The biggest difference between Christianity and Islam

Discussion in 'Religion Archives' started by Overdose, May 4, 2004.

1. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

The biggest different is "Jesus Christ"

First of all i want to say that Islam is NOT a new religion as many Christians like to think. Islam is just an updated version of Christianity. Well, some of you might ask why did we need an update?

After the death of Christ, Christians started to believe that he was the God himself or the son of the god.They started to worship him (as many still do) They made the cross a religious symbol. (Symbolizing religion is not a good idea. It just degrades the religion because people who dont even have a clue about Christianity carry crosses in gold just to look cool)
    As i just said, people started to worship Jesus instead of the God. So, God sent another messenger Hz. Muhammed (s.a.v). He is just a messenger for Muslem people. He was a man like any of us. He did mistakes like all of us. In almost all of his speeches he kept repeating that he is just a messenger and there is only god to whom people should worship. If you read Hz. Muhammed's speeches then you will understand me better.

Hz. Muhammed came because people before him made the mistake in worshipping the messenger instead of God. In his farewell speech he didnt want anyone to make a picture of him. Because he knew that people would start worshipping his pictures instead of God. Thats why Islamic art is not like Christian art. People were afraid of making portraits. They understood Hz. Muhammed wrong and didnt make any portrait pictures. Finally, Hz. Muhammed kept saying that there is one God and there are his messengers like me, Jesus......

Muslem people respect and believe in Jesus. He was a prophet and a messenger. Christian people do not believe in Hz. Muhammed for some reason. According to Islam, Jesus didnt suffer at the cross and was saved by God.

I think that this makes sense. What is the main reason for Christians to believe that Jesus wasn't a normal human being. If Jesus was God or God's son then who was Hz. Muhammed? Who is Jesus' mother? Why would he die at the cross if he is God's son?

P.S I dont want to attack any religion here. These are just my opinions and questions.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. Paula Registered Senior Member

There is no appreciable difference in terms of results in having Jesus die on the cross and be resurrected or having Jesus appear to die on the cross and appear to be resurrected. There is absolutely no point in it. The Quran mentions many times that Jesus is the Messiah in which case we must refer to the prophetic books of the Old Testament which state that the Messiah is Lord. Isaiah 53 clearly spells out that the Messiah will come and suffer and be put to death to redeem our wickedness.

The original Book of Isaiah exists in an Israeli Museum and dates some seven hundred years before the birth of Christ.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Islam does not say Jesus appeared to die on the cross or appeared to be resurrected, he was never crucified, he never died let alone resurrected.

That is not true, the Quran always refered to jesus as JESUS THE SON OF MARY, THE MESSIAH.

Beside so many parts of the bible testifies to the muslim belief that Jesus was NOT God, John 5:30 is great example.

So if Jesus is God, who was Moses worshiping before the coming of Jesus ?

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

Jesus? No you are wrong, buddy. Christianity is so diversified that christians have varying beliefs about jesus, some of which are no different from the muslim view.

The biggest difference between Christianity & Islaim is LOVE. L O V E. LOVE!

Christianity values love more than submission (or anything else). Islam values submission more than love. Which is why christians are better in having around than muslims, imo.

8. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

True, how many thousand sects are there in christianity ???

Sure, let me show you some examples of CHRISTIAN LOVE from the bible !

2KI NGS2:23-24 Forty-two children are mauled and killed, presumably according to the will of God, for having jeered at a man of God.

2KI NGS5:27 Elisha curses Gehazi and his descendants forever with leprosy.

CANNIBALISM IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE !

2KINGS 6:29 "So we cooked my son and ate him. The next day I said to her, 'Give up your son so we may eat him,' but she had hidden him."

MUTELATING DEAD BODIES IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE !

2KINGS 9:30-37 Jehu has Jezebel killed. Her body is trampled by horses. Dogs eat her flesh so that only her skull, feet, and the palms of her hands remain.

