's weakest link...but why???
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvo2PDmL0E&feature=g-all-u

"A chain is only as strong as its weakest link." -Ancient proverb.

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. R1D2 many leagues under the sea. Valued Senior Member

I can't upload the video. An error on my phone.
    I have heard of this "ancient proverb" an I have always been told to lift "properly",
    Mainly with the legs.
    But since my "incident" my leg is a weak link. So is my back, the whole thing. Other than that I have a weak link. Hardly an since of humor. I take thing seriously most of the time an I can't spell words for nothing. But being here it has gotten some better ( thanks spell checker)
    ($h|T I'm tired!)

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Epictetus here & now Registered Senior Member

The body's weakest link? The soul!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

Greed

8. gmilam Valued Senior Member

Our ancestors hadn't really thought things through when they decided to stand up on two legs.

9. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

Whose body's weakest link?

Perhaps of a sedentary untrained Westerner, but probably not of many others.

10. Buddha12 Valued Senior Member

In the Olympics Westerners do very well winning many gold medals to show they have good physical bodies. In many sporting events like tennis, bicycling, golf and on and on they are also taking home many trophies and prizes. Why would you say something like that when you know better or are you just trying to show everyone how not up on the worlds events you really are?

11. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Back pain is exceedingly common among people and in my observation, it often starts from the ground up.

Watch people walk and move sometime.

Many wear a poor choice of footwear. Many more are born with less than balanced body symmetry, feet turned inward or outward etc. Nowadays, many travel with their eyes downward, looking at a handheld device, instead of watching their direction of travel.

Any imbalance of symmetry will be transmitted up the spine and placed increased pressure on other bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments.

It has a name: compensatory or secondary injury. Whenever we injure or misalign some part of our body, another part has to 'compensate' with the potential for overuse and injury. (googling 'compensatory injury brings up legal responses more than medical ones)

Here is an interesting article, IMO. http://www.sportsdoctor.com/articles/secondary.html

12. NeuroSoldier Registered Member

huh...I always thought a body's weakest link was either the muscles (including the heart), the kidneys, nerves for possible sensitivity, or the mind. Then again, medical studies was never my strong suit, but whatever, I gave it a shot.

13. Carcano Valued Senior Member

Thats right...feet pointing inward is normal however in children under 7.

Feet pointing outward is a very common distortion in adults, and I believe it can be corrected with specific stretching exercises...same goes for the 'supination' of the foot, that causes people to wear down the outside heel of their shoes.

14. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Nice illustrations, Carcano.

My understanding of these matters comes largely from less sophisticated imagery, but it serves the purpose.

Leg Set: Its Effect on Action and Soundness of Horses
    Melvin Bradley
    Department of Animal Sciences, University of Missouri-Columbia It is difficult to over-emphasize underpinning (feet and legs) when appraising the worth of a horse. Except for breeding stock, horses are useful only when in motion. In a very real sense, the horse is an athlete. Any physical handicap that causes it to be clumsy, use excessive energy to perform a task, be hard riding, lack strength or speed, or wear excessively, decreases its potential usefulness.

Figure 1A. Straight legs, good front.
    Figure 1B. Splay-footed.
    Figure 1C. Pigeon-toed.
    Figure 1D. Knock-kneed, narrow front, base wide.
    Figure 1E. Base-narrow.
    Figure 1F. Bow-kneed.

Figure 2A. Correct, good bone.
    Figure 2B. Pastern too straight.
    Figure 2C. Pastern too long and flat, angle different than foot, "coon-footed."
    Figure 2D. Calf-kneed, short, straight pastern.
    Figure 2E. Buck-kneed or over on the knee.
    Figure 2F. "Tied in" or fine bone below the knee.

http://horses-arizona.com/pages/articles/legset.html

Perhaps some better illustrations here: http://www.gaitedhorses.net/Conformation/BodyParts.htm

15. wynn ˙ Valued Senior Member

How about actually reading what I said?
    Or do you simply cannot but attack me personally?

16. Stoniphi obscurely fossiliferous Valued Senior Member

Except sedentary, untrained Easterners, Southerners and Northerners.

Seem to have missed quite a bit there, again.

17. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Carcano

I assume you are talking about a healthy bodies weakest link? You could be right about the lower back. Back pain is one of the top physical complaints people have, and back surgeons make a fortune in unnecessary surgeries.

I would suggest all types of back pain can be improved by exercising all the core mussels of the mid section. Funny how so many people with back pain will say it hurts to much to exercise. They will even get major surgery rather than try a little exercise.

18. Kittamaru Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Adieu, Sciforums. Valued Senior Member

Thing is, ANY "heavy" footwear musses with how you walk - truth be told, the whole "heel to toe" walk we do is terrible for us. You should actually walk landing on the pads and toes of your feet, allowing your body to absorb the shock into the muscular system, instead of on the heels and absorbing the shock into your bones (and as a result, knees and back).

19. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

Yes and getting padded insoles can really help that problem. This is a good route to go. Just be sure to buy the insole of your choice before you go out to buy your new shoes to make sure you get a good fit.

20. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

One can never totally trust 'spell check' when it comes to homonyms.

mussles

muscles

Of course, your meaning was clear KJ. I'm just demonstrating that I am actually reading this thread.

21. KilljoyKlown Whatever Valued Senior Member

A smaller picture of that plate of mussels would have been sufficient.

22. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Here is a good slow motion analysis of the motion of heel strike running compared to proper running technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrOgDCZ4GUo&feature=related

My chief complaint with winter in this climate IS the heavier footwear required by the extreme cold. During the snow free months I feel so 'liberated' in comparison and I have discovered neoprene waterproof boots as the ultimate light-weight footwear for use around the farm and garden.

23. scheherazade Northern Horse Whisperer Valued Senior Member

Hey.....I just post them as I find them, lol....

Other forums have an automatic re-size feature so perhaps I am spoiled in that regard.