The Big Bang and Inflation:

Discussion in 'Astronomy, Exobiology, & Cosmology' started by paddoboy, Jul 20, 2015.

1. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

Yep, it is called trolling.

2. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  3. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Please Register or Log in to view the hidden image!

Oh he was certainly serious. He also inferred the same confused notion in an earlier post.

4. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  5. sweetpea Valued Senior Member

I thought river was giving paddoboy a dancing lesson... Pad step back, box step,Pad step back, chasse and twirl.

paddoboy likes this.
  6. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide all adverts.
  7. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Notice how randi beam has now disappeared after being exposed.

8. wellwisher Banned Banned

I have a question and observation about the expansion of the universe. Since stars undergo fusion, with mass burn into energy, and this energy output is able to escape the star, easier than does its contained mass, doesn't this means the mass/energy of the star is decreasing over time? According to GR, doesn't this also mean space-time is expanding around all active and radiant stars, as mass lowers and energy leaves?

9. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

My understanding (slight as it is) is that the space would be warped less as the mass decreases, but it would not expand in the same way that the universe is expanding. I am sure someone with more understanding will chime in.

10. paddoboy Valued Senior Member

Firstly the energy output/loss by any star, is very tiny compared to the overall mass of the star.
    As any star loses mass, it gradually warps spacetime to lesser extents.
    Spacetime expansion is observed over larger scales.
    Over smaller scales, solar systems, galaxies, groups of galaxies, the spacetime expansion is overcome by gravitational attraction, so no spacetime expansion happens around any star/galaxy or even groups of galaxies. M31 [Andromeda] for instance, is gravitationally bound to the MW.

11. BdS Registered Senior Member

what about the energy the stars receive from all the other stars shining back at them? input vs output?

12. origin Heading towards oblivion Valued Senior Member

There is no doubt that there is a net loss of mass from stars. The sun loses about 4 million tons of mass each second!