BEHEADING IS ALSO A FORM OF LOVE( CHRISTIAN LOVE THAT IS )

2KINGS 10:7 Jehu has Ahab's seventy sons beheaded, then sends the heads to their father.

KILLING RELATIVES OF YOUR ENEMY IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE !!

2KINGS 10:14 Jehu has forty-two of Ahab's kin killed.

ERASING WHOLE CITIES IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE ACCORDING TO THE BIBLE!

2KINGS 10:17 "And when he came to Samaria, he slew all that remained to Ahab in Samaria, till he had wiped them out, according to the word of the Lord ...."

USING TRICKERY IS ALSO A FORM OF LOVE !

2KINGS 10:19-27 Jehu uses trickery to massacre the Baal worshippers.

KILLING MUST BE IN THE THOUSANDS TO BE FORM OF CHRISTIAN LOVE ! !

2KINGS 14:5, 7 Amaziah kills his servants and then 10,000 Edomites.

THE CHRISTIAN LORD HIMSELF INTERFENE IN THE ' SLAUGHTER' BUSINESS ! IT IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE !

2KINGS 15:3-5 Even though he did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, the Lord smites Azariah with leprosy for not having removed the "high places."

RIPPING OPEN PREGNANT WOMEN IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE !!

2KINGS 15:16 Menahem ripped open all the women who were pregnant.

THE CHRISTIAN LORD SENT 'LOVE ANGELS' TO KILL HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS OF INNOCENT MEN !!

2KINGS 19:35 An angel of the Lord kills 185,000 men.

KILLING YOUR OWN BROTHERS IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE ACCORDING TO CHRISTIANITY!!

2CHRONICLES 21:4 Jehoram slays all his brothers.

THE CHRISTIAN GOD HIMSELF TRAIN HANDS FOR WAR AND BATTLE ! SO MUCH LOVE INDEED !

PSALMS 144:1 God is praised as the one who trains hands for war and fingers for battle

EATING YOUR OWN FLESH AND BECOMING DRUNK WITH YOUR OWN WINE IS ALSO FORM OF CHRISTIAN LOVE !!

ISAIAH 49:26 The Lord will cause the oppressors of the Israelite's to eat their own flesh and to become drunk on their own blood as with wine.

THREATS OF TOTALL DESTRUCTION IS ALSO A FORM OF CHRISTIAN LOVE !

EZEKIEL 6:12-13 The Lord says: "... they will fall by the sword, famine and plague. He that is far away will die of the plague, and he that is near will fall by the sword, and he that survives and is spared will die of famine. So will I spend my wrath upon them. And they will know I am the Lord, when the people lie slain among their idols around their altars, on every high hill and on all the mountaintops, under every spreading tree and every leafy oak ...."

THE CHRISTIAN LORD GIVES ORDERS TO KILL EVERYONE ( OLD, YOUNG, WOMEN, LITTLE CHILDERN ) THIS IS VERY IMPRESSIVE LOVE !!

EZEKIEL 9:4-6 The Lord commands: "... slay old men outright, young men and maidens, little children and women ...."

KILLING YOUR FIRST BORN CHILDERN IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE !!

EZEKIEL 20:26 In order that he might horrify them, the Lord allowed the Israelites to defile themselves through, amongst other things, the sacrifice of their first-born children.

THE CHRISTIAN LORD TURNS BUTCHER !! FOR LOVE REASONS !!

EZEKIEL 21:3-4 The Lord says that he will cut off both the righteous and the wicked that his sword shall go against all flesh.

COLLECTIVE PUNISHMENT IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE IN CHRISTIANITY !

EZEKIEL 23:25,47 God is going to slay the sons and daughters of those who were whores.

HOSEA 13:16 "They shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up."

CURSING WITH ARROGANCE IS ALSO FORM OF LOVE !!

MATTHEW 11:21-24 Jesus curses [the inhabitants of] three cities who were not sufficiently impressed with his great works.

We valued the CHRISTIAN CRUSADERS so much, they were filled with love and oh...blood !!

9. DoctorNO Ultra Electro Agnostic Registered Senior Member

Awe you are just sore that the Muslim horde was defeated by Charles Martel when they tried to invade france. Which led to the "driving to the sea" of the muslim occupiers of spain.

10. Paula Registered Senior Member

Proud Muslim,

Jesus Christ was man and God, come down to redeem humans because we had put ourselves too far from God. Jesus was the human aspect of God, a bridge between the two if you will. I don't know if you're aware of the saying "If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself". That's essentially the deal with Jesus. No Christians believe God existed only from the point of Jesus onward. Jesus was a piece of an already existing God come down to prove His love for us.

This verse from An-Nisa makes it clear that Jesus was made to appear to have been crucified:
    4:157 That they said (in boast), "We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah.;- but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not:-

There is absolutely no reason to believe that God is, or needs to be, duplicitous in this manner (or any other).

This is another reason why Christians don't believe in Mohammed because who needs a Prophet 600 years after the Messiah? All of our prophets were prophesying the coming of the Messiah or the events leading up to and surrounding the appearance of the Messiah.

DoctorNO has another good point. Christians differ in the degree to which they consider Jesus God, a part of God, the Son of God or simply endowed with the Holy Spirit for His work here on Earth. However, we are in general agreement that to emulate a Christ-like life is the best way to be nearer to God.

11. Paula Registered Senior Member

Proud Muslim,

Whenever you wish to defame Christianity you refer to the Old Testament. When Jesus came He made clear to people that hatred, war and judgment were not the true paths to God. Hence the directive to "love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you" Matthew 5:44.

Jesus does not personally curse three towns, He tells them that "it will be more tolerable for Tyre and Sidon on the day of judgment than for you". Matthew 12:23
    This is a warning, not a threat, to the unrepentant towns that had witnessed His healings and great works and still failed to believe.

12. §outh§tar is feeling caustic Registered Senior Member

Hahahaha!

God didn't do things correctly the first time so what you are saying is He had to bring an "updated" religion to help clarify things because He wasn't good enough the first time.

Think.

Last edited: May 4, 2004
  13. 420Joey SF's Incontestable Pimp Valued Senior Member

I think both religions were poory developed.

If I believed in organized religion, I'd have to say that islam - seems more sound.

14. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Joey you have no idea what you are talking about

15. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

Southstar you think first!

God gave human beings free will and so human beings did whatever they wanted. We are not puppets. So, it wasnt God who made a mistake but we human beings. Anyway, enough with this...

I am a little confused here. So who was Jesus in Christianity? Was he God himself or a piece of god (what does a piece of God mean?), son of God? What is it that Christians believe?

Muslems believe that Jesus was a messenger and nothing much. Clear enough
    What do Christians believe?

I also read on cnn one time that 70% of religious leaders in USA dont believe that Allah and the Christian God are the same. Why not? Do Christians believe that they are chosen people of a specific god?
    In my honest opinion, none of the western world would be Christian right now if Constantine wouldnt have accepted Christianity as Roman Empire's religion.

16. Porfiry Nomad Registered Senior Member

PM, cease with the bold, red, and all capitals text.

17. Proud_Muslim Shield of Islam Registered Senior Member

Or are you just sore that the Muslim armies CONQUERED Constantinople, the capitcal of christendom and make it is MUSLIM CAPTIAL TO THIS VERY DAY !

18. path Militant wiseguy Registered Senior Member

Overdose the acceptance of christianity by Constantine didn't occur in a vacuum. It was a shrewd decision on his part, he saw how rapidly christianity was spreading and decided to get the drop on it and thereby bring it under the control of the roman state. This worked quite well for the most part, ironically however the association of christianity with empire had a negative effect in many of the far reaches of the empire. This made for fertile ground when islam came along as some people were more than happy to accept anything that wasn't associated with rome.

19. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Aren't muslims pissed at turkey because it is secular? How is Istanbul a Muslim Capital? Anyway, western christians already looted it before you got there.

That's what's so funny about christianity. Early christians gave christianity to the barbarians. The barbarians took the ball and ran with it. A few centuries later, they looted the center of Eastern Christianity. Those crazy barbarians.

20. Overdose From the steppes of Mongolia Registered Senior Member

Nexus what are you talking obout? Western Christians looted Constantinople before the Ottoman Turks got there? Are you talking a about the Crusaders who looted their own center

Constantinople had all its richness when the Ottomans conqured it.

Turks believe that Arabs are angry at Turks because we are secular. I really want to know PM's opinion about this. He once said British Agent to Ataturk, which doesnt make any sense.

21. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

Indeed, it is the crusaders that I'm talking about. As far as I know, the muslims never looted constantinople before that, and after, Constantinople was greatly reduced in richness. I'm sure they had some wealth left, but the Ottomans were 248 years late for the feast. They had to be satisfied with the leftovers.

While looking on the net real quick to make sure I didn't miss any major invasions, one of the first sites I found was called "Barbarians" Timeline, which seems to equate the invading muslims as "Barbarians". I would think that this was kind of backwards, as the muslims were in their prime, hardly barbarians.

So, in case the confusion is in my use of barbarian, I mean the western European barbarians. Their christianity was different than the older christianity represented in Constantinople. Many of their older pagan traditions had crept in. (And remain there, I might add.)

In a way, it was inevitable that the western Europeans would someday invade Constantinople. Their religions were diverging. Imagine the schism that would exist today if Constantinople had never been invaded. I guess that eastern orthodox christianity still maintains the Constantinople christianity, but without Constantinople they are without a center.

So, in a way, perhaps they did the christians a favor.

22. okinrus Registered Senior Member

The Franks were not barbarians. Their intentions were to liberate the holy land from the muslims from the holy land.

I'm uncertain what you mean by this. Are you suggesting that the Orthodox Catholism, with it's icons and veneration of Mary, has less pagan influence than the Latin rite?

No, both Orthodox and Latin traditions remain pretty much the same.

There's no such thing as Constantinople Christianity.

You might be interested reading the documents present here.
    http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook1k.html

23. invert_nexus Ze do caixao Valued Senior Member

The franks were descended from barbarians. Their barbarity was in the past, but many of their customs were still quite barbaric. I would call sacking the city of an ally somewhat barbaric. But, of course, it's all semantics.

To tell you the truth, I don't know much of the eastern orthodox church. What I do know of it, it seems vastly different than Catholicism, and even more so to Protestantism.

Of course there's no such thing as Constantinople christianity, what I mean is Constantinople Type christianity. With the icons and all that. I have always assumed that the christianity practiced in Constantinople was closest to the original christianity, because it was the first state accepted version of christianity. I am probably wrong about that, but that's the idea I picked up researching this stuff. Of course, it had it's pagan influence as well, but still closer to the original than what was practiced in the west.

A note on the difference between Eastern and Western Christianity: Many western christians that travel to Jerusalem and visit the Church of the Holy Sepulchre are very uncomfortable there. It's not like what their expectations of a church should be. The rites are strange. Of course, this is all subjective.

If Constantinople had not been conquered by the Ottomans, don't you think they would have their version of the Vatican there? Then there would be a Constantinople Christianity. There was enough of a rift between east and west from the split 200 years before to merit the sacking of a city. How much more would exist 800 years later? Anyway, it was just an idea.

Besides, even if I am wrong about which could be called closer to the "true" christianity, the point was that Constantinople had already been looted by fellow christians before the Ottomans ever got there.

Here's my attempt to bring this thread back to topic. The difference between Christianity and Islam would be that Islam took the stories of the Bible and retold them in different ways. The eastern and western versions of Christianity have much in common, because they still read the same book. The Christian differences would be in interpretations of the same book. So, much would be in common, but interpretation can differ greatly, possibly enough to start wars.

I knew I'd be opening up a can of worms.